The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - The Most Embarassing Thing On Your HD - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: IhDmN
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:49 on April 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Alright, alright, I have to confess this is really embarassing ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:00 on April 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
OK Mr. C you gotta admit , that guy wins, he beats even you with that one :P
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 05:25 on April 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
...If they weren't just 3d models. :P
Posted at 03:46 on April 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
UNLOCK V.I.P. PICTURES: Use points collected during the game to unlock over 48 pictures of the V.I.P. team, including hot and sexy shots of Pamela Anderson.
I see... you really need a game for this ;)
-----
Posted at 19:07 on April 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I've got this installed on my hd:

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/vippsx/

You need to play it to understand what I mean, target audience must be bimbos. :)

I don't know why the site insists it's a PSX only title but I wouldn't be upset if it was.

Edited by Burseg at 03:10 on April, 27th 2003
Posted at 02:58 on March 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Shadow at 05:28 on March, 23rd 2003:

P2P Networks are just the same as the US Mail. You can use the US Mail to ship pirated software to friends, but the US Postal Service isnt responsible for that.
Wrong. Do you remember the case against AOL and some other ISPs? They were made responsible for contents provided through the Internet (thus accessable through their service). Makes no sense, but that's the way it is: as soon as your server is actively involved in spreading illegal data, you're responsible.
-----
Posted at 21:28 on March 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
P2P Networks are just the same as the US Mail. You can use the US Mail to ship pirated software to friends, but the US Postal Service isnt responsible for that.
Posted at 22:13 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
True Tupak, but tell me them and probably governments as well don't spy on your computer anyway
-----
Posted at 19:17 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
But before they can sue an indivisual user, they had to admit that they're spying his private transactions. ;)
Posted at 17:17 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
When they start to fine the individual users for breaking copyright, then maybe people will stop using things like kazaa :P
-----
Posted at 16:57 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Exactly. All what those programs does is to allow 2 people to get in contact together, and that's extremely far from being illegal.

What is illegal is what is being sent from one user to another, and they can't make KazaaLite responsible for that.

Thus, the program is perfectly legal.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 03:26 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This is what the how it works link in the Kazaa program says

Peer-to-peer (P2P) and How KMD Works
Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) uses peer-to-peer technology. This means that individual users connect to each other directly, without need for a central point of management.

All you need to do is install Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) and it will connect you to other KMD users.

so therefore no central server, ti just downloads bit and pieces form the fastest available online users.
Without a central server, one would assume that it isn't possible to take them down because technically they aren't hosting illegal/copyrighted files
-----
Posted at 02:26 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
In the options for Kazaalite there is "Do not function as a supernode", this proves to me that there is no ONE server that can be taken down, in essence I am led to believe that everyone acts as a supernode, though only the fastest become are what we perceive as "servers" of locations of files.

This is why the music companies when attacking the "servers" of the Kazaa network are actually attacking the people with the most amount shared on the network, not computers that create a connection to a network.
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
Posted at 06:03 on March 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As far as I know, the people who are running servers used by Emule could be sued and the servers would be shut down if it could be proven they didn't take enough measures to ban illegal contents being spread over their service. Since these servers are all run by different people, they'd all have to be taken down individually though, it would require a huge effort to collect proof against all of them - and new ones could always open at the same time.
-----
Posted at 04:46 on March 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
What about eMule/eDonkey/OverNet? You have to connect to servers to use those, but I don't think they have 'central' servers like Soulseek or Napster... Also, no-one has ever tried to shut it down (that I know of) although there are plenty of sites which 'only index files on the network' - like Sharereactor - but in fact are offering tons of warez by sharing them on the network... apparently having such a site is NOT illegal. :confused:
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 02:27 on March 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I think gnutella is on a different server
Gnutella isn't on any server - that's the whole point!
-----
Posted at 17:31 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
No, I think gnutella is on a different server. I do know, however, that KaZaA shares the same server as Grockster, which came out before KaZaA and doesn't have any spyware. The website where you download it is now defunct, though.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 17:26 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I'm pretty sure Kazaa uses the same system as Gnutella.
Anyway as quick as you shut down one, ten more pop up to replece it, look what happened after napster left.
-----
Posted at 14:13 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I don't know how Kazaa works, but any program like this which doesn't work with central servers, but relies fully on direct connections between the users is impossible to shut down. The software is legal anyway, Napster only got busted because all the illegal material for which the users 'misused' the program went through their servers. Networks like Gnutella don't have that problem. If more users would just understand this...
-----
Posted at 12:50 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I am sure the users like it fine, don't you agree? ;)
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.