The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Updates - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: LgBpm
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 17:22 on December 27th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I know but as far as I can tell, this is one of the few threads that stayed on topic weird as it may seem... untill the last couple of posts Creo and cypher are constantly talking about the code (I assume it's always perl/cgi and variations) so... ;)
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 16:17 on December 27th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Remember the basic rule of this board: A topic title doesn't tell much about the actual content if a thread is longer than five posts. ;)
Posted at 14:42 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
k, tnx... this does clear up why I didn't know about it... seeing as I know didly about perl/cgi I kinda ignored that topic cause it looked like chinese anyways :)
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 14:36 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Perl/CGI question (or a similar title). At the same time, he was constantly bitching about the 'new' hosting of TGOD, how bad it all was and how free hosts would be so much better. That was something I didn't take really positively, either...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:32 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
wow, obviously I missed a whole load there... what thread are you reffering to if I may ask?
-----
Posted at 14:31 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
He obviously left after I told him I don't want his wannabe-hacking stuff in here.
-----
Posted at 14:27 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Has anyone of you seen Cypher around lately? Or did he change nicks without me realising it? Just realised I haven't seen him around for a while...
-----
Posted at 15:52 on December 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, he first went by 'Silmaril', later just 'The Sil' or 'Sil'. That happened a long time before Dregenrocks left though, at least one year.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:52 on December, 15th 2002
-----
Posted at 15:26 on December 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
That thihg with Adhoc really sucks. I almost forgot about Dregenrocks; time to play his game again.

Delos: I'm not sure whether I get his name right, but the guy with the baby was Silmaril (or something like that).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 04:12 on December 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Dregenrocks: Didn't his g/f have a baby? Or was that someone else??
No, that wasn't him :P
-----
Posted at 20:37 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Adhoc: 6 months ago he told be he was swamped by paper work from school, and that he wouldn't be on much, I guess he just forgot about us after not talking to us.

Dregenrocks: Didn't his g/f have a baby? Or was that someone else??

Silk: Not a clue, he seems to have been replaced by Pada1 ;)
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
Posted at 10:10 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Another 'lost member' just came to my mind: Dregenrocks. He's been gone for quite some time now. I don't remember any particular event which made him leave, he just didn't show up anymore one day. Has anyone heard anything?
-----
Posted at 09:23 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As for Silk, I think I remember him posting in the last days of the old forum (he had returned after a period of inactivity). The downtime and the move must have eaten him alive...
-----
Posted at 03:15 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
That's kind of strange indeed... I mean, why didn't he just leave a message somewhere telling us he is going to quit? The reason for that decision doesn't even matter, no one would have blamed him for it because it's all about volunteer work no one has the duty to do. :confused:
Posted at 03:01 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Adhoc's 'disappearance' didn't really go abruptly. Contact with him had broken a year ago already (at the end of last year), he suddenly never got on ICQ anymore, answered e-mails only after several days or not at all. Not just with me, everyone who 'knew' him noticed the same thing. Very bad for the TUOL crew back then, because they could never get in touch with him when they wanted to decide something. No idea why that was, he never said.
When we moved servers, I had to set everything up again of course, including his e-mail address. I didn't know his password, so I couldn't do it without talking to him. But how contact him? His e-mail address (obviously) didn't work, ICQ was ot of question by now, I didn't have his phone number or anything. I thought he'd certainly notice because when he'd try to read his mail, he'd get an error. Never heard from him. At the same time, he still did his TUOL updates (he had left TGOD without saying a word to anyone a long time ago - just check when he did his last update) and always 'signed' with this non-functional e-mail-address. Kind of defeats the purpose of such a signature...
At some point, I just had enough and put file says "ADHOC - READ ME" (all in uppercase) in the mailbox he had to use for the TUOL updates. There, I asked him to contact me. Again, nothing happened (it was two weeks if I remember correctly, in that period of time, he must have seen it four times).

Then, Elwood received an e-mail from Adhoc (from another address I guess) saying he'll quit. I never got to read that e-mail, I never received one myself. 'Officially', I never heard anything from him! I have to admit I didn't even bother to get the e-mail address from Elwood at that point because I thought if Adhoc doesn't want to have anything to do with me, then that's the way it is.

This may sound bitter and to be really honest, I am very disappointed with him personally! Of course this is just a hobby, if it wasn't any fun for him anymore or if something more important entered his life, fine, nobody would have stopped him from leaving! But I considered him a friend (as far as this term can be applied in the online world), we almost talked every day about everything. I got him into all this (you might remember he started as a 'translator' at TGOD), I was his first contact. Without me, he wouldn't only have ever worked at TGOD, but also at TUOL. Not saying I had any 'right' on him, that I 'made' him or anything. It is just that when you get to know someone, you usually don't just break up contact from one day to the next! And if you did, you normally at least give some short explanation later when you're leaving completely....
-----
Posted at 18:09 on December 12th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Adhoc has left The Good Old Days some months ago quite abruptly (I think TUOL, too). Don't know if he's still around somewehere...
Posted at 16:30 on December 12th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Can anyone update me on Adhoc and Silk? I havn't heard from them for a long time and was wondering whether somebody else has heard of them.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-