The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Nonsensical Game Names - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 9a0ix
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 11:47 on January 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
About Swiv 3D From: http://www.3dactionplanet.com/games/85.shtml
In this official sequel to SWIV, the Amiga unofficial 'sequel' to the classic Silkworm, rebels are waging war...
Maybe this is the reason? They probably just didn't have the right to call it Silkworm 3D or something like that. Your original point still stands though... the name makes no sense at all. :)
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 11:12 on January 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I can't speak for the whole world, but from what I know, the original Silkworm got a lot more of a 'following' than Swiv which was released at a very bad time (when the arcade games market on computers was very weak and dying). Could have been different in the real Arcades of course...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:03 on January 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well, the concept 'vertical 3D' could make sense, if it were used to describe a vertical-scrolling shooter rendered by a so-called '3D' engine (no computer game is actual 3D of course, but I think you get my point). However, I see that in this game you are free to move around in any direction, so the name Swiv 3D indeed makes no sense at all...
But if the game Swiv was much more popular than the original Silkworm and thus the name 'Swiv' started leading a life of its own (losing its original meaning), you can't really blame the designers for calling the follow-up 'Swiv 3D', after all who said game names should make sense in the first place?
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 10:32 on January 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Actually, I didn't explain it. I explained Swiv, but not Swiv 3D which makes no sense at all to me. Note the question at the end of the initial post.
-----
Posted at 20:07 on January 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
since I didn't even heard of that game yet until you posted about it.

Ignorant.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 18:50 on January 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Mr Creosote; you explained it yourself in the very first post of this thread. Unless I manage to play the game I can only guess a better explanation than yours, since I didn't even heard of that game yet until you posted about it.

Tuss; I don't understand where the problem is. Must be a sentence construction problem.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 15:03 on January 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In Lucky Luke stories, they do - see issue number 37: Canyon Apache ;)
-----
Posted at 14:58 on January 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Apache, Comanche; taken from the name of American natives who used to stand for hours on an elevated terrain, acting as long range scout. Those scouts usually then used smoke signals to alert their tribes. Anyways, the point is; fast retaliation and/or recon.

Apache and Comanche were tribe names, so unless you are saying the whole lot of them stood on a cliff, your statement makes no sense.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 06:46 on January 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, well - so what about "Swiv 3D" then? You said the names all make sense to you...
-----
Posted at 06:41 on January 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Do I really need to? sheesh.

Quote:
Military has never been known to come up with logical names. Take helicopters (Apache, Comanche, Werewolf), planes (Strike Eagle), submarines (Flasher, Rasher, Barb, Tang, Silversides, Spadefish, Trigger, Drum, Guardfish,....) - so why not call a small commando unit Silkworm?

Apache, Comanche; taken from the name of American natives who used to stand for hours on an elevated terrain, acting as long range scout. Those scouts usually then used smoke signals to alert their tribes. Anyways, the point is; fast retaliation and/or recon.

Strike Eagle; do I need to explain?

Flasher, Silversides; the submarine probably was reflecting light easily, reason for the name.

Rasher, Barb, Tang, Trigger; name says it all.

Spadefish, Swordfish; fish names.

Drum; name probably taken from the noise the engine was making. Or something similar in relation to the musical instrument.
-----
Posted at 17:06 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The master of explanation is back. Why not share your superior knowledge with us fools who can't make sense of the names?
-----
Posted at 16:43 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Those names make perfect sense to me.

As for silkworms; this is the only natural way to get silk on earth.
-----
Posted at 12:54 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
According to the manual of Silent Service, those are names of submarines of the 2nd World War. Silkworm doesn't have much text on the whole anyway, no story, no development ;) Still, better than 'vertical 3D'....
-----
Posted at 12:43 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Quote:
Flasher, Rasher, Barb, Tang, Silversides, Spadefish, Trigger, Drum, Guardfish

Are you sure those are submarines? Sound more like Santa's reindeer to me. :P

Anyway, you're right about the military's lack of logic in names (as in other things), and I guess Silkworm is probably the name of the unit, or something, though the game (as far as I remember) never even mentions that.
-----
C'est pas la chute qu'importe -- c'est l'atterrissage
Posted at 12:36 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Military has never been known to come up with logical names. Take helicopters (Apache, Comanche, Werewolf), planes (Strike Eagle), submarines (Flasher, Rasher, Barb, Tang, Silversides, Spadefish, Trigger, Drum, Guardfish,....) - so why not call a small commando unit Silkworm? ;)
-----
Posted at 12:30 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Well ... ahem ... yes. I meant in the context of the game ;). I still don't see the connection between small insects that produce fine natural fibres and arcade shoot-em-ups featuring jeeps and helicopters. :P
-----
Posted at 10:36 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
what the hell does Silkworm mean?
According to my dictionary, it is a caterpillar that spins silk around itself. Sometimes, it's worth looking unknown words up ;)
-----
Posted at 07:45 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
None of the names in that series make much sense: what the hell does Silkworm mean? I could never tell. And when Swiv came out, I remember a lot of people thought it stood for SilkWorm IV and were left wondering what had happened to parts II and III of the game.

So, I guess they're just keeping up with a grand old tradition of stupid names. Still better than most Japanese games, though...

Edited by Dizzy at 20:31 on January, 04th 2003
-----
Posted at 05:36 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I recently heard a really stupid name which inspired me to open this thread: Swiv 3D. I know the Amiga classic Swiv which was said to be an abbreviation of SilkWorm In Vertical (it is a follow-up of the horizontal shooter Silkworm). So far, so good. But what is vertical 3D???

All similar cases welcome ;)
-----