The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - This Weekend I'll be Going to the Moon - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: lp@8w
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 12:36 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Dizzy at 20:27 on January, 16th 2003:

It came with Your Sinclair, I think, and the only instructions you got was a page in the magazine with a list of the most basic commands in the tiniest print imaginable.

Your correct, it was Your Sinclair, and the reason the instructions were so limited was it was all a sneaky marketing ploy from Domark to sell loads of manuals.

2 pages of instructions and 2 pages advertising the manual. Cheeky buggers.
Posted at 12:33 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I should mention that I'm referring to the Amiga version of this - that one had a videotape, can't say anything about other systems, but on the other hand, why should it be different?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:27 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I used to have that covertape version of 3D Construction Kit as well. It came with Your Sinclair, I think, and the only instructions you got was a page in the magazine with a list of the most basic commands in the tiniest print imaginable. No manuals whatsoever, and certainly no VHS tape. Still, they were giving away a piece of software that cost a fair amount of money when it came out and that seemed to be very powerfull if you had the skill and the patience to learn how to use it.
-----
C'est pas la chute qu'importe -- c'est l'atterrissage
Posted at 12:23 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I had the pleasure to watch it once (approximately ten years ago), then the owner locked it away - as he did with all his software... :(
-----
Posted at 12:20 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Good. It needed it. :)
Posted at 09:30 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The original release of 3D Construction Kit even included a tutorial VHS cassette :D
-----
Posted at 09:21 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
<td valign="top"><div class="post"><div class="quote1">Quote:</div><div class="quote"><b>Posted by Dizzy at 14:39 on January, 16th 2003:</b><br /> <br /> Not only was it a great game, but also having that <i>solid</i> 3D on that hardware is nothing short of a miracle. </div><br /> <br /> The only other decent solid 3D came from Tau Ceti, and that was much less detailed than Driller or Castle Master, much smaller screen area as well. Still, Tau Ceti is one of the best ever also.<br /> <br /> Have you tried 3D Construction Kit? It allows you virtually full access to the Freescape engine, i think you need 128K to get the most out of it, the editing software runs in the M: drive on +2a/+3 models and you have the base 64K to play around with (obviously not counting your screen etc.) You could re-create Castle Master in its entirety with it, should you want to.<br /> <br /> I used to have a copy that came on a magazine coverdisc but there was no manual - you had to pay &pound;20 or so for that, and without the manual its hopeless. No on-line help with the speccy!</div><script type="text/javascript">post_quote[3899] = '[quote][b]Posted by Dizzy at 14:39 on January, 16th 2003:[/b]\n\nNot only was it a great game, but also having that [i]solid[/i] 3D on that hardware is nothing short of a miracle. [/quote]\n\nThe only other decent solid 3D came from Tau Ceti, and that was much less detailed than Driller or Castle Master, much smaller screen area as well. Still, Tau Ceti is one of the best ever also.\n\nHave you tried 3D Construction Kit? It allows you virtually full access to the Freescape engine, i think you need 128K to get the most out of it, the editing software runs in the M: drive on +2a/+3 models and you have the base 64K to play around with (obviously not counting your screen etc.) You could re-create Castle Master in its entirety with it, should you want to.\n\nI used to have a copy that came on a magazine coverdisc but there was no manual - you had to pay &pound;20 or so for that, and without the manual its hopeless. No on-line help with the speccy!';</script></td>
Posted at 07:18 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So Castle Master on the Spectrum was brilliant, but it still is on the Amiga :P
-----
Posted at 06:39 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I agree, Castle Master on the Spectrum was brilliant. Not only was it a great game, but also having that solid 3D on that hardware is nothing short of a miracle. Sure, the monochrome gets a bit boring, but it also makes for a tense and oppressive environment. I played the PC version a few years later and wasn't nearly as impressed.

Edited by Dizzy at 14:41 on January, 16th 2003
-----
C&apos;est pas la chute qu&apos;importe -- c&apos;est l&apos;atterrissage
Posted at 05:50 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Did you get the poetry Novella with it?
Funny that you mention it. It was sold to me 'without documents', but yesterday, the seller contacted me again saying he has found these missing docs - so I will get them, only a bit later :D
-----
Posted at 05:20 on January 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Castle Master is a great game, catapulting yourself off the draw bridge - brilliant!. Never played it on Amiga but Ive got the Speccy version, the Freescape is a bit crap in monochrome but the game itself is excellent.

The best 3D on the speccy, the first decent 3D since Driller was released 3 years before. Freescape rocks. Nothing else comes close if your after 3D on an 8 bit computer.

Did you get the poetry Novella with it? Thats good as well.
Posted at 08:21 on January 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Aaaaah! A package arrived today, containing the following games (all Amiga of course :P):

Kult (containing, in addition to the technical information, three books telling the story extensively)
Castle Master
Sim City 2000
It Came From the Desert (great map included)

Now I will at last be able to SEE decent Americans terrorized and HEAR teenage girls squeal in Thrill-O-Vision again :D
-----
Posted at 12:42 on January 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I have vague memories of that from when i had an Amiga (before I saw the light and switched to a new-fangled PC thingie :):P )

Ive never owned it or played it, but the title is 2nd to none :)

Goodies are fantastic, but they can sometimes ruin freinships. About 3 months ago I was at a boot sale with a few friends and after rooting through a big box of old PC and Amiga games I had found nothing I didnt either own already or wanted to buy so I moved on to the next stand.

5 minutes later my mate came up to me with a beaming smile on his face and a pristine copy of the original Ultima in his hand still with the cloth map in perfect condition. "Where did you get that!" I exclaimed, "The stall over there" he replied pointing to where I had just been searching.

Bastard.
Posted at 09:26 on January 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Congratulations :) You are absolutely right about the goodies - they really make the hunt for games worthwile. I just located a copy of It Came From The Desert including a great map myself, can't wait for it to arrive :D
-----
Posted at 09:17 on January 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Prof Gumby
Today is a great moment in the history of Fretz's videogame collection, the discovery of something which I have been seeking for some time, at least 5 years in fact and now, this quest has come to an end.

The most boringly crap game in the world (but I love it), Space Shuttle, complete with massive cockpit poster which is what I really wanted. The corner of the room where my PC is will now be transformed into a realistic space shuttle interior :), I'm glad I can tick this one of the list becasue I was starting to lose hope.

So, and this is the main reason for the post, to all the D/L GITS out there who people should know I hate by now (i realise the regs here dont really fit this bill but they do drop by occasionally), take a look at the attachment and then try and download this! HA!, Bloody search for the original for 5 years like I had to. hmph.

Edited by fretz at 17:24 on January, 08th 2003
Attachment: *****