The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Announcements - Announcements - Upgrade to Spam Board 5.0 RC3 - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: L1HSv
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 04:13 on January 5th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, much better.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 16:34 on January 3rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I've done various changes to the default font sizes. Better?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:57 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't have -all- fonts set larger in my default browser, I just have the -minimum- font size set to 13. On the vast majority of sites, this only affects things that are supposed to be in tiny fonts, larger items are unchanged. (Few sites use relative sizes like you currently are.)
That's irrelevant though, because it's the relative sizes of everything that I'm commenting on here. Take a look at the firefox screenshot (I don't use FF much, so I didn't bother to set any minimum font size in it). The headers look more normal sized in that, but then the regular text is friggin tiny. Most forums have the headers & titles close to the same size as th rest of the text, and that looks good. The largest text should only be about the size of the 1.2 text, or perhaps 1.3 at the most.
-----
Posted at 17:05 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hmmm... you've apparantely set your default browser to larger-than-normal default fonts. In that size, it all reminds me of my first Windows XP adventure - I was supposed to use it for programming, but due to the huge (and unchangable) font size, I couldn't fit more than five lines on the screen ;)

In any case, the relation between the headers and the rest are as intended. The h2-elements (with the light green background) are 1.5 times the size of the regular text, h3 (the forum names on the front page) is 1.2 times the base size. Of course, with a larger size to begin with, such a factor has more of an absolute effect. Anybody else have an opinion (assuming: no)?
-----
Posted at 16:13 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Oops, saved the pics but forgot to upload them. :o
They're uploaded now.
-----
Posted at 15:52 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The links are all 404...

As for the automatic logout, I just re-checked, and should indeed only happen if you didn't select 'remember' (or have cookies turned off), and even then, a session only expires after at least 15 minutes of inactivity (inactivity means not loading any new page; unfortunately, typing doesn't count). I thought that'd be enough, but for very long posts, it might be critical...
-----
Posted at 15:35 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
In my normal browser (uses the gecko GRE, like firefox, but with native widgets instead of bloated xul for the frontend)
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/spamclub-1.png
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/spamclub-2.png
In firefox
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/spamclub-3.png

I always have my browsers to accept cookies from the originating site, blocking cookies just causes too many problems on too many sites.
I haven't had the logging out problem again, so it was probably just a one shot deal, maybe I forgot to check the "remember me" box or something.
-----
Posted at 10:13 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Cypherswipe at 00:24 on December 21st, 2007:
Having to get a new password every time you change this thing is getting very annoying. :(

It's the last time, I promise. At least for a few years, that is ;)

In retrospect, the password change in version four was a bad choice, I have to admit. I didn't yet have the nerve to depend on PHP5, so I used a non-standard hash module to hack something together over night. PHP5 has decent hashing methods included by default, and now I'm using those, but I couldn't make that compatibile with the intermediate 'solution'. So, again, sorry, but in the end, it's only a couple of people who are affected anyway. And did I already mention it won't happen again anytime soon?

Originally posted by Cypherswipe at 00:24 on December 21st, 2007:
Suggestion: I think you should reduce the size of the headings

Those are given in relative size in the stylesheet, so I'm not sure whether it's a general issue (i.e. my bad taste) or a browser-specific interpretation. Could you make a screenshot showing one of those headings together with some other text and post it for reference?

Quote:
There might be an issue with login/cookies. I logged in, wrote a response to the atari 2600 thread, then when I tried to submit it I got a message saying I omitted the security code or some such. I went back, could find no such thing, submitted again, got the same error. When I went back again & refreshed the page, I found that I had somehow been logged out while writing my post.

That could happen if you don't accept (session) cookies. Is that the case?
-----
Posted at 00:24 on December 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Having to get a new password every time you change this thing is getting very annoying. :(

Suggestion: I think you should reduce the size of the headings (like the forum titles on the main page, the thread titles on the forum pages, the "REPLY" above this reply window, etc) by a size or two. Being -so- much larger than the rest of the text on the page just doesn't look right. In fact, I don't think it'd look good even if the rest of the text was in better proportion to it. It's like one of those large print/easy to read books.

There might be an issue with login/cookies. I logged in, wrote a response to the atari 2600 thread, then when I tried to submit it I got a message saying I omitted the security code or some such. I went back, could find no such thing, submitted again, got the same error. When I went back again & refreshed the page, I found that I had somehow been logged out while writing my post.
I don't know if it was just some one-time glitch or something bigger, but I figured I'd mention it & see if anyone else has had a similar issue.
-----
Posted at 22:15 on November 30th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As you can see, we're now running the latest release candidate of Spam Board 5.

Once again, there are numerous improvements in this version. I've already mentioned the openness in the last announcement. Feature-wise, we now have fine grained access control, user groups, better handling of profiles, thread subscriptions and much, much more. And at the same time, loading times should also be even better than in the previous version!

What I'm especially proud of is that this version guarantees well-formed XML output, because the XHTML code isn't just printed out, but the script constructs an actual XML tree internally before sending it to you once everything's been added to it.

Before you can use your account again, you once again have to request a new password via the 'Lost Password' function. I'm sorry, but breaking compatibility was unfortunately necessary again. I promise this won't happen again now, as the new password handling is really good and in no need of changing (well, at least in the next few years ;)).

RC of course means there are still bound to be bugs. Especially here in this forum whose database I converted pretty much 'by hand'. If you come across anything which you find strange or plain wrong, let me know. You can either open a ticket over at the project site or just post here - either way is fine.

What I can assure you of is not a bug is the 'broken' stylesheet you might encounter. If it all looks completely wrong design-wise, clear your cache, your browser still uses the old stylesheet.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:16 on November 30th, 2007