The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Time Streamer (the batch file game) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: a1G6e
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 22:53 on November 3rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I've uploaded the latest radio clip of Oliver Williams discussing John Titor on Coast 2 Coast AM with George Noory on march 20 of this year. I've removed the commercials.

>> Listen or Download here <<

Recap from C2C:
"Historian for alleged time traveler John Titor, Oliver Williams reviewed the facts of the remarkable case, and related some of Titor's past predictions to recent news stories. Titor's story has been pieced together from posts he made on Internet discussion boards beginning in November 2000 and ending in March 2001. He claims to have traveled to 1975 from the year 2036 (a period recovering from the devastation of World War III)-- to find an IBM computer that was needed to fix something in his time.

Williams believes that we could be living in an alternate reality that was changed by Titor's visit in 1975. Specifically, he did something to stop Y2K from happening, said Williams. According to the timeline Titor shared, America entered a Civil War between 2005 and 2010, then became involved in a global war which culminated in a nuclear exchange in 2015. By 2036, the population had been reduced by one third, society is more agrarian and the US capitol is in Nebraska. The country is divided up into five main areas, with states having more control.

Williams noted that the upcoming research at CERN may lead to unexpected breakthroughs in time travel-- and that Titor had posted comments connecting experiments at CERN to the development of time travel. Williams has created several podcasts related to the Titor story, which can be viewed on You Tube."

The game of Time Streamer was of course inspired around this story.

###

I short game play video for Time Streamer may be upcoming at some point.
-----
Posted at 20:47 on March 2nd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
This is the "final" version of Time Streamer. I thought some of you might like this.

DOWNLOAD

Here's a summary of what Time Streamer is:

Time Streamer may remind you of a BBS style door game from the late 80's, early 90's. Playing through the game takes about 1-2 hours. The game is inspired around the story/myth of John Titor (a time traveler) who supposedly came to this world timeline to obtain an IBM 5100 for his world timeline in 2036.

Difficulty: hard

Time Streamer features:

- Fully Randomized Combat System with Random Enemy Encounters
- Sound Effects
- RPG style Level Gains (/w new skills each level; 6 skills total, 8 levels total)
- ANSI style color graphics
- Sci-Fi storyline with some humorous undertones
- Selectable Weapons and "Shrines"
- NPCs (you can interact with/talk to)
- Randomized powerup/drop system
- Overall, what I might call a fairly advanced "text-based tactical engine"

System Requirements:

(Windows XP)

Because the code utilizes functions specific to XP it likely won't work in 98 or WinMe.

This game was programmed entirely in Windows NT batch scripting. The point
of this gimmicky exercise was not to make a "great game" but to _make a game_
with a toolset that isn't designed for it. As far as I know, there is no other
batch file games this elaborate and complex, much less a real game at all. I tend to
think this is a major leap in batch file game programming, and a fun game!

Even more info in the README.TXT
-----