The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - The Greatest PC Games of All Time: The '80s - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 2sO@Y
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 10:11 on February 28th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Originally posted by Tuss at 03:51 on February 28th, 2009:
Its only an honor that we bestow on those we like (to see suffer) the most!

So what do Americans do with people they really like? ;)
Posted at 03:51 on February 28th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Its only an honor that we bestow on those we like (to see suffer) the most!
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 10:20 on February 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh, so my limitless admiration of the everything American finally payed off? Great :D
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 02:54 on February 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Besides, Creosote is an honorary American :P
-----
Posted at 20:42 on February 12th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Ah, I thought you were replying to the part about being in all american schools. My bad.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 16:27 on February 12th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Eh, well, you stripped out the important context of the quote:

Originally posted by Tuss at 17:10 on February 7th, 2009:
Every computer in every school in America had, for whatever reason, a copy of Oregon Trail installed [...] I'm not sure if it was the same in Europe or not...

Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 10:54 on February 8th, 2009:
Most certainly not!

So, I hope it's now clear that I was trying to say it was 'most certainly not the same in Europe' :D
-----
Posted at 14:26 on February 12th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I can pretty much agree with every game on that list, except the damned baseball one.

Oregon trail is pure awesomness. It's hard to judge how good it is if you haven't played it until recently, but if you had played it in it's day you would agree that it is a very good game. It had challenging (for it's age bracket) strategy elements (such as what supplies to buy at the outset & how much of each, how fast to travel, what rations to set, whether to ford a given river or wait for a boat, etc) and it also had a few action elements (like hunting for food & the river race at the end). Most of the kids I knew played it primarily for the hunting part.

Quote:
Every computer in every school in America had, for whatever reason, a copy of Oregon Trail installed

Quote:
Most certainly not! I had never even heard of that game before this millenium.

Dude... You're german. As tuss said, every school IN AMERICA had it, not every school in the world.

re math games: There were 2 good ones in my schools, math(trash?) blaster & number munchers. In math blasters you had math formulas in a factory kind of setting & had to solve them to fuel up your space fighter. Once it was fully fueled, you went out into space & blew up space debris for points.
Number munchers was sort of like pacman. You were on a grid full of math problems & had to eat all the ones that totalled a given ammount. There were monsters that would come out at random & change the equations. If you ate a wrong equation or landed on the same square as a monster you lost a life, the exception is if a monster landed on a correct equation, then you could eat the monster & equation at the same time. (One common strat was to sit on a correct square & wait till the monster came to you before eating it.)
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
-----
Edited by Cypherswipe at 14:31 on February 12th, 2009
Posted at 22:49 on February 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
one where you had to flee from a dungeon solving mathematics problems, and if you took too long a dragon would come

People here are always discussing why kids aren't interested in maths and how to motivate them more. The abstract answer you hear most is 'make it clear to them how useful it is'. If that's not the perfect argument... ;)
-----
Posted at 11:59 on February 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
In my school we had the Adibou games, well, more like exercise programs for what I recall, and some other educative games I've never seen again, like one where you had to flee from a dungeon solving mathematics problems, and if you took too long a dragon would come.
Posted at 10:54 on February 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Tuss at 17:10 on February 7th, 2009:
Every computer in every school in America had, for whatever reason, a copy of Oregon Trail installed [...] I'm not sure if it was the same in Europe or not...

Most certainly not! I had never even heard of that game before this millenium. At my school, we had Ökolopoly ;) For obvious reasons ('colonization' not playing a serious part in history classes), Oregon Trail would have been of little interest.

Same reasoning with the Baseball game, I guess. If that had been a European list, it probably would have been Kick Off.

Originally posted by Tuss at 17:17 on February 7th, 2009:
Looking through the games, it seems that one of Elwood's screenshots got into the Wizardry article!

Nicely spotted :D It's indeed from The Keep!
-----
Posted at 17:17 on February 7th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Looking through the games, it seems that one of Elwood's screenshots got into the Wizardry article!
-----
Posted at 17:10 on February 7th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Explaining Oregon Trail is pretty easy. Every computer in every school in America had, for whatever reason, a copy of Oregon Trail installed, and a word processor. This is pretty much the choice you had at school. Probably nearly every American around my age played that game in a time when not that many people had a computer. I'm not sure if it was the same in Europe or not...
-----
Posted at 09:18 on February 7th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
GameSpy ran a list of 'their' top 20 games of the 1980s over the last few days, wrapping it up today (or last night - whatever).

Compared to most of the other comparable lists linked here, I must say I actually like this one. Yes, sure, the individual choices can always be discussed, but they don't even claim otherwise (unlike some certain 'definitive' lists....). If asked, I'd certainly object to the inclusion of the Baseball game (very 'American' choice) and Oregon Trail (on the one hand, nice to see an educational game included, on the other hand, certainly not that good). But as I said, it doesn't really matter.

Looking at the big picture, it indeed looks like a list of very good and at times extremely influential games. There are small descriptions of the games, not just a listing. And as you'll notice, they use the classic definition of 'PC' there, i.e. not restricting it to IBM compatibles. Good thing there isn't such an arbitrary restriction.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 09:20 on February 7th, 2009