The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Huge guest number - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: uZl3Y
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 16:25 on February 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As you can see, I deactivated this summation of users between site and forum again. I guess it's too misleading.

There weren't any bots involved in this by the way. Just one user who changed his IP address on every page call. This user's behaviour wasn't identifyable as a bot at all, though: He loaded a new page in intervals of 5 seconds to 5 minutes - which is quite typical for an actual human.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 22:14 on February 13th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Bots should be ignored in that number, but of course, it's not always possible to identify them properly. To be sure I've activated user agent logging for the sessions again - we should have accumulated some more data tomorrow.

I have changed one thing with the upgrade of the forum, though: The counters now not only take the number of people active in the forum, but also those active on the site. This makes sense because the sessions are shared (if you're logged in on the site, you're logged in on the forum and vice versa). I'm not yet sure if it's a good idea to combine those numbers for this display, but you should expect higher numbers because of that for now.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 19:12 on February 13th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Maybe there are so many guests. The forum is rather slow on my Computer Today. It's a pitty that they don't have anything to contribute. ;)
Posted at 18:56 on February 13th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby