The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Disk Image Project - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ENK4o
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 14:22 on May 12th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by TheDOSKid at 13:45 on May 12th, 2014:
Can I have a link to the Floppy Disk Image Archive?

Why, certainly - here is the secret URL: /diskimages/!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:45 on May 12th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Can I have a link to the Floppy Disk Image Archive?
Posted at 16:59 on April 4th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I uploaded the following.

1.Rules Of Engagement (version 1.0) both 5.25" and 3.5"
(http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/rules-of-engagement)

2.Falcon 3.0 5.25"
(http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/falcon-30)

3.PowerMonger (USA version) both 5.25" and 3.5"
(http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/powermonger)

4.PowerMonger (International version) 3.5"
(http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/powermonger)
(5.25" version is same as yours --079)

I also fixed (re-dumped) the following

1)Rules Of Engagement (version 1.02)
(000035_rules_of_engagement) --> version 1.01 (setup) / 1.02 (main program)

2)Starflight 2 (5.25")
(000380_starflight2)

3)Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (5.25")
(000103_ultima_underworld_the_stygian_abyss)

4)Martian Dreams (5.25")
(000071_martian_dreams)

5)Martian Dreams (3.5")
(000401_martian_dreams)

6)Ultima VI: The False Prophet (5.25")
(000099_ultima_6_the_false_prophet)

7)Ultima VI: The False Prophet (3.5")
(000400_ultima_6)
-----
Edited by ibmpc5150 at 20:57 on April 4th, 2011
Posted at 18:33 on March 28th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
>Just to be clear: When you say "broken", you mean "not >working" or "different from your version"?

A part of Disk 4 is broken. (Not working correctly.)
(Maybe this is bad dumped.)
I've checked this with 010 binary editor.
You can see your disk4.img.
All contents from 0012:3000 ~ 0012:3FFF (1000h , 4096 bytes) are 00h.
So I attached good dumped one.
Posted at 17:11 on March 28th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Just to be clear: When you say "broken", you mean "not working" or "different from your version"?
-----
Posted at 16:57 on March 28th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
015. Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold (International Version) is re-uploaded. (3.5" 2HD:6)
Disk 4 has broken.
But this is good dumped.

disk4.img
SHA1:719db1f09df71ab95830c4b3bad95328535e4193

Rest 5 files are verified!
-----
Edited by ibmpc5150 at 18:40 on March 28th, 2011
Posted at 19:46 on March 25th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I've fixed the disk image of the (00565) New Math Blaster Plus 1.0 (5.25" 2D X 2).
This image is modified in boot sector / date of file "grafinfo".
But I could fix this problem due to disk image from TOSAC
(1546_1.img / 1546_2.img)
Now disk image is just same as original default.

prg.img
SHA1:21691f9d8f23ede44aa35b5c4aeb9d4d1fc30c23

data.img
SHA1:0d558bac7d64087ca9e298eda83f7f7996733512
-----
Edited by ibmpc5150 at 19:48 on March 25th, 2011
Posted at 16:08 on March 25th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I've checked F-40 Pursuit (a.k.a Crazy Cars 2).
But the boot sector / FAT / score files are modified.
I've fixed this to match to original default.
This game has copy protected track.
So this must be re-dumped by Teledisk 2.1x on real DOS.
Posted at 09:15 on March 22nd, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Hi.

I've add more floppy disk images on ftp.
-----
Edited by ibmpc5150 at 07:40 on March 24th, 2011
Posted at 17:10 on November 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The current policy is to award points for anything which will help the general public (not just an elite circle). Just look at a few of the contributor profiles on the site and you'll see what's applicable. Aside from that, I recommend the FAQ.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:11 on November 20th, 2009
Posted at 16:47 on November 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
And I'll only receive points if you can make it downloadable?
Are these points a currency like we spend them or is it just something like a status/rank?
Posted at 16:40 on November 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
If the game is already reviewed and you provide a disk image, it will be added if we can make the game in question downloadable at all. Meaning it mustn't be sold commercially and the copyright mustn't belong to one of the companies we already had legal trouble with. A good measure: If there is already some sort of download of the game, more downloads are welcome. If not, there's probably a reason for that. You're still welcome to upload the disk images, they will then be listed on the collection page at least.
-----
Posted at 16:36 on November 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I'm a little curious about uploading to the collection. If there's already a page with reviews + screenshots + boxart then is there any problems with me just providing the images and a description?
Posted at 20:05 on November 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
As for managing the images. I must say it really can be tiresome. The test I do is installing the game, but it all can take time and is really boring. Also add when you have to test some of the existing images to see if they are different versions (it happens sometimes there are several versions, but as nobody knew there is nothing on the comments).

But right now the biggest problem is I'm lacking time, and the quantity of images awaiting to be added is growing. That also helps to consider a nuisance some of the requests.

At least the ones that come demanding. I've filled a few ones (I can recall two, problably there was no more), just the ones from people who asked me nicely, and even offered more images. But that makes even more people ask as if this was a free buffet, some even getting surprised when I tell them this is an abandonware page, and not some kind of floppy images vault.
Posted at 17:17 on November 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ideally, someone would sort, test and generally manage all the images. This is time consuming and not a very thrilling job, so I doubt anyone's really up to it. Answering requests would be great, however, there's still the problem of missing policy then. I seem to remember you not being sure whether to send out images, too. Personally, I went with 'default deny', i.e. I rejected all requests sent to me personally without further thinking.

What I have in mind is tying it to the site's credit system. Downloading images should be possible for users who have more than 100 contribution points. Jumping that hurdle, they can then download one game per point.

That wouldn't stop anyone from answering individual requests from people below that threshold, of course. I think, though, that it would eliminate the need to answer each request individually.
-----
Posted at 15:49 on November 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
There is still nobody putting any time into this, but requests are coming in regularly, so I think we need an automated system to handle itself.

What kind of automated system do you think of? I don't know any reasons against manualy answering requests. If you're searching for somebody who answeres the requests, I could do it. Or is it a more general problem you have in mind? (e.g. managing and testing the images)
Posted at 11:23 on November 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 11:38 on April 6th, 2009:
It would be simple (and I can't think of any reason against it) to offer access to the disk image catalogue based on the site's contribution rating. Just like access to the faster download server for CD images is currently handled that way.

There is still nobody putting any time into this, but requests are coming in regularly, so I think we need an automated system to handle itself. I quoted the above, because it fulfils the automation requirement and it's easiest to implement. If nobody protests, I will implement such a system in a few weeks.
-----
Posted at 20:31 on April 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by hydr0x at 20:13 on April 18th, 2009:
Well that's nice but I'd much rather create a backup than use one. After all that's one of the reasons I got these games for.

There's still a point to posting a list of missing / defective disks. Imagine someone else owns the same game, but has a defective disk also. Maybe two people combined can provide a full disk set. However, that's only possible if they both somehow indicate they have part of a disk set...

About AAoWaS, it's not all that uncommon for a game to be published in different formats. One of the versions might be a re-release using better compression, for example.
-----
Posted at 20:13 on April 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I'll give VGACopy a try ;)

About helping with images. Well that's nice but I'd much rather create a backup than use one. After all that's one of the reasons I got these games for.

One of the not working ones is The Ancient Art of War at Sea which is listed as

137 Ancient Art of War at Sea 1987 English 2 x 5.25" DS DD

in your list. My 1987 version only comes with one disk!? Doesn't look like it's missing a disk though
Posted at 10:36 on April 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Quite a few disks (~20%) have errors. Is there any way to fix these? I have a tool named DRevitalize which claims to be able to fix bad sectors in certain cases and I gave it a try with two disks. In one case it fixed(?) all bad sectors, in the other case it fixed none. After the fixes the first disk was copied by WinImage without errors. Can I assume the image is actually correct or is it possible it was altered by that tool and differs from a 100% OK original disk?

I personaly managed to save 40% of my defective disks with VGAcopy. It's an old MS-Dos programm which still can be found on the internet and which runs flawless under Windows XP.
But allways remember: Reading an defective sector for let say 100 times doesn't make the disk better.
Maybe you just post your defective games in my allready made post (http://www.goodolddays.net/forum/topic.php?id=2192) and we will se how we can help you. ;)
-----
Edited by T-Pow at 10:40 on April 18th, 2009