The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Contributions - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 3jFYh
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 15:41 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The best way to avoid this is to add images quickly after receiving them...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:40 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The thing is I don't expect many people looking at the hashes to see if they are the same or not, and also I'm lazy and don't like receiving images and then having to compare them (even if it's easier now we have the hashes).

And also, I feel it's a bit wasted effort if everybody would end uploading the images from the same source, it would be just like copying what is in another place. But there is no real way to avoid this, it's enough having people who hunt down games to make images of them, and luckily there seems to be more people as time passes.
Posted at 12:34 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It doesn't really matter who puts the images into the archive first, does it? That is exactly what the hashes are for: So that you (for example) can identify that the images you have are the same ones already listed.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:34 on December 18th, 2009
Posted at 12:02 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Also, may I ask the source of the floppies images? It's just I want to state that the floppy images from UG are on my backlist, getting added to the collection when I have time. Just saying so so people don't worry about offering them.
Posted at 08:24 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Ah, I didn't know there that a review was necessary for the upload of shareware titles. I didn't catch that part in the FAQ.

It's right there on the wanted games page (prominently linked on the front page) as well as on the form to add games, of course.

Quote:
May I make a suggestion?

Of course you may. Whether such a proposal will have any effect is, of course, another question. This site has always been primarily concerned with writing about games. If that's not your cup of tea, you have to ask yourself whether you've picked the right place to contribute to. It's not like this topic (minimum requirements of game entries) isn't discussed from time to time (a few examples can be found in this forum), but so far, the decision has always been to stick with the old rules.
-----
Posted at 20:23 on December 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Ah, I didn't know there that a review was necessary for the upload of shareware titles. I didn't catch that part in the FAQ.

Well, Now that I know that. May I make a suggestion? If it were possible to provide shareware and or game diskimages without the requirement of a 300 word review I would be able to contribute a lot more of what I've collected. I've just never been too interested in writing, no matter how short it may be, and it feels as if I'm unable to participate unless I do so.

As for the disk images, I'm glad to know they're still being processed. I've got five or six more games that I didn't see on your list that I was waiting on uploading and I've also got the missing image of disk2 for Ultima7. I must have forgotten to throw it into the archive the first time I uploaded it.
Posted at 19:16 on December 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 17:18 on December 17th, 2009:
Quote:
disk images

Not my responsibility. I can only guess that T-Pow got caught up with private issues. Not too uncommon in these hectic days. My apologies! Please keep in mind that when he took this over, there was already a huge backlog of images still to be processed (several hundred, to be honest) which obviously took precedence. I already told you about the general policy concerning disk image contributions and points, it'll happen sooner or later if something you uploaded can be made public.

I'm indeed very busy at the moment. But I will process them hopefully next week.
Posted at 17:18 on December 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
disk images

Not my responsibility. I can only guess that T-Pow got caught up with private issues. Not too uncommon in these hectic days. My apologies! Please keep in mind that when he took this over, there was already a huge backlog of images still to be processed (several hundred, to be honest) which obviously took precedence. I already told you about the general policy concerning disk image contributions and points, it'll happen sooner or later if something you uploaded can be made public.

Quote:
shareware games and the appropriate screenshots and box images

The only game entry you submitted was Hugo's House of Horror. Since you're bringing this up, I guess I have to reply publicly: You submitted stolen screenshots and a stolen review. I inquired about that, you admitted that to be the case and you promised to replace the review with another one within a day (no word about replacing the screenshots). Nothing happened for a week, so I tried contacting you again. No reaction. A few days later, I deleted your submission, once again stating the reason (stolen contents) in the rejection. You were notified of this in an e-mail automatically sent out by the site (including the reason).

Apart from that, you have uploaded Commander Keen 4 and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. For both of these, you uploaded the games themselves, screenshots and boxscans. However, again, no reviews. The games don't have reviews on the site yet. A review is minimum requirement for a game to be listed on the site. So those contents can only be considered partial until someone enters the game data itself and provides a (non-stolen) review - not usable for now.

Last, but not least, you submitted about 50 or 60 game ratings which I rejected. That was (again, as you know from the rejection e-mails you received), because I found it very suspicious that those ratings covered exactly the first five or six pages of the list of all games on the site. Amongst those various games in languages which you don't even speak. I tried contacting you about it via private message here in this forum. Again, no reply at all. So I had to assume my suspicion that this was another attempt to cheat yourself towards earning some points was correct.

Hope that covers everything. Again, sorry for the delay concerning the disk images.
-----
Posted at 16:07 on December 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I've been trying to contribute by uploading disk images, shareware games and the appropriate screenshots and box images, but I've not gotten credit for anything so far and I don't even see them on the site.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Is there a step I'm missing or am I uploading these wrong or what?