The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Points for ratings - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: LbDj9
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 14:00 on December 30th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
comradesean: We received your new submission. To rule out any bias which I might or might not have, Wandrell will be taking care of it. Please watch your inbox in the board's messenger in case he contacts you.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 20:54 on December 29th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You're not banned; you've never been. Anything you submit in the future will be treated the normal way if you decide to do something after all (just don't start with masses of ratings again). If not, fine as well. The only things I deleted were those which you admitted to not compliant with the site rules as well as the rules of common decency. I didn't delete any of the files you submitted. I have no personal vendetta against you, but I want to make it clear for everyone what's not tolerated here.

In case this wasn't clear before: This thread exists, because I don't just decide about rule changes by myself. I propose them, let the public and the crew comment and the implement whatever is decided. If any of the regulars had protested, none of these things would have happened. Everyone else had a few days to adjust to the idea. Transparency.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 21:21 on December 29th, 2009
Posted at 20:40 on December 29th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Listen. I apologize for the two stupid mistakes I made with submitions. I'm not trying to argue. I'm not trying to prove a point. I'd just like it if you'd stop deleting my contributions and calling me out like I did something to personally offend you.
-----
Edited by comradesean at 20:42 on December 29th, 2009
Posted at 20:35 on December 29th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by comradesean at 19:15 on December 29th, 2009:
Anyway, I'm glad you love pinning my name up in front of your staff and two whole members. -_- Great way to get me to contribute something.

I'm not trying to get you to contribute anything. Quite on the contrary. I find it tiring and a complete waste of time arguing with you.
-----
Posted at 19:15 on December 29th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
So why would you even assume I used two accounts when I still had the points available on this account? Alongside that question, I'm also curious as to how you got the idea that I only wanted quick points from when I asked for other ways to contribute. I'd just like to point it out right now that I find a lot more enjoyment in the collecting and sharing of disk images than writing 500 word reviews. The worst part about is that you give no rewards or incentives for uploading these images though they are given out as your rewards for contributions? That just seems very odd to me.

And for the two mistakes I made in the two different contribution areas on this site (I love how only the A listing suddenly became every game), I find it amazing that I'm being lambasted for things I haven't even done when I haven't signed on in over two weeks.

Anyway, I'm glad you love pinning my name up in front of your staff and two whole members. -_- Great way to get me to contribute something.
Posted at 08:07 on December 24th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
A little patience, please, I'll try to get to it tonight. You chose some hectiv days for your submission ;)
-----
Posted at 04:01 on December 24th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I uploaded the screen shots and I made a .gif from the game...

There are some more games I can add. Image
-----
Edited by meyou at 04:39 on December 24th, 2009
Posted at 21:40 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Don't worry, you actually have 1.003 points - the sum simply rounds only up to one decimal, so it becomes 1. The 0.003 are still there, they just aren't displayed. Mathematically, they will become relevant if your decimals increase (this is not a call for you to spam the rating system... seriously ;)).

Quote:
Also I can't find that points score list and I submitted a game to be added with a review, will I get 5 or 10 points?

I glanced over your submission, looks good! The only thing missing is a couple of screenshots of the game (title screen plus four in-game images), then I can add it.

Adding a game (the game entry itself, i.e. game data, screenshots, download,...) is worth ten points. The review will give you another ten points. So, including the rating, you'll get 20.001 points once the screenshots are there.

As for boxscans, any for any games already listed on the site will be useful. Any other scans (for games not on the site), you can send in and I'll put them in the archive for later use (in case the respective games ever get entered into the database).
-----
Posted at 21:07 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
:embarassed:

My 1.1 is just a 1 now.

Also I can't find that points score list and I submitted a game to be added with a review, will I get 5 or 10 points?

Do you want some box scans of goblins 3, corridor 7 and island of Dr brain.
Posted at 16:01 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Everything committed as outlined. A rating is now worth 0.001 points, lowering the scores of many existing users. None in a relevant way, though (nobody who had been above 100 points before slipped below that mark again).

Now once we reach 50000 game entries, we have to discuss again, because then, this fraud / attack vector is possible again ;)
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 16:13 on December 23rd, 2009
Posted at 16:50 on December 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The main thing is having reviews, so I think it's correct making rate give few contributor points.
Posted at 12:32 on December 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Both the user account "comradesean" and "BrainRain" (I assume it's the same person behind the two, because they both tried the same thing for the same purpose within a period of just two weeks) tried spamming the site's rating system by simply submitting a rating for every single game on the site. As you know, there are games in various languages and for various systems on the site, so it's unlikely anybody could have played them all per se. Contacting them about it (in German, because they rated German-only games, after all) confirmed they don't speak every language. "Both" wanted to get contribution points quickly in order to download disk images (as "they" "themselves" confirmed).

Doing the basic math:
- 50 points are necessary to download disk images.
- There are 671 games on the site.
- One rating is worth 0.1 point.
- 671 * 0.1 = 67.1 > 50

Obviously, we underestimated the length people will go through to cheat themselves into getting points. That is why I'm proposing the following:

- All ratings submitted by comradesean and BrainRain get deleted ("they" "both" started slowly, just submitting a few ratings per day here and there, so assuming the best, I approved those first batches). Rationale: We have no way of telling which games this person genuinely played and which ratings were just submitted in the fraud attempts.
- The number of points earned by rating a game is decreased to zero (or a purely symbolic value, like 0.001). Rationale: Although there will always be wannabe-cheaters trying to find holes in the points system, rating games is just too easy for those people. Also, although it's nice to have more ratings, they don't really contribute to the contents of the site (hardly any added value). So I think it's acceptable from a fairness point of view.

Could the respectable members of this forum comment?
-----