The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Nice site for video reviews of older games - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ErZTt
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:22 on January 9th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, well, but that is exactly my point: His "reviews" are not nearly subjective enough. He rarely ever explicitly gives any opinion at all. Instead, he just reads from the game's manual (or something like that), explaining just how the game is played and endlessly listing all weapons, enemies etc - without ever using any of this information to put it into the service of a subjective rating.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:20 on January 9th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Yes I can understand a lot of your points.

I watched some more of his videos about games I already knew. But even if I'm not the same opinion on some the points he makes I enjoyed watching the videos anyway.

I don't share his rating of "Dark Forces". I never found it too difficult or had problem with its weaponry. But that's OK - he tells his opinion on a game and as he does the videos I don't see why he shouldn't pic the games he is interested in to show :)

Actually I like, that his reviews are a bit subjective. It's like in the time when I read gamingmagiznes. It wasn't that unusually that different magazines had different thoughts and different scores about the same game. A game that got a award in the ASM could as well "only" get an average rating in PowerPlay or so.

Not like today where nearly every magazine rates games the same - at least in most times :). OK there are of course less rubbish games on the market as back than, but I liked the much more subjective tests back in the early days of those magazines.
-----
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Posted at 18:03 on January 8th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hmm... having watched a few episodes now (no, I didn't know about it), I'm wondering why the guy is calling this "reviews".

What I like about it is that
a) The videos don't only consist of swearing and shouting.
b) The guy is prepared, selects carefully what to show and does not do his commentary "live".

However, what does he talk about? There is a lot of pure exposition: What is the game about (plot) and what does it consist of. The latter can sometimes get pretty tiresome. For Magic Carpet, he seriously showed & described every single spell. But for what? Only for the sake of describing them, nothing else. There is never any evaluation of different aspects. It's the same style of reviewing which drove me away from reading professional magazines in the 90s: The implicit belief that listing lots and lots of facts will miraculously lead to an "objective" verdict.

Then, there are some hints, which might be interesting, but I also wouldn't count as appropriate for a review. Same for "Dosbox settings".

Quote:
I think he overdraws the difficulty of the game a bit

Same in many other episodes. Raptor too hard? That's one of the easiest shooters ever made! And Raptor being considered "one of the best shooters ever"? I've never seen that game on any "best of" list.

It's also unfortunate (though completely subjective) that the selection of games is fairly uninteresting in my opinion. Typical US selection of fairly crappy and well-covered/overrated games (Abuse is "forgotten"? It's everywhere!).

All this is a bit of a pity, considering he's making this in a much more professional way and style than most of the teenagers trying themselves at something like this.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:07 on January 8th, 2012
Posted at 11:40 on January 8th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Hi,

OK the site isn't new and you probably already knew it, but I discovered it just 2 day's ago and I think it's worth sharing :o

The website can be found here:
http://www.pixelships.com/

I haven't watched a lot of his videos right know but I can recommend the X-Wing one - even as I think he overdraws the difficulty of the game a bit. OK, when I think back, me playing the game on my 386DX40 it wasn't easy and it took me a while to get through and destroy the deathstar but it was a lot of fun :)
-----
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.