The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Mozilla Firebird 0.6 released - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: Va8dg
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:30 on May 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I'm still running Phoenix 0.5 on my comp at home which is a P200 with I think 64 Meg Ram so unless the firebird has become a lot heavier then the phoenix, it shouldn't pose a problem... and if I recall correctly, the Mole already has installed firebird on his comp at uni and it is comparable to mine at home so I don't think you're comp will have a problem ND...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 06:47 on May 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've got a P2-600, 64MB RAM here, and Mozilla was a disaster. That's why I was asking; I may try it out now.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 11:14 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Don't know, but look at the system requirements of Mozilla - Firebird is bound to require less. It runs perfectly smooth on my P2/300, 96 MB RAM.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 10:36 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
A quick question: what are the hardware requirements? I could not find that on the site.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 09:03 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 15:47 on May, 20th 2003:

And what's so bad about the preferences menu? I think it's structured quite well...
Too many submenus (see the 'privacy' part - the points all have exactly one subpoint which is quite useless), the left menu is ugly.
-----
Posted at 07:47 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Looks as if it has really become somewhat faster. As for its ugliness, there are many better themes you can switch to.

And what's so bad about the preferences menu? I think it's structured quite well...
Posted at 05:18 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
This is the browser formerly known as Phoenix. I was at first reluctant to install it, because it says in huge letters you have to remove your previous installation completely, i.e. create a new profile, drop bookmarks and so on. It isn't all that bad though: the bookmarks can be saved via Export/Import and the rest of the profile isn't really all that important.

Now about the browser. Compared to Phoenix 0.5, it is a lot faster! As you know, there are two kinds of speed: the time it takes to display a site and the time it takes to react to commands from the user. Mozilla was always great in the first field, but the latter lacked a lot - especially compared to Opera. With Firebird 0.6, it comes very close to its competitor! This is best seen on slower computers using the back and forward buttons: it doesn't take a second to display those pages from the cache anymore while the old version always blocked the whole browser for approximately three seconds on my computer.
There are some downsides of course. Most visibly: it is quite ugly. The buttons look like crap, the preferences window almost made me vomit. Changing the browser's theme helps a lot there, it doesn't completely 'clean up' the preferences window though.

Anyway, on the whole, this is a whole lot better than Phoenix, I can only recommend it! Download now!
-----