The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Another trademark changes hands - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: Vo@DH
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 10:55 on May 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, considering that Fargo's company already applied for those rights, I would assume that the USPTO has some procedures in place that would assure the simultaneous transfer from one owner to the next, without a risk of a third party stepping in and snatching the trademark.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 09:15 on May 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In that case, the original owner can't actually control to whom this trademark goes, can he? As soon as his rights have been dropped, anyone could apply...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:44 on May 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't know how exactly the process works, but I have the impression that when you transfer ownership, you've got to cancel your ownership with the US trademark office, and the other side has to apply for ownership. Some companies may want to publicize such deal (the way Infogrames did that), and some may want to keep quiet, for whatever reason they have. In both cases, I believe that you need to do the same steps, though.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 02:30 on May 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
This game (Bards Tale) is one of me top 3 of all time
RPGs are kind of underrepresented on TGOD you know.... I'm so subtle!
-----
Posted at 17:11 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This game (Bards Tale) is one of me top 3 of all time, and i remember it as a 10 year old on my spectrum fighting my way through the Wine Cellars and Catacombs and knowing how to get past the 'stone golem' who is 'two-fold'...whatever that means.

Forgive me for being a bit abrupt here but...The fact that some corporate wankers are playing around saying they want to 'cancel ownership' of the game fills me with such a violent streak that I could commit serious crimes against humanity. I am going to end this post now before my blood pressure rises to the point I have an instant heart attack.
Posted at 11:15 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
A 'request to cancel ownership'? What's that? It's not a regular transfer of the rights, is it?
-----
Posted at 10:40 on May 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
According to Slashdot (I later confirmed the finding in the USPTO), Electronic Arts has filed a request to cancel its ownership of The Bard's Tale. At the same time, INXILE Entertainment, a new company founded by Brian fargo after he got fired by Interplay, has applied for the ownership. Seems like manipulating the rights to old games has suddenly become fashionable...
-----
NetDanzr<br />