The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Zone 66 Reboots PC when I try to run it - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: IbxB6
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 23:02 on October 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I reinstalled a copy of Zone66 from a different source and kaboom, no more rebooting, the game runs fine now.

The copy that keep on giving me reboots when I tried running it was from the Game Empire Shareware Disc I've gotten from a Dollar General back in 2002.
Posted at 09:17 on September 21st, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm talking from experience with the AWE32 here, but assuming the AWE64 is similar, it also may use this very heavyweight General MIDI emulation software driver. That made my system quite unstable as well (and for regular Soundblaster mode, it wasn't necessary at all).
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:56 on September 21st, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Quote:
Sound Blaster AWE64
MS-DOS 6.22

Bad combination, especially when using a boot disk. The AWE64 is a Plug&Play card, but MS-DOS doesn't know about PnP. You should make sure that the "Creative Configuration Manager Software" is loaded, otherwise you may address the wrong IRQ and/or DMA channel (since the BLASTER variable doesn't match the hardware config), which causes the system to freeze or reboot.
Posted at 08:26 on September 21st, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Hmmm… faulty version of the game? Hardware conflict (your setup [very nice on btw. ;)] seems rather advanced for that kind of game)? Does the disk work on other systems? Or at least in DosBox?
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 17:26 on September 19th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I've made a boot disk for MS-DOS and when I try to run Zone 66, my Machine reboots

Specs
Am5x86 133MHz
S3Trio64V2 Card
16MB RAM
1GB HD
Sound Blaster AWE64
MS-DOS 6.22