The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - How do I play these? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 3u4q!
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:25 on June 26th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
I forgot to mention, that lots of Amiga games are shared with Atari ST, but.. on Amiga they tend to be somewhat better as in graphical sense so as in sound. Also, many Amiga games even from american titles aren't present on PC, which is an important note. I came across few games like that, they looked terribly PC-ish, but i couldn't find any PC versions of them.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 06:22 on June 26th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Standard Amiga (OCS) palette is 32 colours at once... If the game uses it. Many games are ports from the Atari ST which has only 16 colours. CGA IS 4 Colours, EGA 16 and VGA 256. This is what we have screenshots for ;) Of course what you won't see is differences in the interface (mouse support was much more common on the Amiga) or features (can go either way). A famous example being the PC port of Lemmings not having two-player mode whereas the situation is reversed ib Aaargh, for example.

But to go back to graphics, I'd say as a rule of thumb, European games pre-1993 will usually look a little better on the Amiga than their PC equivalents. American games (apart from Cinemaware) won't.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 07:12 on June 26th, 2015
Posted at 03:37 on June 26th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
It is not a single case in the computer world, lots of games were shared among different platforms and were practically identical in both visual and audial respect. For instance, there were many games which looked exactly the same on Spectrum, Amstrad, Commodore 64 and MSX computer, so don't be surprised. Sometimes there were minor differences in palette and/or sound, but most looked 100% the same. As for Amiga - yes, it's like a PC brother in a sense, and it's actually a bit more advanced. I think when PC still had a CGA adapter, Amiga would provide at least an EGA-rich palette in every game. There were no CGA-like games on Amiga, so it was in fact BETTER than IBM PC as regards gaming and multimedia, but somehow it wasn't accessible to most people. I personally don't know anybody who ever owned it, yet there are people in here who are closely familiar with it.
-----
Posted at 23:11 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
;) It works fine. I was wondering..Does ALL Amiga games play like Dos games just diffrent format? the game is identical to the Dos except for it being Amiga..I thought Amiga games was slightly diffrent with better graphics and comparable to SNES cartriges in quality. I guess except for format they're identical to old Dos games.
-----
Edited by Paul Spain at 23:13 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 17:30 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Payback on a real Amiga is really painful. On my 68030/50, it's somewhat playable, but still jerky. I read somewhere it should be better on an 68060, but who has that? Under emulation, it is much, much better! I also played it on the GP2X, though, and there it worked well.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:32 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 17:24 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
A played many post2000 Amiga Freeware Games from Aminet. Never tried payback on real Amiga nor Emulation only on Gameboy.
-----
????????
-----
Edited by MasterLee at 17:25 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 17:21 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Also, installing OS 3.9 if you only want to play classic games is a really bad idea anyway. Kickstart 1.3 is perfect for all pre-1993 games and Kickstart/OS 3.1 should serve all AGA needs.

P.S. Each game entry has a "Technical Help" link, by the way. Admittedly, this will not tell you everything, but at the very least, you will get pointers which emulators you could try. So in case you run across games from even different systems, try it!
-----
Posted at 17:13 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 15:41 on June 25th, 2015:
Was that some kinda joke? :)

No joke the only ways to get Kickstart roms legaly is to buy Amiga Forever or read out your Roms you own.
When you only want the roms maybe the following Android App is the best solution:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloanto.amigaforever.essentials
But that will only give you the Kickstart Roms and not the OS.
For that Amiga Forever Plus seems the best option as alone Amiga OS 3.9 would cost you 39.90€ which is more than Amiga Forever Plus which cost 29.95€.
And beside installing Amiga OS 3.9 under FS-UAE is not that easy.
Anyway i got it running somehow.
-----
????????
-----
Edited by MasterLee at 17:23 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 16:12 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
...or just use the transrom tool to read out the Kickstart of your real Amiga!
-----
Posted at 15:41 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Was that some kinda joke? :)
-----
Posted at 15:09 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Or just buy Amiga Forever Plus to get most versions of Kickstart, Amiga OS and some additional software legal.
http://www.amigaforever.com/plus/
-----
????????
Posted at 13:41 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
In the floppy drive section choose a file you want to load and you're good to go.

-----
Posted at 13:02 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Yeah..I have the ROMS imported..How do I get a game to load now?

This is what it does now:

-----
Edited by Paul Spain at 13:06 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 12:54 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Just open a file via emulator, no need to drag anything anywhere. Have you specified the ROMs folder in the path settings?

-----
Posted at 12:25 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Ok..I got those put in now..but the game still don't load up when I drag it to the Win UAE..I still get the same waiting on media screen.
Posted at 12:01 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
No, locate ROMs subfolder in Emulator's folder and place it in there.
-----
Posted at 11:36 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
How do I use them? I just copy a Kickstart to a game's folder?
-----
Edited by Paul Spain at 11:39 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 10:55 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
You can get the kickstart roms here:

http://www.filedropper.com/amigakickstartroms-complete-tosecv004

And i believe the second emulator is expecting the same treatment.
-----
Posted at 10:25 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I can't get the game to load..I get this screen on Win UAE:

The other program FS UAE is complicated and wants Kick Starts and other stuff so I gave up on that one, Win UAE seems best to use if I can get a game to boot that is.
-----
Edited by Paul Spain at 10:27 on June 25th, 2015
Posted at 10:04 on June 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Thanks..As for me knowing that..Well I didn't..I never had a Amiga (I guess they was rare by my kid days, Me being born in 1982 and all) BUT I did have several old Dos PCs..Most notably was the Tandy T1000 from Radio Shack which done something I've seen no others do..It would greet and carry on a conversation with you day to day in it's own Robotic voice :P.

Anyhow I'll try those tools to run them..Thanks again.