The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Apple II emulation - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: nN19y
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 01:46 on November 9th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Oh yeah, i actually saw that, but somehow just ignored it. Lately if i see something incomplete or unfamiliar i simply don't register it.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 01:46 on November 9th, 2015
Posted at 00:04 on November 9th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I did mention c64, though I apparently typo'ed and only said "c6".

Quote:
...other comps like c6, amiga,...
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 13:31 on November 8th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
True, but we have to cut computer emulators some slack. If the target system is complex, the emulator interface will be complex comared to a console system with only about three defined peripherals and one function.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:15 on November 8th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
I hear you. By the way, you forgot to mention C64 (WinVICE, CCS64), those are also not great, really. The best Spectrum emulators are DOS versions, the Windows ones are either obsolete or have little probs here and there, so there are no perfect apps really such as either AppleWin or blueMSX. The game console emulators are also very comfy and all-inclusive: NES/SNES, Sega Genesis, etc.
-----
Posted at 06:46 on November 8th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, I know, but for anyone looking for an all-in-one solution to emulate the apple II family, it could be considered a drawback.

That aside, I've found applewin to be the simplest & most effective computer emulator for any computer, I wish other computers had such emulators. Emulators for other comps like c6, amiga, atari, etc all tend to be either stupidly complex, or only work with 25~30% of software. The next best emu I've seen for any comp is bluemsx MSX emulator.
-----
Posted at 05:24 on November 8th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
The only real drawback that I can see to it is that it doesn't support GS

It's not really a drawback, since Apple II and Apple II GS are really very different creatures, so the emulator does only the job it's intended for, as a matter a fact. Now it's true it wouldn't hurt implementing a dual mode, but that would be an extra feature similar to that of multi-platform emulation.
-----
Posted at 04:11 on November 8th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've used applewin and it's quite good. The only real drawback that I can see to it is that it doesn't support GS, only older apple IIs. Nonetheless, it seems to work well for all other apple II software, has an easy to use interface, and can be used in accurate speed mode or full speed mode (if you prefer having everything process as quickly as your pc can, instead of more accurate timing).
-----
Posted at 11:36 on September 27th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
No, cause i'm not expecting anything new to be honest. It looks pretty much the same as original KEGS. I've tried KEGS32 though, but it's a little tiresome. First, you need to get the roms. Fine, no prob. Then you have to install OS, which was a little surprising, since i'm little familiar with the entire Apple family. So basically i haven't got around to running any games yet. But what i've gathered so far is that it seems to work like virtual machine rather than emulator, so that kinda disappoints me. I wish it was all at once integrated and saved me the bullshit. Though, some of the disk images apparently have a boot record similar to those of PC-Booter games, which allows them to be run independently of internal OS. Anyway, Apple II emulation i find more to my liking.
-----
Posted at 07:52 on September 27th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Have you tried it?
-----
Posted at 02:04 on September 27th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Heh, another one: http://gsport.sourceforge.net
-----
Posted at 14:13 on September 26th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
That would explain why the KEGS site looked different from how I remembered... KEGS32 was the one I actually used.
Posted at 04:43 on September 26th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
It seems that there are actually 2 windows ports of KEGS, one of which was forked by another author and is called KEGS32. It does seem to have a more or less good interface, although still inconvenient. Originally KEGS is a linux emulator, i'm not sure why there's a Win32 executable on the official site, cause it lacks proper interface anyway. And here is KEGS32:

By the way, i've just stumbled on what looks like another Apple IIGS emulator called XGS, and it seems to have just what i like, but unfortunately it's old and probably glitchy on latest OS versions. I'm not even gonna test it, you let me know if it works ;)

-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 05:18 on September 26th, 2015
Posted at 16:48 on September 25th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I found KEGS to work better for me than MESS, but the only thing I was trying to run was The Bard's Tale so it's not exactly a comprehensive opinion. The difficulty I had with MESS was getting system (not game) ROMs that worked right, as I recall.
Posted at 13:05 on September 13th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 05:54 on September 11th, 2015:
Isn't that a little strange considering how immensely popular that platform was in the USA?

There are only a few productions for it at =Apple+II&platform[]=Apple+II+GS&page=1]pouet.net. 3 Pages compared to Amiga 619 Pages and 5 Pages SNES.
Also on Wikipedia there are only 49 exclusive games listed compared to 428 SNES exclusive games.

By the way the guy who wrote the DOS¹ for the Apple II also wrote RFO BASIC! for Android²³. Interesting move.
1, 2, 3
-----
????????
-----
Edited by MasterLee at 13:06 on September 13th, 2015
Posted at 07:51 on September 11th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Absolutely. Also, Apple II GS is a vastly improved version of Apple II, yet noone seems to care much about it.
-----
Posted at 05:54 on September 11th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Isn't that a little strange considering how immensely popular that platform was in the USA?
-----
Posted at 21:22 on September 10th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Most of Apple II emulators are way too out of date and no longer functional, let alone most of them are from DOS era. I mean, i've tried a few, and only AppleWin did the job more or less. Speaking of Apple II GS - there is hardly a single emulator that can properly emulate this platform btw. Lots of roms, but no proper app, except for MESS i think. Kegs wouldn't work for me, can't remember what exactly the issue was.
-----
Posted at 20:53 on September 10th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I tried KEGS IIgs some years ago https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.froop.app.kegs. Google says i rated it 4 from 5 stars don't know why. There are also non Androdi versions at SF.NET.
-----
????????
Posted at 12:35 on September 9th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
AppleWin. Can't say it's great, but the best ever made among existing.
-----
Posted at 06:02 on September 9th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Anyone knowledgable there? I've just been using MESS, but that's hardly a recommendation well suited for the general public, I think. What are good, easy-to-handle emulators?
-----