The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - F29 Retaliator (1990) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: NQAHj
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 02:14 on May 19th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Too bad Herr M. isn't around anymore, thought it would be good to let him know, that i've been playing Apache Air Assault (2010) since winter and only now have realized that it's actually made by a russian company (Gaijin Entertainment), and, yes, in this game you can fly Apache AH-64D Longbow attack helicopter or russian Mi-35. The game is nice, though without a multiplayer there isn't much to do. Once you have completed all missions you can just remove the game, unless you wanna practice free flight some more.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 21:08 on January 12th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Just out of curiosity: Are there any Russian (or Soviet) flight sims that let you fly American aircrafts?

Good question. No, not really. Then again, there weren't that many flight sims and computer games in general made by USSR/Russia at that period of time, and those really simple ones i can still recall used no particular IDs for aircrafts or nations. So they were neither soviet nor american ones really. Also, i'm not saying every game made in the West is necessarily antisoviet/antirussian, not at all. Some were pretty neutral. Like Codemasters' F-16 Fighting Falcon or MiG-29 (Afterburn-like shooters), which were practically one and the same game, only featuring different vehicles, which is a fair deal and i like it. Not only so, it is really hard to tell what the enemy jets are and the regions featured in those do not give you any ideas as to who you are up against exactly. Sahara, Savannah, Arctic etc. Now there goes a good example of how a good military game should be. No names, no credentials, no propaganda.

Quote:
(I would almost suggest reading our article about this topic on our site, if you haven't so far) and will almost always include some kind of propaganda (that is if it is set in the real world).

Thanks, will do.
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 21:13 on January 12th, 2016
Posted at 19:54 on January 12th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 06:26 on January 11th, 2016:
Once again, in the best Cold War traditions (and particularly its western participants) the only side you can pick here is NATO and the only enemy you have are the Soviets and presumably WAPA satellites flying MiG-29 and Su-27 aircrafts.

As much as I have to agree with you, I guess tensions where still far too high, even back in 91, and selling a (serious) game in which you play the Soviets was simply unthinkable in the US, as interesting as it might have been.

Just out of curiosity: Are there any Russian (or Soviet) flight sims that let you fly American aircrafts?

Keep in mind that war is a very touchy subject, especially if set in rather contemporary scenarios (I would almost suggest reading our article about this topic on our site, if you haven't so far) and will almost always include some kind of propaganda (that is if it is set in the real world).
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 15:49 on January 11th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
I knew this would again be the subject of our discussion ;) Perhaps it's 1991, as the filestamps suggest. However, neither mobygames nor wiki tell so (the latter says 1989 anyway, while Amiga and ST are 1990). I dunno, you may change it of course, not that i really care, i just tend to trust mobygames more :)
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 17:16 on January 11th, 2016
Posted at 08:52 on January 11th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
It first came out in 1989 as Amiga and Atari ST port, and one year later there was released a PC version, whose only principal difference was implementation of head-to-head mode to play via modem against real human opponent, which for 1990 game is a rare plus.

Once again, I'm questioning the release dates. ACE reviewed the Amiga version in its June issue of 1990. The PC version 'soon' coming out was announced in February 1991. Do you have contradicting information? (Copyright year is not always release year, in case that's the problem.)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:26 on January 11th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Feel free to share anything about F29 Retaliator (1990) here!
-----