The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Power Blackout - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: zqYLn
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 22:11 on August 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I just figured out today that parts of my video board are fried as well. I'm really thinking about picking up a UPS too.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 07:55 on August 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Actually, I use scissors when it gets too long ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 23:56 on August 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
And judging by your beard, you shave with an electric shaver :)
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 09:04 on August 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm back on-line, too. The good news is that all the computers in the office have a UPS, so the power surge didn't hurt us. In fact, we had enough time to save everything and shut down the computers. The problem was that it took our ISP (Worldcom) two days to get back on-line.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 17:49 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, you think they could say maybe, 2 quality checks, just to make it not sound like outright lies.
-----
Posted at 16:31 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I also like the lie on the right of that banner.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:20 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Retired Gumby
Quote:
So how is Canadian television then? The flag in the foreground (being the only program broadcasted) all day?

Well, I'm talking about other aspects, such as all commercial logos somehow has the Canadian flag intigrated into it.
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 16:12 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So how is Canadian television then? The flag in the foreground (being the only program broadcasted) all day?
-----
Posted at 16:06 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, it seemed to have zapped the RAM. Good thing the computer does it's own diagnostics when it starts up. They had a sale so I decided to double the ram I have ;) but everything is working fine now.

At least Detroit didn't become a fireball like it does every Halloween :P

Quote:
Don't all stations of the USA display an animated flag 24 hours a day? Or maybe a half-transparant animated flag as background of everything shown?

Yeah, but it's not as bad as Canada.
-----
Posted at 14:53 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Quote:
Don't all stations of the USA display an animated flag 24 hours a day? Or maybe a half-transparant animated flag as background of everything shown?

I thought about it while posting the last message then decided it was too horrible to be true so I assumed they didn't.
Posted at 13:21 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
My thoughts exactly...

Sorry 'bout the damage though.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 13:15 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
-----
Posted at 12:54 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
We frequently encounter blackouts and get used to it here, so we just can't understand why people are get terrorized because of that temporary annoyance.

Fox news displayed an animated US flag during the incident. The Turkish news channel I watched didn't broadcast the original sound but I can imagine the reporter saying something like "Americans are so brave that they aren't even afraid of dark" I don't like the way nationalism is being marketed thete. It's just a boring blackout and crime didn't appear to be a major issue this time. Even if it was, nationalism would be the last thing that could solve the issue.
Posted at 08:53 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, just your normal everyday blackout where people ASSULT your neighborhood because one freakin gas station is open.

Not really a power grid problem, but a political problem. In 2000, the power market was deregulated so companies started selling and buying power from places far away, therefore an easy pass for the power to go long distances. Something like this was bound to happen.
-----
Posted at 08:42 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
have you read/watched/listened to any news during the last days?
Er... no. Must have missed this whole issue.
-----
Posted at 08:39 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Mr Creosote, have you read/watched/listened to any news during the last days? One of the largest power blackouts in the US an Canada for several hours, including New York. They said about 50 million people had no electricity. I guess it's time to improve the power supply system there regarding that the whole present system went down because there was an error in one power station...
Posted at 08:13 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Power blackout? What power blackout? :confused:
-----
Posted at 08:10 on August 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The good news is that I'm back with power and water now, the bad news is I was using the computer when it hit, and the same surge that took down all the power plants came through 3 surge protectors and seems to have done my computer wrong in some way. The PC speaker beeps three times when it comes on, then the HD idles. So until I figure this out, consider that I'm off the internet indefinitly except for quick little dittys on other computers.
-----