The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - What constitutes a "series"? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: TSfnI
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:22 on December 31st, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sounds right, agreed.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:18 on December 31st, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
For me Bundesliga Manager is an Series too.
-----
????????
Posted at 14:21 on December 24th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Rough first draft to straighten the data model out: /game/id%2C1094/King%27s+Quest+5%3A+Absence+Makes+the+Heart+go+Yonder%21.html.

Concerning styling, would it be preferable to have these in the same graphical manner as the similar games? I think so.
-----
Posted at 07:30 on December 23rd, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That grouping is really weird. If Allied and People's are in there, why not Fantasy or Pacific?
-----
Posted at 23:36 on December 22nd, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The panzer ones are all 1 series, the allied, pacific, etc ones are basically the first one but from the perspective of different forces, while panzer II is an actual sequel. More info on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_General
You can also look at what games gaming sites throw together as a series, such as: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/panzer-general-series
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 10:16 on November 15th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
I would assume we can only cover sequel relations as in the original country of origin?

Sounds about right. If the title in question is secondary/alternative to original then it shouldn't count unless there are obvious links to what otherwise could be a prequel.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 10:17 on November 15th, 2016
Posted at 09:14 on November 15th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Your notion of "series" being too inclusive sounds very convincing. Maybe starting with sequels will indeed be the way to go.

Next borderline issue, then:

Allied General was called Panzer General II in some countries by its own publisher. Later, there was a "real" part 2 came out. I would assume we can only cover sequel relations as in the original country of origin?
-----
Posted at 07:30 on November 15th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
King's Quest 1 - 8: this, most definitely, is one series, isn't it?

Correct.

Quote:
Siege - Ambush at Sorinor - Walls of Rome: very similar games from the same publisher; is this a series?

No, they are just similar games.

Quote:
Panzer General - Allied General - Fantasy General - Star General - Pacific General: is this a series? If all those games belong to the same series, how do you explain Panzer General II much later?

Evidently, Panzer General 1-2 should be linked as series regardless of the time gap, the rest goes into "similar" category.

Quote:
Hi-Res Adventures: is this a series? Content-wise, they have nothing in common, they just share one engine and they were numbered by the publisher.

In my opinion company, engine, hallmark titles and graphics shouldn't suffice to count the games as series. I'd say, the problem here is definitely in the way you term it - SERIES, which is way too abstract and all-inclusive. I suggest we use Sequels/Prequels instead. What defines sequels/prequels is above all shared storyline, settings and/or characters. The rest is just a hallmarked streak so to say, and should be simply regarded as "similar".

Quote:
So is this one series, two series' or no series? Maybe even Die Höhlenwelt belongs to one of the series', having been made by one of those two teams (but in a third style)?

Again, if they aren't connected story- and character-wise then they are just "similar" games. Simple.

Alternatively, i would suggest another 2 ways of dealing with this issue:

1) Just categorize non-series games as "similar" as i have already suggested and prioritize the entire streak to stay on top of the list. Perhaps, also use a color highlight to single them out.

2) Implement another category alongside "Sequels/Prequels" and name it something like "Family games". Of course, what counts as part of the family or not is up to us to decide. If unsure we could always dump it into just "Similar" category.

Now, what worries me is that despite this thrifty allocation either one of "Family" and "Similar" categories may get a little bulky, and while we could still pick out the best matches for "Similar" category and filter out other less matching titles, there is nothing we can do about "Family", and the worst are cases like Sierra or Lucas Arts games.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 13:28 on November 13th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Another thing which came up internally was to link "game series" together. While this is universally considered a good idea, it's not actually as obvious what constitutes a series as it may look at first glance. A couple of examples (in case you don't know some of the games, many are on the site):

Discuss!
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 14:57 on November 13th, 2016