The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Articles - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: xeGKA
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 10:35 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I totally agree with fretz...
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 10:27 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Now it's getting complicated :worried:
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 10:20 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 17:44 on September, 4th 2003:

.... an article is often left out when talking about a title. I mean, you would rather say "I play Hound of Shadow" than "I play The Hound of Shadow", wouldn't you?

I think the general rule is if the object begins with a vowel, then the correct wording is to include the article, if it begins with a consenant then the article will be ommited.
Posted at 09:50 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In general, I'm with fretz: If it's the name, it is the name, period. NetDanzr brought up the main argument against it, though: alphanumeric sorting. The 't' category gets overcrowded, it's harder to spot a certain title in a huge list of names all starting with "the".

Tapuak: That is of course true, but I don't think it's that relevant for this question. What I'm saying is one thing, it might be some short form or even an abbreviation (doing that quite often in reviews), but the actual name is more like a question of 'correctness' I think.
-----
Posted at 09:44 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Hmmm... difficult question, but I think it's more intuitive to go to "H" when looking for "The Hound of Shadow" because actually, an article is often left out when talking about a title. I mean, you would rather say "I play Hound of Shadow" than "I play The Hound of Shadow", wouldn't you?
Posted at 08:39 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'd leave it with "The...". I like to sort such games under the first letter of the second world (for example, "The Incredible Machine" would go under "I"), buth this may be a little hard to do under an automatic, php-based model.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 05:53 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This is a pet anoyance of mine. Either the game is called 'The...' or it isnt. There is no inbetween.

If its called 'The...' then thats its name and thats how it should be listed.

How would you store your mp3's? If I have an mp3 by 'The Cure' then it gets filed as 'The Cure', because thats what the band is called, they arent called 'Cure'.

If on the other hand you have an mp3 by the Electric Light Orchestra, then allthough the correct wording in English is to say ' a song by the Electric Light Orchestra', the band isnt called 'The Electric Light Orchestra'.

Grrrr, the the thing winds me up.
Posted at 03:58 on September 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The amount of games on TGOD starting with "the" or another article has grown to be an annoyance to me. What do you prefer to go with: "The Hound of Shadow" or "Hound of Shadow, The"?
-----