The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Budokan: The Martial Spirit (1990) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: MNu6N
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 23:54 on March 12th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 18:26 on March 11th, 2017:
Why bother with so many moves if you can get away with just two, especially when the rest is just utterly useless and self-damaging...

Typical weakness of the genre, I would say. Having played a good number of these games recently, you probably wouldn't believe how far I got in many of them just doing a crouching kick (for lack of a better term). Or you probably would. If it's at least a combination of moves you need, that's acceptable in my book (albeit far from perfect).

(Though I can hardly believe you actually "perfectly" beat the game using only two moves.)

Quote:
also, while the postures are ok some of the actual moves, the kicks specifically, look ridiculous.

Oh, even compared to fireball throwing Japanese adolescents? ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 00:13 on March 13th, 2017
Posted at 18:26 on March 11th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Granted, i actually discovered and played it in the 2000s already, but then i could still enjoy some other fighting games which were even older. Budokan i didn't enjoy for a second and played it only to see the end of it using a combo of 90% flawless hits, which actually is another downside to the gameplay. Why bother with so many moves if you can get away with just two, especially when the rest is just utterly useless and self-damaging... also, while the postures are ok some of the actual moves, the kicks specifically, look ridiculous. Speaking of PC version, i was also quite annoyed with the digitized speaker output.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 18:32 on March 11th, 2017
Posted at 17:37 on March 11th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Animations, for a game originally developed on an IBM PC, I found actually quite decent for the time. Clearly, this is not a spectacular or flashy game, as mentioned in the review. I appreciate its down-to-earth angle, actually. Although clearly, when the mood strikes me to pick a fighting game for pure enjoyment (i.e. outside of reviewing duties), Budokan is not the first pick.
-----
Posted at 17:26 on March 11th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Well, first off, choppy animation for some moves, which is mostly unexpected as still pictures suggest a different idea. Secondly, very unresponsive and inconveniently defined controls. I hated those delays between pushing and execution of moves and my fingers would get tired. And lastly, there could be just a few more special effects, like enemies jerking back on hit etc.
-----
Posted at 10:36 on March 11th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So what bothered you about it?
-----
Posted at 02:28 on March 10th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
It looked very attractive alright, but the gameplay was very weak in my opinion.
-----
Posted at 22:20 on March 9th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Budokan: The Martial Spirit (1990) here!
-----