The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - All computer games illegal? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: @NoYV
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 15:31 on October 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Er... yeah, right ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:26 on October 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Pada1 at 12:47 on September, 11th 2002:

I can understand why this guy was arrested. By not turning off his mobile, he was endagering the entire flight. I know jack of aeroflight so I wouldn't know how big the increase in risk is (probably virtually none if it is a single case) when someone doesn't comply but I suppose these regulations however lame, are there for a reason. And how hard is it if they ask you repeatidly to turn of your mobile to actually do it?

Glad to hear this about that law in Greece. As you might have derived from my first post in this thread, it kinda ticked me off to see a government getting away with something so dictatorial in a so-called democratic system...
-----
-=}ElvesBrew{=-
Posted at 08:16 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As I pointed out before, that doesn't have to concern me, either, because I'm not doing anything which is 'forbidden' there (and can realistically be enforced).

Edited by Mr Creosote at 10:16 on September, 25th 2002
-----
Posted at 08:13 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by NetDanzr at 09:50 on September, 25th 2002:

The bad news is that the EU is working hard to harmonize its copyright laws with the US...

;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 08:07 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, since I'm not planning to go to the USA (where I'd be arrested for studying at the wrong university anyway), the last point doesn't bother me much ;) I'm not doing anything related to the second point. And if the first point is to be taken seriously, they have to sue CNet, Adrenaline Vault and basically everyone who has ever mentioned Abandonware.
-----
Posted at 08:02 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
DMCA stands for Digital Millenium Copyright Act. This law outlaws the following:

* Linking to illegal content. Most memorable case was 2600.org -vs- MPAA
* Reverse-engineering. Lots of people got into troubles simply by pointing out bugs; some academic papers ended up censored.
* Providing circumvention and cracking tools. Most memorable case: Dimitri Sklarov, a Russian programmer, who provided a tool to circumvent the lock on .pdf documents. He did it in Russia, all was hosted in Russia. When he came to the US for a conference, he got arrested on the airport.

Ever since the DMCA, court decisions in the US were very consistent...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 07:51 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I have no idea what the 'DMCA' is, but court decisions in every country (including the USA) have not been consistent about this. Besides, I'm not hosting TUOL anyway. I have organised the hosting deal and pay for it, but it is not running under my name.
-----
Posted at 07:50 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Actually, the DMCA states it is illegal to link to sites that provide illegal content. As it stands now, you'd get into troubles for hosting TUOL if you came to the US (even foreign nationals do, which is causing an uproar elsewhere in the world). The bad news is that the EU is working hard to harmonize its copyright laws with the US...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 07:40 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Delos at 09:38 on September, 25th 2002:

Pada1: By law he's right, he's paying for a hard drive to be put in a server, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe some bandwidth too.

Not to sure about the site though... he is a webmaster of an Abandonware site...
Are you all blind or something??? I'M NOT RUNNING AN ABANDONWARE SITE!!!!!

Edited by Mr Creosote at 09:40 on September, 25th 2002
-----
Posted at 07:38 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Pada1: By law he's right, he's paying for a hard drive to be put in a server, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe some bandwidth too.

Not to sure about the site though... he is a webmaster of an Abandonware site...
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
Posted at 07:30 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I'm still laughing :D
-----
Posted at 04:40 on September 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
http://www.warbucket.com/comic.php?id=74
-----
Posted at 04:54 on September 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
No offense intended
But done. The answer is simple: I'm neither running an Abandonware site nor am I hosting one. So, my old line, check the facts!
-----
Posted at 19:02 on September 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Delos: Check the facts before you go childish. I'm not doing anything illegal on my sites, I'm not hosting any illegal sites.

I know I'm a relative newbie to this scene but AFAIK any AB-site is illegal... copyright-law still states that unless otherwise specified, copyrights are valid for 75 years so if you distribute a game freely (as the good old days do), you are violating a law and are hence active in illegal activities no matter how you turn it... It's not because the authors/publishers of some games allow it to happen that is's legal... I could drink beer from the age of 10 here in belgium but that wasn't legal either so Creo, before you go around bullying people about getting the facts, think twice yourself, ok?

No offense intended :evil:
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 18:56 on September 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Mmmmm... yes, technically.
-----
Posted at 04:31 on September 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Delos: Check the facts before you go childish. I'm not doing anything illegal on my sites, I'm not hosting any illegal sites.
-----
Posted at 01:23 on September 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Legal?! *cough* Abandonware Server *cough* Abandonware Site *cough* Abandonware Ring *cough*

Anyone got some throat medicine? ;)
-----
Posted at 02:32 on September 12th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Bah! I would like to see this Greek law applied everywhere - because now that I'm living so boringly legal on the Internet, I have to compensate that somehow :o
-----
Posted at 02:02 on September 12th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
People who use phones during movies grrr :angry:
The least you can do is put it on silent and then ring back the missed calls after the movie.
Sometimes you feel like more than just clubbing people who talk on phones during movies.
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 10:50 on September 11th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm actually thinking about taking my hiking stick with me into movie theaters and clubbing people who use cell phones during movies...
-----
NetDanzr<br />