The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - US Copyright Office rules on abandonware - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: s@XV1
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 17:29 on November 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I even seen misleading articles on some gaming sites. If Abandonware ever became legal anyway, it would discourage companies from providing support for their old games even MORE!
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 11:28 on November 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah; I've seen these "newsposts" as well. I responded to them on my front page, but I doubt anybody paid any attention.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 10:56 on November 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Since you've started this topic, I've read at least twenty 'newsposts' in reference to this. All of them stating how this makes Abandonware legal.

I don't see where these people got those ideas! By now, I actually wished this would never have come up at all - it only caused harm and trouble so far :(
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 01:28 on October 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, that makes sense from any point of view. After all, it only grants the right to continue using your original software, even if you can't replace the hardware and OS (because they're not made) anymore. Glad to see there is at least a little common sense left in the world :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:49 on October 29th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yesterday, the US Copyright Office has issued a wide ruling on the DMCA. While most attention has been directed to the fact that the CO ruled against Lexmark in the printer cartridge case, the Office has also touched on abandonware and ROMs. While the ruling doesn't put abandonware into public domain, it says that "video games from obsolete systems" are not covered by the DMCA; in other words it is legal to crack their copy protection (it is still illegal to distribute them), which is especially important for ROMs. What I consider more important, however, is that this is the first time a US government agency has made a distinction between new software and old software. Here's what Wired had to say:

Quote:
On Tuesday, the U.S. Copyright Office released the four "classes of works" exempted from the anti-circumvention rule. People may bypass a digital lock to access lists of websites blocked by commercial filtering companies, circumvent obsolete dongles to access computer programs, access computer programs and video games in obsolete formats, and access e-books where the text-to-speech function has been disabled.

Full article
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-