The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - You all thought it was an April fool - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: GK37I
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:57 on April 8th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm not saying it will affect this 'service' being offered, but I wanted to add to the severity of the privacy issue.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 09:12 on April 8th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Remind me again, since when was Google based in Germany? ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 07:20 on April 8th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Little update on this: Several sources reported today that 'GMail' would violate the German constitution, because privacy of 'telecommunication' is guaranteed by article 10.
-----
Posted at 15:31 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Good to hear you know so much about my mailing habits! Ok, ok, just a little lame joke ;)
-----
Posted at 15:23 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Mr Creosote Posted at 19:18 on April, 7th 2004
I don't think I have ever received a useful e-mail bigger than a few KB...

I second that.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 10:18 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
E-mail: a postcard
Signed e-mail: a signed postcard
Encrypted e-mail: a postcard which everybody can read, but nobody will understand
-----
Posted at 09:29 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I still communicate with lots of people via snail mail. I always approached e-mail as something that can be intercepted and read by a third party, so for me nothing changes when I sign up with Google.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 08:09 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
As I understood it, the concept is completely unacceptable. No one would agree that some company may index the content of his letters, but on the net, there seems to be no privacy...
Posted at 08:02 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I don't think I have ever received a useful e-mail bigger than a few KB...
-----
Posted at 07:47 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
When I'm not at work, my coworkers have to download my e-mail every day, but that's because we all have only 10MB accounts. If you work in investing, you'd be surprised how many relevant .doc and .pdf files you get every day, and they aren't small. I can see the use for a 1GB e-mail.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 07:02 on April 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
And anyway, they are not the first one to offer 1GB of free e-mail space, so what's the big deal?
The fact that every village idiot has heard of Google, but not the 'competitors'.

Quote:
A lot of negative banter from Privicy groups about the advertising being topical to the content of the mail.
I wouldn't have signed up there anyway, but I do have a huge problem with this, personally. This 'technology' means that Google will be allowed to 'spider' (and thus read) all your mail. Not only that, but they'll also keep all the mail you already deleted stored for their own purposes. I seriously don't see how anyone can not have anything against that!

As for the '1GB Inbox' - what for? To be able to receive even more spam? To trade warez?
-----
Posted at 14:25 on April 6th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
There's one important distinction between what Google is doing and what Microsoft is accused of doing. Google tells you before you sign up for an account what it'll do, and it's your free choice to decide whether to sign up or not. And anyway, they are not the first one to offer 1GB of free e-mail space, so what's the big deal?
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 12:12 on April 6th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
fretz decided to post this during the period of time I had specifically marked as 'everything will be lost':
Quote:
What do we all think of Google thundering into the free email world with their size nines?

A lot of negative banter from Privicy groups about the advertising being topical to the content of the mail. This personally doesnt bothre me, the only secure emails Ive ever sent over the internet are the ones I send over the VPN between home and the office.

Personally, I like the sound of 1GB inbox. I like the sound of crushing the inpractical limitations of services like hotmail, and yahoo for that matter.

Is this the start of Google becoming the Microsoft of the Internet?
-----