The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Jagged Alliance 2 Modification - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: UfvzC
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:09 on June 25th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
'Hard' difficulty isn't really hard, either. The only difference is that you'll get into annoying situations in which one of your mercs is killed immediately (i.e. without you having any chance to do anything right or wrong) more often and that you'll have less money at the beginning.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:41 on June 25th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Part 1 finished. Final team: Ice, Magic, Kelly, Scully, Speck, Elio. I had to do without Lynx - he demanded a double salary becasue I had fired Vinny before. ;)

Altogether it was fairly easy, but right now I'm too lazy to replay it at hard difficulty.
Posted at 08:20 on June 24th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
True, the controls aren't really good. Why can you do all the general management (guards, tappers, equipment, hiring new mercs) only at the end/begining of a day?
Posted at 08:15 on June 24th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The whole controls of JA are completely unintuitive if you ask me. Once you know them, it's working quite efficient, but learning them is a pain.
-----
Posted at 08:12 on June 24th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, that's what I found out approximately at day 4. :embarassed:

Anyway, I had enough funds to pay Ice, Vinny and Hurl without additional money for some days. ;)
Posted at 07:32 on June 24th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I just started JA 1, and it's not bad either. Unfortunately, I missed the "Micro Purifier" you have to find at the beginning. Then I went back to the first sectors, and where is it? Behind some tree in the second sector...
Don't know if you remember, but you can get a map of the current sector by holding the right mouse button and dragging the mouse down. On that map, all objects are displayed as flashing pixels.
-----
Posted at 06:34 on June 24th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Johann: If I have the time, I'll check to see if I still can't finish this game, starting (if I'm lucky) sometime next week.

Just ask if you have any problems with the game.

Quote:
Didn't the alien blood (?) also have some positive effect on armor?

Yes, but that doesn't work if you have improved your armor with "Compound 18" before. Also, you can sell parts of their corpses to some guy who deals with animal parts, but usually, you have more than enough money anyway.

I just started JA 1, and it's not bad either. Unfortunately, I missed the "Micro Purifier" you have to find at the beginning. Then I went back to the first sectors, and where is it? Behind some tree in the second sector... :o
Posted at 04:39 on June 24th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
If I have the time, I'll check to see if I still can't finish this game, starting (if I'm lucky) sometime next week.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 16:18 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Didn't the alien blood (?) also have some positive effect on armor?
-----
Posted at 06:58 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I remember that part being especially hard...

Yes, it is hard, especially if you're too optimistic and go down the mine with only 3 mercs. ;) After the monsters have spotted/smelled you, they will all come to you at once, and you need a lot of fire power per round because of that. But I think with 6 mercs, it's not a big problem.
Posted at 06:45 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Training mercs is virtually impossible in the first part. 'Learning by doing' will increase marksmanship by 1 point over the whole game (if at all), and setting people to train for a whole day is just a waste of time since it costs money, you need the people in the battle and it also doesn't result in much.

Quote:
One thing sucks though: You can select "Sci-Fi-Mode", which means that one of your mines will get infested with some kind of "monsters". Actually, that's quite funny, but that part of the game is buggy.
I remember that part being especially hard...
-----
Posted at 06:38 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Anyway, I finished the first part not so long ago (right before I gave the CD to Tapuak, actually), and it does suffer from uninteresting missions, especially at the beginning. Half of the sectors just contain of randomly placed trees and nothing else.

That has improved in part two, as most battles take place in the towns or other special sectors. However, if you happen to come across an enemy squad in the wilderness, the maps can be quite boring too. But you can avoid that by running away. ;)

Quote:
Also, there are too few usable mercs, so you always end up using the same ones (Ivan, Ice, Lynx, Magic,...).

Better in part two as well. I've finished the game with completely different mercs, and there are many that are really good. Also, you can train your mercs a lot easier than in part one (if I remeber correctly). Most skills can be improved best when "learning by doing", but there are certain tactics to "boost" them systematically. For example, your strength and agility gets better when you sneak around a tank all the time and hit it with your fists. ;)

That means if you want some challenge, you can hire some bad mercs only, and they will get better from mission to mission. For example, "my" merc had a markmanship skill of 65 at the beginning, and I finished with 100 and an experience level of 10.

Quote:
Part 1.5 (Deadly Games) improves both points significantly, but in exchange, the linearity of the campaign bothers me, as well as the restrictive turn limits.

That's one of the aspects I like most in JA 2. You can try to finish the game as fast as possible, or you can virtually conquer the whole map before and solve all the mini quests - that's what I tend to do. ;)

One thing sucks though: You can select "Sci-Fi-Mode", which means that one of your mines will get infested with some kind of "monsters". Actually, that's quite funny, but that part of the game is buggy.
Posted at 06:04 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Thanks for the hint, I'll remember it next time I try it. Anyway, I finished the first part not so long ago (right before I gave the CD to Tapuak, actually), and it does suffer from uninteresting missions, especially at the beginning. Half of the sectors just contain of randomly placed trees and nothing else. Also, there are too few usable mercs, so you always end up using the same ones (Ivan, Ice, Lynx, Magic,...). Part 1.5 (Deadly Games) improves both points significantly, but in exchange, the linearity of the campaign bothers me, as well as the restrictive turn limits.
-----
Posted at 05:59 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Bah, you're just too lazy! ;)

The weapons/ammo stuff is slightly confusing at the beginning because there are so many useless pistols at first, I agree. But once you've acquired the first rifles for your mercs (which normally is after the first 5-10 battles), you will only need two kinds of ammo throughout the game: NATO 5.56 and NATO 7.62.
Posted at 02:49 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, JA2 is a little on the 'complex' side of things. How many different kinds of ammo are there? 100?
-----
Posted at 00:52 on June 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I have played that game, however, I never could figure out what to do! my mercs were out of ammo in the first screen already.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 17:27 on June 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Just finished this great classic again, and as I couldn't get enough, I was looking for more. ;)

So in case someone here likes JA 2, I recommend the mod "Urban Chaos". It's very professional, including a whole new map/campaign, some new characters, weapons and so on. And moreover, it's even longer than the original game.

The files are available here: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com

I guess I'll continue with JA 1 now. :D