The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Comics - How many HE-MAN reboots they are currently making? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: HQwkk
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 12:15 on February 16th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I've heard about this show, I'll have to check it out.
-----
Edited by 1RagokS at 12:17 on February 16th, 2022
Posted at 12:29 on January 27th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I watched the second batch of the Revelation cartoon. Quite underwhelming, I must say. Too much meaningless talking about things they pretend is important, but finally went absolutely nowhere. Like the discussion between Evil Lyn and caged Man-at-Arms about the sorceress being more powerful than He-Man. The absolutely ludicrous origin of Evil Lyn. The complete mess they made out of "the power of Grayskull". And so on. Also, really undecided between telling its own story, but then throwing in random fan service. Such as when Teela and Andra (?) sneak into Castle Grayskull through the sewers (?) and suddenly, a lot of evil henchmen turn up. Though if you want to have them in there, at least give them one good moment, instead of just disposing of them with one strike.

Oh well. They tease a second season about Hordak. I.e. they do exactly the same as they did with the 200x cartoon. Let's see if it materializes.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:30 on January 27th, 2022
Posted at 16:28 on December 29th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Cypherswipe at 16:27 on December 29th, 2021:
Funny thing with the "for kids" one; I figured out who most of the chars were going to be almost as soon as I saw them, even ones that were very different such as trap jaw and man at arms. However, I didn't realize that one girl was supposed to be ram MAN until reading about it online later.

Well, she has a funny helmet which she uses to ram into things, doesn't she? ;)
-----
Posted at 16:27 on December 29th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
In the original cartoon teela wasn't particularly special. Of course, if we want to go with original elements, then teela would have to be green skinned and heman wouldn't be prince adam but rather just some random cave man.
I don't know about the german adaptation, but the original american version of the cartoon was called "HE-MAN and the masters of the universe", clearly implying that the show was about him and that the others were just his backup singers. Meanwhile, the new series is just "masters of the universe", yet in the first season at least, it has really only focused on teela. Perhaps each season will wind up focusing on different characters, or perhaps the whole series will be teela centric.
I agree about not getting all the vitriol about the new show, though I do get the distaste for it.

Funny thing with the "for kids" one; I figured out who most of the chars were going to be almost as soon as I saw them, even ones that were very different such as trap jaw and man at arms. However, I didn't realize that one girl was supposed to be ram MAN until reading about it online later.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 10:51 on December 18th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That complaint seems to be quite common. I think it really depends on your original socialization. I mostly grew up with German comics and audio dramas of MOTU. In those, He-Man was always just a "strong leader", but one amongst many. Which makes some sense. After all, it is called Masters of the Universe (also the new cartoon), not The He-Man Hour.

As far as it being a continuation (still taking about the adult one), it really makes sense, doesn't it? After all, from day 1, Teela was supposed to become the new protector of Grayskull. This was part of the initial series lore in the early 80s.

Not saying it's the best series ever. As I said before, I'm sort of tired of this all-too-clever for their own sake storytelling, the rampant fan service etc. Still, I don't get the big uproar.
-----
Posted at 09:32 on December 16th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I watched the whole first season of that "adult" one. it was ok so far, although the way it ended made the entire season pointless. The show's greatest flaw was the false advertising (pretending to be a heman show when it was all about teela. It would have been so much better off if they called it "the teela chronicles" or some such).

I watched the first 3 or so episodes of the "for kids" one. It's ironic, while nearly every detail has been changed from the original, the overall... um.. ..feel? ..intent? ..character? of the show is much truer to the original series than the one which is supposedly a direct continuation of said original.
-----
Posted at 20:24 on December 14th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I watched two episodes of the new cartoon for kids. Oh well, I'm not the target audience, that much is clear :o
-----
Posted at 14:19 on August 9th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I watched the remaining episodes (in case this is read later: meaning the first five).

Episodes 3+4 were quite good. Episode 5 was just a large pile of fan service.

Overall, it was entertaining back to back. Though honestly, I'm growing a bit tired of these large-scale end-of-the-world-apocalyptic-post-nuclear-whatever epics. It was quite predominant in those 200x cartoon, also in the comics since then ("The Eternity War" etc.). I'd really like to see some more basic adventure plotting again. But then, with the more unique characterization of the newer cartoons/comics, because I'm also tired of Mer-Man being identical with Beast-Man, Trap-Jaw etc (as in Filmation from the 80s).
-----
Posted at 19:43 on August 3rd, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The second episode had some nice action in the temple, but beyond that too much clumsy expositional dialogue. Also I don't like Teela's hairstyle. Oh well.
-----
Posted at 18:15 on August 1st, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, well, the first episodes of the new Revelation cartoon are out. I watched the first one, not too bad. They are really trying hard to appeal to the old core audience – even the two halves of the sword appear. What I didn't like was some of the rather plastic looking CGI. The characters are ok, but the vehicles…

Fun fact: after episode conclusion, my wife asked why there was no moral at the end ;)
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:51 on August 1st, 2021
Posted at 08:15 on April 10th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Agreed. This "body positivity" is definitely going too far in that series. In fact, I don't even like this term. Very appropriate that you used quotation marks around "average". Not communicating the expectation everybody has to be a super model is a good thing™. On the other hand, communicating that it's ok to be a super fat slob (not caused by actual medical conditions) is not a good thing, considering all the health issues resulting from it.

What I finally liked about the series was that each of the characters received some personality. Let's be honest, in the original, there was really nothing setting Catra apart from Scorpia. One had claws and could turn into a panther, the other had a stinging tail, but those physical differences aside, they acted the same.

The new series put everything in a very one-dimensional way for each person at first, but finally, everybody received their moments. For instance, Scorpia was essentially a complete simpleton, but first time she was shown in a real battle, defending a fortress, she was really bad-ass powerful and competent. Also, she turned out loving and loyal.

Towards the end, things went too far honestly, with everyone being "good" (including Hordak!), but watching an episode once in a while I found entertaining enough.
-----
Posted at 05:12 on April 10th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I watched the first episode or two of the new she-ra one. It was ok, but just didn't appeal much to me.
Ironically, I think they stabbed themselves in the foot in regards to trying to send a positive message. I think that (like most newer toons/comics, such as the jem & the holograms comic a while back) they intentionally made the characters more "average" looking and less "sexy" than the original series to send a more positive message about body image (and of course the fact that the chars are supposed to be younger in this series). However, I think the effort backfire in regards to she-ra herself. In the original series her design sent the message "you can be beautiful AND strong at the same time" but with the stocky & boyish design of her in the new series it sends the message "you can only be strong if you look masculine".

I felt the same about the first shrek movie & princess fiona. I think human fiona was a more positive role model than ogre fiona, because human fiona sent the message "you don't have to be a helpless girly-girl just because you look good" whereas ogre fiona says "if you're not beautiful (ie all girly-girl & ladylike) on the inside, then you can't be beautiful on the outside either".
-----
Posted at 21:09 on February 25th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Haha, no clue, sorry. Let's see how many of those will actually materialize.

I've watched the She-Ra Netflix cartoon from some years ago, though. It wasn't bad, it held my interest sufficiently for all five series.
-----
Posted at 19:57 on February 25th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I heard there is one new series for children one for grown up nostalgic and another one by Netflix. In at least one of them Sorceress looks bad. But i don't have any clue if who is making the other two and find it hard to not get confused while searching trough the internet. Does anybody knows better. Or maybe better if your are either Hulk or colonel Hogan.
-----
????????