The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Completing the alphabet - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: V9A9W
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 10:12 on November 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by fretz at 01:29 on September, 28th 2004:

Youve got me in the mood for some 2600-web-love though so believe me, the weekend of Oct 9th-10th I'll be collecting those systems from storage.
So.... anything?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 05:38 on October 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
They also must have been way easier to play with the appropriate arcade joystick too thus artificialy increasing the level of difficulty.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 15:38 on September 30th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Also a note about MAME roms, the arcade games are almost always WAY harder than the comparable comsumer games. The point is, afterall, to get your quarters.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 04:02 on September 30th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I asked, I got replies and I acknowledged the existence of this 'Q-game'. That's all I'm going to do, though :P Everything else was a reaction to your statement that it deserves to be on the site - which I disagree with.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:56 on September, 30th 2004
-----
Posted at 15:56 on September 29th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Not in my opinion, and that is why I won't be putting it on the site. You're welcome to provide all required related contents yourself, though.
You are the one who asked for games beginning with those letters. If you're unhappy of the result then don't bother asking... :P
-----
Posted at 14:05 on September 29th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Authenticity. All the roms have it enabled because they come straight from arcade cabinets. Plus the people that build them like to put in working coin doors and that allows them to do that. Also, the coin switch can be used to control options in the game that are accessed by the owner of the machine.
-----
Posted at 12:39 on September 29th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Right. '5' did that, and then I could start the game. It's just... what's the point of this coin-inserting stuff?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:30 on September, 29th 2004
-----
Posted at 12:24 on September 29th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
You have to "Insert Coin" I forget which one that is. Just start massaging your keyboard and it'll put one in and hit "1" then.
-----
Posted at 10:04 on September 29th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No luck with Qix by the way. I've never used 'MAME' in my whole life, so I installed it and tried starting the game. The frontend doesn't even list it as available, though.

Edit: Nevermind, it's just that this frontend sucks. I did it via command line, and it's working.

Another edit: Call me stupid, but this is probably the worst emulator I've ever seen! The game is running in demo mode all the time, and I can't get it to start an interactive game, no matter which keys I press. It says '1' is the key to start a single player game, but that doesn't do anything - just like all the firebuttons set for player 1.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:37 on September, 29th 2004
-----
Posted at 10:23 on September 28th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Retired Gumby
I have one of the newer "rainbow" models. I guess it's also the most common one in Germany.

Edit: Partly that's because Atari was able to sell some of them in the early nineties when it was already antiqued. After the German reunification, the people in East Germany seemed to buy anything that looked like a computer. ;)

Edited by Tapuak at 18:24 on September, 28th 2004
Attachment: *****
Posted at 08:38 on September 28th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Are you just calling it the Darth Vader model or is it an actual 2600 somehow endorsed by Darth Vader?
-----
Posted at 02:22 on September 28th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Eagle of Fire at 01:11 on September, 28th 2004:

Quest for Glory is a very good blend of a Adventure and RPG game. Both side of the game is good. It deserve to be taken on the site.
Not in my opinion, and that is why I won't be putting it on the site. You're welcome to provide all required related contents yourself, though.

fretz:
Quote:
[...]lots of stuff about different models[...]
That's exactly why I said it won't be of any use to tell this to you ;)
Quote:
who I know is an avid reader of these boards despite never posting
Oh... too shy to say anything - how cuuuuute :P
-----
Posted at 17:38 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Its hard to say which is the most common, in the US its probably either the normal 6 switch woodgrain or the 4 switch woodgrain. In the UK (and probably all of Europe) its definately the rainbow stripe 2600 Jnr.

From my collection, I have a 6 switch heavy sixer (rounded corners BTW) but one of the corners is chipped so it wont make a good photo. I have a *perfect* 2600 Vader model, which is my personal favourite, but again - far from being the most common. From my collection Id advise going for the 4 switch woodgrain or the rainbow stripe Jnr model.

For the purpose of TGOD website I'd say your best bet is with any of the woodgrain models, they are the models most synonamous(sp?) with the 2600/VCS, problem is I dont have them right here right now, they are at my parents 200 miles away in Lancashire - dont worry though, I will be going there in October and will make a special effort to grab them (and the ~200 carts I dont actually play :D ) Currently all my 2600 fix's get played out on an Atari 7800, which is compatible with all but 3 2600 games (Robot Tank, Activision Decathalon and another game I cant remember whith at the moment _dunce_ :) )

Youve got me in the mood for some 2600-web-love though so believe me, the weekend of Oct 9th-10th I'll be collecting those systems from storage.

Although should my friend, Winsters, (who I know is an avid reader of these boards despite never posting)(and a 7000+ ebay seller, including the occasional 2600) have a model he can snap for us, that would be cool. He usually has a few 2600's lying around the place.

Either way, just hold fire until the weekend after next and fretz' yer uncle :D
Posted at 17:20 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quest for Glory is a very good blend of a Adventure and RPG game. Both side of the game is good. It deserve to be taken on the site.
-----
Posted at 12:32 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've never seen a woodgrain Atari2600, but of course, I've only ever seen like 8. ;)
-----
Posted at 10:48 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's probably no use saying this to you, but... the common one ;) Try to use a perspective like for example on the image of the Amiga or the SNES on the site.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:40 on September, 27th 2004
-----
Posted at 09:52 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Which model, ive got about 12 of 'em :P

2600 Woodgrain 6 switch Heavy Sixer (extra RF sheilding)(california manufactured)
2600 Woodgrain 6 switch normal
2600 Woodgrain Sears Telegames
2600 Woodgrain 4 switch
2600 4 switch Darth Vader

2600 Jnr rainbow strip
2600 Jnr Irish Black strip
Posted at 07:51 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I used to, but it was brought to justice by parents quite a while ago :angry:
-----
Posted at 06:55 on September 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quest for Glory begins with 'Q', but other than that, it's completely unsuited ;)

Does anyone have a real Atari 2600? I'd need a photo of one to make the system logo for the title bar.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:19 on September, 27th 2004
-----
Posted at 16:28 on September 26th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
What about Quest for Glory?
-----