The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Next version of Netscape will use IE - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: t2Dip
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:54 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Mmmmh, maybe I'll stay with FF then. Although I didn't read the license agreement completly so who knows what they might be up to.
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 07:39 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's also spyware:
Quote:
(a) AUTOMATIC FEEDBACK. You agree that the Browser may periodically check your computer system for, and report back, without additional notice to you, information relating to your use of the Browser, including, for example, information relating to the frequency of your use of the Browser, your Browser configuration settings, and information on computer errors, malfunctions or other abnormalities occurring during your use of the Browser. The Netscape Browser team may use the information for such purposes as diagnosing performance issues with the Browser, improving the reliability of the download and install process, and improving its products and services to users generally. This information will not be tied to any information that would identify you personally.

(b) BROWSER ID. The Browser contains a specific identification number for the purpose of tracking the number of unique instances of the Browser in use. This number is not associated with any information about you, or that would personally identify you.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:07 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
*shivers in horror*
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 05:16 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Sorry, only noticed that later. Yeah, that's strange indeed.
Posted at 04:38 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The problem with this 'Netscape' is just that it doesn't use 'spoofing', but it actually uses the Microsoft engine to render pages :pain:
-----
Posted at 02:19 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
I wish I'd kept the URL, but I read an AOL-issued press release the other day in which they managed to spill some 2000 words on THEIR new browser without mentioning Mozilla once.

I tried the Firefox/Thunderbird releases, but they're far slower than any Mozilla suite releases I use on various machines.

As for browser impersonation, KDE's Konqueror has been doing that for a while now, and there's a bigger choice of browsers/platforms to fake. You can even create your own, which is pretty funny if you imagine web admins going through their logs and stumbling on "Lynx 0.9 w/DHTML+Java extensions on Windows for Workgroups for the DEC PDP-8".
Posted at 13:52 on May 19th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
This abomination is out now. Stay clear of it!
-----
Posted at 09:35 on December 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
You guys are going to love this tidbit I just found:
Quote:
Q: To use IE for selected sites, this new version of Netscape uses a plugin called npTrident to embed the IE engine into the browser. Unfortuanately, *any* website can invoke this plugin, by writing:

<embed name="plugin" src="<http://www.evilsite.com">; type="text/html"/> (See http://freespace.virgin.net/pdj.stone/ietest.html for an example)

This exposes the user to any security holes present in IE, even if they are using the Gecko engine. /Q.

Thread link : http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=5691#39
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 09:02 on December 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Having both rendering engines available in a single browser can be a useful tool, and an amusing toy, IF it's used properly. It can be used by developers to see how their site looks in IE without having to fire up a second browser, and it can be interesting to compare a site as just a user. It can also be useful if you're browsing the web and come across a site that looks like shit, then you can switch to the IE engine and see if that's the source of the problem.
Realisticly though, this is a bad move. Most netscape users will start using it because of one or two pages that won't load properly/at all in netscape due to either poor design, or M$'s crap (the way they only allow IE to connect to the windows update site), then just get lazy and leave it set to IE. Also, it will make many people start thinking "well if netscape is using IE's engine, but IE isn't using netscape's, then IE must be the better browser".

btw This isn't the first attempt to get both engines in one browser, although it may be the first successful one. The one IE frontend (I forget it's name now, but it's claim to fame was extreme skinnability) had the ability to use the gecko engine. However, it was nearly impossible to make it work.

edit:
Quote:
During the installation, a US ZIP code is requested to allow Netscape to provide local weather information (more on that later). This UK-based correspondent entered the only US ZIP code he knows, 90210.

Heh, that's funny.

edit 2: Neoplanet is the IE frontend I was thinking of, the one that included an option to use the gecko engine.

Edited by Cypherswipe at 16:54 on December, 05th 2004
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 17:40 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
That's what I don't know.
For example I fear the Mozilla Organization could change priorities in extending mozilla and firefox. Don't know. If I could specifiy this feeling I would already have said something, but I can't. I just have a bad feeling about it.

Mh... maybe the fire could be gone when they reached their goals...
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 12:10 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I don't even know if it would be so good, if Firefox would get a share of more than 25%.

What would be so bad about that?
Posted at 11:06 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Telling them there's a new version of Netscape gets them interested in way more cases.

That's a point, indeed. But this will change (hopefully) in the next months, while Firefox gets known to and used by common-users.

I don't even know if it would be so good, if Firefox would get a share of more than 25%. I just don't know... :doubt:
-----
Posted at 10:25 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
So what? The Netscape browser was totally useless since version 6.0 anyway.
To 'techie' users, yes. However, Mozilla (including Firefox) never achieved the amount of 'brand name recognition' Netscape still has. Telling people about Mozilla will only result in a blank stare usually. Telling them there's a new version of Netscape gets them interested in way more cases.
-----
Posted at 10:19 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
They may as well have said, "That's it, we surrender."

So what? The Netscape browser was totally useless since version 6.0 anyway.
Posted at 05:23 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
They may as well have said, "That's it, we surrender."

That pretty much sums it up. :pain:
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 04:32 on December 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In more practical terms, I really wonder how it is going to help to establish the actual standards on the net if there's the 'fallback' option to use this completely buggy mess.
-----
Posted at 11:19 on December 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:

Microsoft welcomed the news that Netscape would be letting people browse with IE and said it fit with the company's vision of IE as a software development platform.

Ha! Development-Platform...
The open Web-Standards are some kind of a Development-Platform and there are already al lot of Web-Application (which are mostly not on the Web, but in Intra- and Extranets), but there are natural borders for Web-Applications: possibility and performance. But I'm getting of topic... Of course it's their development platform... :angry:

This article is quite stupid. They still don't understand, that it is totally irrelevant how a Webpage looks like, since every layout is just an offer to the viewer, which must have the option to deactivate the layout (CSS) and maybe use it's own.

But for that they would need to learn how to make correct Web-Pages...
-----
Posted at 11:06 on December 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
From http://www.mozillazine.org/articles/article5691.html:
Quote:
If the sight of the 'Display like Internet Explorer' option made you break out in a cold sweat, please be seated. It's true: this option makes Netscape use IE's Trident rendering engine for the current site. Here's how Netscape describe it in their help file: "Remember the old debate over which is the best browser? Tired of having to use different browsers to surf the web? Well, now the debate is over: Netscape Browser includes two separate layout engines, so you can choose to view a web site like Netscape Browser or like Internet Explorer." They may as well have said, "That's it, we surrender." With 'Display like Internet Explorer' enabled, Netscape uses IE to render pages, sends the user-agent of your installed version of IE to websites and makes Microsoft representatives say, "We are very pleased to see a vibrant ecosystem involving hundreds of partners and independent software vendors continue to develop on the IE platform." The option is omnipresent in Netscape's context menus, always the first item in the content area.
-----
Posted at 10:56 on December 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
http://news.com.com/New+Netscape+embraces+Firefox%2C+IE/2100-1032-5470378.html

That's probably the most stupid thing I've ever read.
-----