The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Question about Lord of the Realms (1) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: MIoH8
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 06:31 on January 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There's an alternate floppy version which has only Germany and a CD version which lets you choose whether to play in Germany on in England.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 05:14 on January 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Is it possible to play on a German map? How's so? Diferent version, perhaps? Didn't know that...

22 counties so far, 2 nobleman in the game. It's getting pretty tiring to play.. :angry:
Posted at 08:40 on December 31st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, that's the one. He can still be useful later on, because on the map of England (or Germany if you're playing on that map), the shires which need attention have blinking flags, so you don't necessarily need to remember the names.

I never tried any cheats on the game, so I can't help you with that. It's easy enough as it is.
-----
Posted at 06:30 on December 30th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
You mean the steward? He pops up when you reach 3 counties, and until you reach 5 or 6 he's quite usefull, letting you know where do you need to act.. But when you have over 10 counties, the lists become so friggin huge and the counties' names are so alike (I'm Portuguese, so I lack a certain sensivity to all the "-shires") that he becomes useless IMO. I just leave him there to know if rations have actually changed anywhere.

BTW, do you know if the fabled "Nazis on parade" and the 650000 wood and stone cheats actually work? I've tried them, and I never could get them working...
Posted at 06:19 on December 30th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, I have finished the game many times, although usually, I stop playing when I have conquered enough to make it clear I can't possibly be stopped by the AI players anymore. The large amount of routine work (even if you assign this helper, whatever his title was) in the later game is the game's biggest downside in my opinion.

That's one thing which has been intelligently avoided in the sequel. The battles are just as silly as in the first one there, though. Never played the third one, just heard about it the first time ever from you, in fact ;) In any case, Lords of the Realm is the best game Impressions have ever made, so it is rather sad how little known (in spite of being pretty new) it is.
-----
Posted at 06:11 on December 30th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Cool! I'm trying that, and I can't complain so far about the results.

Why is there so little people who actually cares about this game? Everyone goes nuts about LoR 2 and 3, but this little em keeps left behind...

Have you ever actually finished it? I always get bored of it by the time I have about 12-15 counties and I have to spend 98% of my turn time assigning workers and correcting rations, always in fear of forgetting to check out a county and 2% actually moving my armies and battling!
Posted at 07:50 on December 28th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What I usually do is put a relatively small number of people on the most important task (e.g. mining iron or whatever you currently need) and not touch that number anymore to let them gain experience as quickly as possible. Even for autumn harvest, I leave them mining, because otherwise, they'll immediately lose all of their experience again. For all the other people which are only idle from food production in certain times of the year, I use another job as a 'dump'. For example, I let a small but experienced group produce iron, and all other people who are left chop wood. These woodcutters never gain any real experience, of course, it's only a secondary task when there's nothing else to do.
-----
Posted at 09:31 on December 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
So, what would be the most favourable equilibrium? Is there a noticiable advantage of having lots of people working on the same task while letting their experience rise? Or it's better to have just a few that are already more experienced?

Thanks for your help!
Posted at 09:10 on December 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No the 'completion bar' is the little red one. The percentage is the experience the people you have allocated to this job have in that field of employment. If you put new people to it, the average experience decreases. That is why it's a good idea to keep the same amount of people on the job every season. Then, the experience will increase, and work will be done faster.
-----
Posted at 07:58 on December 27th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
First, hi there!

I just wanted to ask anyone with experience with this game how mining works? I can't seem to figure it out.. what does that percentage number that appears (which decreases slightly with the number of people allocated means? Also, what about the red bar on the right? Is it a "completion" (sp?) bar?

Thanks!