The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Noctroplis problem - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: yEgfw
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 03:36 on June 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Since you didn't give any specifics about your system and what you're doing, I'll just state the obvious:

- The path you're trying to istall to musn't already exist in the virtual filesystem offered by Dosbox. Check if you have a directory with the name you're trying to use anywhere below what you're giving Dosbox as root on your hd.
- All path names used by MS-DOS applications must contain 8 letters or less, without any spaces or special characters.
- The CD or CD image has to be mounted as a CD in Dosbox, not as a hd.

The file INSTALL.CFG is created on the installation, and since you never completed that, it's obviously not there.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:09 on June 10th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I have the same prob as above, but was told that the downloadable version of Noctropolis will only work if I download DOSbox. I did that, and I have D-Fend as well, not that I know what the hell to do with it...??? Can someone help. Everytime I try to install Noctropolis in DOSbox it says the path already exists and only 53% of the game is installed. Then when I try to run it is says it is missing the install.cfg file. Where can I get this?? What do I do??
Suggestions??... PLEASE...I love this game, and really wanna play it.
Posted at 11:36 on April 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I see.
Posted at 08:56 on April 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's great news you got the game to work :) What I'm saying is just that the site you got it from apparantely doesn't understand the CVS system, because now, you have an unstable snapshot installed as your only version - let's hope it doesn't crash or break anything. I'd really advise you to get familiar with CVS yourself in case you ever see the need of using it again, because it's really way more useful if used as it's intended.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:01 on April, 04th 2005
-----
Posted at 08:40 on April 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
It does not matter, what is more important - game works!
(after "replace the .exe file with the one you got here")
Posted at 07:47 on April 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
CVS = Concurrent Versions System. The point is to have different development versions of the same software installed at the same time. That's the way it is when you pull the current development branch directly from the CVS server. However, if you replace the binary of an existing installation with one from CVS, you'll still only have one version - so this whole 'CVS compile' site seems totally pointless to me.
-----
Posted at 02:36 on April 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
This is Open Source Project...
Posted at 02:02 on April 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
you need to download an official release (ie from here) and replace the .exe file with the one you got here
Erm... doesn't that somehow defeat the purpose of the Concurrent Versions System?
-----
Posted at 14:44 on April 3rd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately, i cannot run this game in Win98/DOS environment without sound flaws.
But...
it works with latest build of DOSbox CVS!
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/index.php?target=system&id=dosbox
(read text on that page carefully!)
Posted at 10:17 on April 3rd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, working flawlessly. If I remember correctly, if it hangs at this message, it means the game can't find your sound card. Is is Sound Blaster compatible? Is an appropriate driver loaded? Is the 'set blaster' statement in the config.sys present and correct?
-----
Posted at 19:10 on April 2nd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 20:09 on February, 25th 2005:

Quote:
I cant get Murders Deadfellows to start either btw...
From what I've been told, no chance with Windows XP or current Dosbox. You have to use either MS-DOS, FreeDOS, Dosemu or Windows 9x - that's what I've tried it with.

And... succesful? In my DOS/FreeDOS system game freezes on "please wait, initializing pc..."
Posted at 12:35 on February 25th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You're welcome :)
-----
Posted at 12:29 on February 25th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Hi and tanks for you fast answer!

I found the problem thanks to you!
I did the usual mount, but forgot to mount it as a CDrom...I thought I did, but when I did so, and mounted c: as my harddrive, it works perfectly!

Thank you very mucch for great help and assistance!
Posted at 12:09 on February 25th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
readprotected
writeprotected?

Quote:
pagefault didnt correct table
Is that supposed to be a quote of the error message?

A thought: Have you actually mounted the CD as CD using the -t cdrom switch in Dosbox?

Quote:
From what I've been told, no chance with Windows XP or current Dosbox. You have to use either MS-DOS, FreeDOS, Dosemu or Windows 9x - that's what I've tried it with.
-----
Posted at 11:07 on February 25th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Hi there!

I recently downloaded Noctropolis, and I cant make it run in dosbox...or in XP
Ive tried everything I can think of!

Ive burned it on regular CD, mounted it with Daemontools and even copied the whole lot to a directory...nothing helps!
If its on the cd, it cant install because of the file INSTALL.GPH as it says its readprotected. Ofcourse it is, its on the cd!

If I copy to a directory, it complains that the checksum is wrong.

I fooled the installation by making a textdoc and called it install.cfg.
Then the installation suddenly starts (at last)and when Ive completed it terminates normally as it says...

but after I try to get the DARK.EXE file start, it ends with an error (pagefault didnt correct table) and quits.

Ive tried with dosbox running alone, and with defender as frontend...nothing helps...

How can I make this gem of oldie to work?
I have XP, to much hardrive space for my own good, and 4 ghz, with SP1 installed...

Please help...