The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Editorial: Benefits of Gaming - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: cYkHP
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 06:26 on May 24th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
My colleagues do admit it freely, but that's just because I work in a computer shop.

Indeed, many people seem to consider it childish. I disagree...vehemently.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 05:54 on May 24th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Thanks for reading that, all of you.
Posted at 07:52 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Well I must be one of the lucky few then, I know for certain that a couple of my colleagues are gamers. We talk about the topic now and again.
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 07:31 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 15:18 on May, 20th 2005:

Quote:
Let's have a look at what 'gamer' means these days: It's playing extremely violent games purely concerned with mass murder. The more gruesome, the better. Seriously - that's not something I want to be associated with.

That's a point of view I can understand and share with you, though. However, that wouldn't be a reson to deny gaming on the whole. I don't play such games, so I don't feel "guilty" for something that I don't practise.
True enough, but there is one problem: Most people aren't 'curious enough' to actually be interested in the nuances. If they ask "do you play computer games", the answer "no" is closer to the truth than "yes" for me, because what people mean with this question in 99% of all cases is "do you know the latest hit". Looking at it that way, I'm not even lying. If I'd say "yes", on the other hand, they wouldn't take the time to listen to my explanations anymore, and they'd be stuck with a wrong image of me.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:18 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
it still doesn't have the same 'standing' as other media

Which is ridiculous. Let's take a look at some media entertainment alternatives to computer games: TV/movies, books, radio, general internet usage. None of them generally has a higher quality or more ambitious contents that could make them more acceptable from a serious perspective. The 90% crap rule has been mentioned here before; it can be applied to all media including computer games. If you bring to mind the total junk that is being broadcasted by TV and radio stations, it's hard to believe that those two media types have a higher degree of acceptance than computer games.

Quote:
I've denied that I play computer games several times already myself. Not because I'm ashamed of what I do, but because you immediately get stuck into stereotype.

Oh, come on. I experienced that most younger people have a more relaxed attitude towards gaming. I guess it will be accepted as a normal hobby by forthcoming generations.

Quote:
Let's have a look at what 'gamer' means these days: It's playing extremely violent games purely concerned with mass murder. The more gruesome, the better. Seriously - that's not something I want to be associated with.

That's a point of view I can understand and share with you, though. However, that wouldn't be a reson to deny gaming on the whole. I don't play such games, so I don't feel "guilty" for something that I don't practise.
Posted at 06:53 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I know what you're talking about very well. Almost nobody will 'confess' they're playing computer games. Strange phenomenon, but considering that it still doesn't have the same 'standing' as other media, also understandable.

Going into a slightly different direction, there are numerous reasons not to talk about ones' gaming antics, though. I've denied that I play computer games several times already myself. Not because I'm ashamed of what I do, but because you immediately get stuck into stereotype.

Also, you're saying 'gamers' are nicer to work with. Speaking more generally, that's something along the lines of sharing interests with people which makes their company more pleasant. Most certainly true. However, it can also get quite annoying if these interests are (from the outside view) shifted just slightly. For example, whenever I meet people "who grew up with 1st-generation Pentium machines", I get to hate them pretty quickly. Although we certainly have a lot in common, their view on computers and games in specific is a lot different from mine. Way more limited if you ask me, but that's purely subjective. Let's just say it's different in ways which can't be overcome. Fundamental differences without a chance of any compromise.

So anyway, I really enjoyed exchanging quotes from Monkey Island with a few fellow students last week, but the gamer stereotype is still nothing I want to be associated with. Schizophrenic? Probably.
-----
Posted at 06:52 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I've never felt so weak that I was forced to deny my affinity to gaming. Maybe because I'm just 22? Most of my friends aren't as much into gaming as I am, so that's not a frequent topic of conversation anyway.

I agree with ardell's point that games have contributed a lot to the mass spreading of computers; they forward upgrading of hardware, and create more user identification that others software does.

As for the kind of ("older") people who play computer games more than sporadically, I can't figure out or define a homogenous group. Two characteristics according to my impression: 1) By far mostly male. 2) Intelligence above average. Real dedication to a game, i.e. playing it significantly longer than Solitaire in the coffee break, requires a lot of concentration. Many people can't concentrate on one thing more than some minutes. Conclusion: If most people watch trash TV while I play games, I'm satisfied with my situation.

However, it difficult to judge whether the ability to concentrate on one issue for a longer time is a result of gaming. Perhaps gaming contributes to it. Perhaps the ability was there before and you play games because of this ability. Who knows? :P
Posted at 05:06 on May 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Editorial by ardell. Comments?
-----