The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Hardware problems - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ji5FL
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 15:45 on July 9th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Sorry ming but i disagree.... it is in no way the psu.

i also would put several hundred pounds on it being either Ram

or Static... dont underestimate static boys... once she gets in your system she'll ride around all day getting stronger till *spark* a lil jump at the i/o controller...

hey man,... it can happen.... but probably a 1:6,238,008 chance of it doing so....
-----
~Silmaril
Posted at 17:24 on July 6th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Power supply going south -- that's my diagnosis.
But vacuum the dust out of the case first, in
case that's the problem instead.
-----
ming
Posted at 10:51 on July 6th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll do a second, more exhaustive hardware cleaning first. If that doesn't help, I'll check the RAM.

I don't think it's a PS2/USB problem. Input via these ports works fine. Mouse and keyboard only don't work when the system freezes (of course).

It's strange that the freeze/crash always seems to happen some minutes after booting. As soon as the system runs for a longer time (more than 15 minutes), it doesn't crash.
Posted at 04:24 on July 6th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I've once seen a similar problem caused by a short-circuit near the ps-2 ports on the motherboard. Have you tried switching to USB(or the other way around?) and if so, did the problem still persist but a lot less frequent?

Defective RAM is also a very plausible one.

Edited by Johann67 at 12:27 on July, 06th 2005
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 03:45 on July 6th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Overheating might be the reason, but my first guess was defective RAM, too. Of course, if keyboard and mouse are affected, it might also be a defective I/O controller (whatever connection they're hanging on - PS/2, USB,...). First thing should be cleaning the insides and checking the RAM, though.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:42 on July, 06th 2005
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:43 on July 5th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Check if your fan(s) inside the computer are all working in top shape condition.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 15:41 on July 5th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Defective ram might also cause this. Bad connections lose cables, dust ...
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 14:56 on July 5th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I have some computer problems for a few days now. The system freezes in seemingly random situations; keyboard and mouse input is blocked, and a hard reset is necessary. Sometimes, the system doesn't freeze, but it crashes and reboots automatically. It's not a software problem, as this happens with diffenrent operating systems. Am I right that such things are mostly caused by high temepratures or an instable power connection?