The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Should software be hosted here too? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: dqRqW
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 03:44 on February 10th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
There is no need for offering windows 95 yet. It's possible to get it nearly everywhere and there's no real use for it, because windows 98 does the same, even on old machines.

You're completely right, why old apps are interesting. That's also why I myself are searching for them. I have old machines laying around in the basement.

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R
Posted at 03:33 on February 10th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
A few more thoughts when and why old applications are interesting:
-for old computers (old hardware, old OS)
-opening some old file which is in a format support for which has long been dropped from new programs
-right tool for the right job (no bloat)
-product branches which have been abandoned (i.e. no newer version has been released for many years and publisher shows no intention to pick it up again)
-fun programs (Dr. Sbaitso was the first entry to the apps section after the old one had been dropped)

As for the question of when an application becomes Abandonware, it has to be handled more strictly than games in my opinion - for the reasons of versioning you all mentioned. The general points 3-R4ZOR mentioned are quite sensible for example, but cases have to be discussed and decided individually. For example, I'm not sure I'd offer Windows 95.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 03:01 on February 10th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I think applications are classified as abandonware, if the manufacturer is gone bankrupt, the application isn't supported in any way and it's older than 6 years.

I would say, any version of windows before 98 is abandonware. 98 is still supported by microsoft so it isn't abandoned yet.

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R
Posted at 01:00 on February 10th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Mh, the same case with FIFA 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 and all other EA-Sports titles... ;)
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 19:43 on February 9th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Also I think it is a lot harder to classify when applications go 'abandonware'. There are obvious cases of course, but take Photoshop for example. Which, if any, versions considered abandonware? 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0? There are better examples but my minds a little clouded right now/.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 13:16 on February 9th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In many cases, yes, I agree. This is also one of the main reasons I see why offering old applications isn't such a wide-spread phenomenon.
-----
Posted at 12:41 on February 9th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Am I wrong, when saying that most old applications lose their reason, when getting older - in total opposition to games?

Of course, there are exceptions.

Edited by dregenrocks at 20:41 on February, 09th 2006
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 12:12 on February 9th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, but the existing one will probably be maintained again and get a better structure. We'll see if and when this happens.
-----
Posted at 17:19 on February 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Nice turn of event. Does that mean we'll have a "new" section up and running soon? :)

Edit: and by "we" I mean you, on the site.

Edited by Eagle of Fire at 01:19 on February, 08th 2006
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 13:51 on February 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Descriptions: Both languages if possible. The vast majority of the site's visitors don't speak German. Just send everything to me via e-mail.

Categories: I agree that the apps section has already reached a size which makes further subcategories useful. I won't change anything in this design anymore, but I'll implement it in the new one which is discussed in that other thread. The question is: which categories? Emulators, sure, but what else can you identify so far? I can think of many, but most of them would only contain a single entry then.
-----
Posted at 11:02 on February 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Okay, I'll send many of my things in, with description and screenshot. Should the description be in german and/or english? I'm actually better in writing german...

Please do something about the applications so they're sorted in categories.

Should I send the files to your mail address?

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R
Posted at 06:20 on February 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, as I'm always telling everyone, I'm basically just waiting for people to send stuff in. So just write something up (100 words is the minimum for applications which is a far cry from the 300 word rule for games) and provide a screenshot, and it'll be online in no time. You have to understand that I'm not giving just everyone access to the administration tools immediately, that is why you'll have to send your stuff to me at first.
-----
Posted at 12:14 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I could help much with thatone. I love trying out old software (and new too). And writing a little description of it isn't really hard.
And I can speak very good german ;)
If you want I can become the one who's writing tests about programs and maybe linking to some other pages (wikipedia, etc.).

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R
Posted at 11:35 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Coding and application availability isn't really the issue. The problem is that there's nobody writing about those apps.
-----
Posted at 11:16 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I've looked through the programs section. In my opinion there are a bit too few programs there (I could contribute some of mine). And I think it should be sorted in some categories, like emulators, text-processing, etc.

As you said, that site I told about, it isn't good. Too clutterd and all. Please, do something better than that. I could also help some with coding and stuff like that.

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R
Posted at 11:01 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, so you're talking about applications. Games are software, too, you know.

Anyway, to answer your question, this used to be the largest site for old applications on the net. We had way more to offer than that horrible site you've linked to back then. However, the lack of quality of that section didn't fit in with the rest of the site, so I dumped it.

Your assumption there isn't any other source these days is still, wrong, though. If you click on 'Applications' right here on this site, you'll get quite a few. Between all these emulators which I'd count as current software, there are quite a few old gems. Just from the first page out of five: AddressMate, Appetizer, Banner Mania, Contiki, Deluxe Paint II and Dr. Sbaitso.

So, in conclusion, there's nothing against offering old applications, it's just that there are only few people who take care of it...
-----
Posted at 10:50 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I mean, there's only one source for software. There should be more.
There are plenty of sites for games, so why not for old office software?
And: I'm not advertising anything.
Posted at 10:41 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tuss at 18:17 on February, 5th 2006:

It says I've already voted and there are ten votes. Even though I haven't visited here since the 2nd.
Fixed.
-----
Posted at 10:17 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
It says I've already voted and there are ten votes. Even though I haven't visited here since the 2nd.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 02:01 on February 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I would not take such a guy seriously if I was you Creosote. Unless he do manage to sound somehow coherent in his next messages, he's obviously someone who have no clue what he's doing.

Though I'm sure you have more experience than me on such a matters anyways. :)
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.