The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Problem Downloading - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ThpqV
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 08:21 on March 3rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
With dosbox I normally solve the lack of memory problems with the command "loadfix -1".

Also you may try D-Fend, as it makes it easier to use Dosbox.
http://members.home.nl/mabus/
Posted at 07:44 on March 3rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sorry, but if that's the problem, you're approaching it from the completely wrong angle: http://www.goodolddays.net/1_0_2_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_en_0_0_faq_1__0_0/.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:05 on March 3rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
actually it's not that simple, although i didn't explain why i was trying to install the game in the first place so i can understand why you'd think that.

i originally tried just running the application, but i get an error message telling me that i don't have enough extended memory. i tried running install and changing the sound settings, but get no change. the reason i thought that i'd have to put everything on floppies and run it that way is because that's what i had to do with the torrent that i got for m&m III, or at least that's the way i got around it.

i downloaded dosbox the other night, but i haven't had a chance to fool with it yet so i'm not sure if that will solve my problem. i didn't re-post concerning this problem because i felt it should be simple problem that i could work out myself.
Posted at 04:46 on March 3rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
You just wouldn't beleive the number of time we hear that one. Even back in the days, after you would have installed the game to a friend computer, they would still ask "but why is there an 'install.exe' file in tht folder if you installed it already?" only to have to remind them that it works as a setup file instead of an installation file when it's done...

Ugh... :pain:
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 12:43 on February 28th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The games are already installed. Just run them.
-----
Posted at 06:39 on February 28th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
sorry i haven't had a chance to reply for a bit. i tried downloading last night and it worked fine. thanks very much for the help.

if i might be a pain in the ass and ask one more question....i opened up the rar files that i downloaded for each game and tried installing. the setup screen for each indicates that the installation must occur from the "a" drive. i ran into this problem with m&m III and got around it by just copying all of the install files onto floppies and running it from there. each of these files is twice as big, though. does anyone know of a way to get around this, or do i just bite the bullet and buy some more floppies? again, thanks for the help.
Posted at 12:24 on February 26th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Both downloads working here.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 11:09 on February 26th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As promised, the files are online again. Could anyone try?
-----
Posted at 06:37 on February 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Here's an update: I found the problem, it's a bug in the routing / firewall software. That is why it's working fine here from my computers (same LAN, traffic not passing through firewall), but not from the outside. There are two potential workarounds:
-Disable firewall of server. No way I'll do that, because there are several services running on that computer which I don't want to have available to anyone outside.
-Run FTP server at port 21. Bad, because default ports are scanned way more often.

I'll try to find another solution, but if I can't come up with anything until Sunday, I'll go with the second one. Until then, please be patient.
-----
Posted at 14:29 on February 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
M&M IV doesn't download and the connections keeps trying forever, M&M V says that the FTP server is not available.
Posted at 07:48 on February 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sorry, but I can't reproduce the error, so I'm just fishing in the dark here. Any kind of download accelerator which opens more than one connection at a time? Can anyone else try if it's working?
-----
Posted at 06:24 on February 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
thanks for responding so quickly. i tried downloading again last night and got the same message. i click download and wait for a while, then i eventually get the same message. i'm at my home pc, no router or proxy (as far as i'm aware of, heh), zonealarm as the firewall. thanks again for the help.
Posted at 01:58 on February 22nd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I did do some work on the server yesterday, so it might very well be I messed something up. Went through all the setting again and indeed found one which restricted connections to one anonymous user at a time. The error message should have been a different one, though. Anyway, I changed that, so could you try again?

If the problem persists, here's a thought: Do you share your IP with anyone else? That's the case if you're behind a router, for example. Also, if you're using a popular non-transparant proxy, it would seem to the server that you're connecting several times.
-----
Posted at 20:27 on February 21st, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
howdy. i'm new to this forum, and i'm hoping this isn't a stupid/irritating question (i sifted through the old posts and site faq first and couldn't find anything).

after searching for a while, i was ecstatic to find might and magic IV-V on the site. when i try and download, however, i get this message:

421: too many connections (1) from this ip

which seems to indicate that i'm already downloading something. can someone help me with this? i'm using firefox. thanks very much.