The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Game naming scheme - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 36VHs
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 03:43 on March 15th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's for C64. Way better graphics anyway.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:04 on March 14th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
For what platform it is? I have took a look at "Computer Emuzone", which has quite a good collection, and they have copies in english, but not for PC.

http://computeremuzone.com/fichas/l/livingstone.php

Also, I have seen this:

http://computeremuzone.com/abadia/
A remake of "La abadía del crimen" with translation to english. It was famous here, apparently it was a feat when it was done, but I always found it too hard. A good example of the "Video aventura gráfica" (video graphic adventure) genre.
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 08:49 on September 17th, 2009
Posted at 12:19 on March 14th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Great news - I've found the English version. See attachment :D
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 11:07 on March 14th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, Livingstone Supongo haves just a few words, more than playing, it is hard to see anything of it in non Spanish page. But it haves the problem of the title, it was pusblished outside as "Livingstone, I Presume", but it seems to be a rare version and the game is much more known by it's original title than the english one.
Posted at 10:21 on March 14th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Thanks, I added the accent grave and changed the capitalization.

I do see your point, and there indeed would have been alternate ways to go. The most elaborate and exact one would be making individual game entries for each game title. The single reason I didn't is that it would have created lots of data overhead (individual reviews for each language version aren't necessary, because it's still the same game, and so it would have resulted in reviews being copied to several entries). Also, individual screenshots of every language version would be necessary, which would be interesting for sure, but also lots of work - especially considering that my skills in most languages of the world are minimal which slows down my progress in these games somehow...

Why not just only English titles on the English site and German titles on the German site? Would probably be possible, too. However, especially over the last year, I've always tried to put every language version of a game I could find online. The entry for Cruise for a Corpse does have a download of the French version (along with the ones in English, German and Spanish). So Crosière... is right there. And in many ways, I'm a fan of the 'original version is best and most important' idea, so that's the one with priority over the others listed under the same entry.

Searching isn't really a big issue, because as I said, if you enter 'settlers' as the game's name, it'll turn up, no matter what the 'original title' field says. It might be a little confusing that it turns up with that different title on the list of the results, but I'm sure I can think of something (e.g. listing alternate names below the main title on that list as well).

It is, in the end, again a question what you're looking for. If getting the games is top priority, I absolutely agree that you wouldn't look at game entries titled in languages you don't speak. On the other hand, if you want to be informed about games, that's not a big issue. For example, I really enjoyed Wandrell's Livingstone Supongo review, although I'll probably never be able to play the game myself because of the language barrier.

It somehow reminds me of a discussion I had with Adhoc five years ago. He asked me if he should translate his reviews of German games into English at all. My answer: Sure, information about German games in any other language than German is hard enough to find already. Let's do something about that and spread the word!
-----
Posted at 01:08 on March 14th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Croisiere Pour Un Cadavre

You got it right, tough if you can it should be "Croisière pour un cadavre" instead.

Edit: I'd also want to point out that if you want uniformity, every title should be English. If I'm looking for a French game, for example, I'll look at a French site. If I am looking for a German game, I'll look at a German site.

Since your site sport both version (German and English), I'd say that the English version should have only English names and the German version should have only German names. Otherwise you're up for a complete mess in all sides of the question.

I for one would never search Stunts as 4D Sports Driving, even tough I know that second name. Just like I would never search The Settlers as whatever you written up there. I really don't care if the real name is German, looking at a game with a German title will make me think the game IS german and I won't want to bother having to translate everything I read (albeit there is very little to read in The Settlers. There is still the menu tough).

Edited by Eagle of Fire at 09:12 on March, 14th 2006
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 10:08 on March 13th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Clue, Kult, Legend: True, fixed and added.

Touche: Already added that last night... ;)

Indiana Jones: Only official titles, no informal translations. These two kept their English titles here in Germany, for example.

Quote:
By the way, the drawn in the front of the box of the second game is drawn by a french comic autor called Caza.
Put it into the comment area - using it for additional information is just what it's intended for :)
-----
Posted at 07:45 on March 13th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I have noticed a mistake, in "Der Clou!" you have listed the english name as "The Clou!" instead of "The Clue!".

There are also a pair of games with a secondary name not listed:
Legend (Four Crystals of Trazere)
Kult (Chamber of The Sci-Mutant Priestess)

By the way, the drawn in the front of the box of the second game is drawn by a french comic autor called Caza. Which probably nowadays, with the japanese comics being the fashion, is not too known.

Also, there are some with translations in the titles of a few games.

Touchè has the subtitle translated here as "Las aventuras del quinto mosquetero"

I'm not sure if the Indiana Jones titles where translated or I'm mistaking it with the film, as nowadays I can't find a front box of my country and the in-game title is rarely changed.

If you think it's better listing the translated name also it would be:
"La última cruzada" for "The Last Crusade"
"El destino de la Atlántida" for "The Fate of Atlantis"
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 08:47 on September 17th, 2009
Posted at 00:33 on March 13th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Of course, a rudimentary level of English is required to use this site, but it might just be that people only know their 'local' title for a game. The tradition of changing titles is more common for movies (decades old), and it happens to me all the time there that I only know a German title which doesn't necessarily have to do anything with the original one. Searching on IMDB can get very tricky then, because although they try, their alternate title database is far from complete.

So... I added those two titles. Keep it coming!

Edited by Mr Creosote at 08:33 on March, 13th 2006
-----
Posted at 15:34 on March 12th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The additional titles are the ones of the translated versions? "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes", for example, here was called "Los archivos secretos de Sherlock Holmes" (which changed "lost" for "secret"), but I don't know how many would search for a non english or german title in a webpage that is meant for those two languages.

Also, Stunts have the alternative name of "4D Sports: Driving" which is the one for which I knew it.

Edited by Wandrell at 23:37 on March, 12th 2006
Posted at 12:06 on March 12th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I knew the day'd come when I'd eventually have to tackle the problem of dealing with alternate names for games. Although it wasn't very common to rename games for each language in the days TGOD is usually covering, there are examples where the companies couldn't resist. This is the database maintainer's nightmare, because it means people searching for Serf City or The Settlers for example won't find anything if the game is listed as Die Siedler - although it's all the same game.

So tonight, I implemented the following policy: Every game entry should be listed with its original title, no matter whether that is the version the reviewer actually played or not. Additional titles will be listed as secondary ones. When a visitor searches for a game title, the given keyword will be compared to all titles listed in the database (making Die Siedler turn up when searching for Settlers).

This might lead to some strange looking game entries, of course. For example, we now have Croisiere Pour Un Cadavre (I hope I spelled that right) instead of Cruise for a Corpse in spite of the latter title being known to most of the world and the former probably even being unidentifyable to some. It's the only way it makes sense, though, in my opinion.

I've briefly gone over the game list to add and correct a few titles, but I doubt I've caught each which needs work. So if you spot anything, just let me know.
-----