The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Case Of The Cautious Condor - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: JFdn!
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 06:20 on March 30th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Ok..well lets say I will try Tuss method first. ;-)

And then your method.

At least I have stuff to work with for a while
now.

Yes I have read the Underdogs thread.

On that subject:

After reading Wiki, common sense tells me that....problem with credit card means problem with expired cards means....that he (or she?) is simply waiting for April to start, or perhaps
awaiting a new credit card (2 weeks wait). Or there is a deal that functions by the month.

I doubt it's going down for simple lack of motivation. There is so much work done on that site. A lot of great essays too (not too diminush the fantastic reviews on that very site).

Cheers
Posted at 01:12 on March 30th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, very slowly and step-by-step:

First of all, to explain about resuming downloads. It won't work, you're right. Not that there's anything the slightest bit wrong with resuming downloads. If anything, it probably saves bandwidth (and thus costs), because people don't have to start over with cut-off downloads again. However, the reason why most sites block this function is that resuming a downloads is technically the same thing as linking to a file from outside the site, and allowing that is something which nobody can afford anymore in these days. If you want to know more details, check out the thread about HOTUD in Vox Pops in which I've explained a little more about this problem. So, sorry, but there's no way to do it.

About loading the game. You already got most of it: Since it is not a disk image (ADF), you can't use the regular methods which have been told to you about running games. The way you describe is just good for games which come on and run from floppy disks.

This game originally booted directly when the CD was inserted into a CDTV. However, since almost nobody out there owns such hardware, it has been modified to run from harddrives and be started from within the regular Amiga OS. So it runs on pretty much every Amiga out there. Same for emulators: CDTV emulation is still in its infancy compared to emulation of 'regular' Amigas. Thus this patched version.

Now, you already got WinUAE which is the right emulator for the job. It only emulates the hardware, though. What I recommend is this: Get regular Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 (comes with five disks, so five ADF files which you can use exactly the way you already know about) and run the emulator with the WB3.1 Install disk. In addition, set up a directory on your real harddisk as 'virtual hd' within the emulator. This is where Workbench will install itself then, just follow the screen instructions. It's all mouse-driven and accompanied by very clear instructions. When installation of Workbench is finished, quit the emulator. Use your host OS to copy the directory of the game to somewhere below the root of the virtual hd you set up for the Amiga emulator. It's important that you do this after installing Workbench. Then run the emulator again (the virtual hd still has to be set up, but no ADF files chosen). It should boot into Workbench. Then run the game from there.

That way, you get a fully featured Amiga desktop in addition to be able to run the game. The advantage: You can use the same setup to run other games as well, without fiddling with thousands of ADF files.

Alternatively, you can try the route Tuss suggested. It's been a few years since I last played the game, so I'm not if the contents of the archive are bootable, but it could work if you skip all the above, mount the contents of the archive as a virtual CD (in Windows) and then tell WinUAE to boot that CD. No guarantees for that method, though.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 20:41 on March 29th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
When he talks about OS, I assume he is talking about using an OS within the emulator. Have you tried burning the game to a CD or mounting it inside a virtual drive?
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 18:41 on March 29th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Or do you mean that I got to...somehow, transform
the whole condor folder into one image file so that the emulator can understand it ?
Posted at 18:26 on March 29th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
The point was that I couldnt enter my password
so I resuscribed until I found out that the password was actually a code that you sent.

That might sound dumb to not have figured you were sending one but...the email
went into the SPAM ;-P box so I thought "hmm...they're not sending anything..
maybe Im just already subcribed".. Remember in the good old days how it was that easy to enter a forum ?

By the way, my second nick Resume was me going to ask if there is any way to resume a file when it cuts down on this site, but for some reason
the "resume" option is seen as evil by many
many download sites. I'll get high speed within a year so I'll just be patient.

Ok...I am not sure what you mean by choosing any file in archive. I only chose condor.exe, or loader.bat.. lol...I dont just select any file at random?

My OS is XP and I use an Emulator (Winuae), and from what I read anywhere I was told Winmuae WITH Kikstart WIT an extra rom in some cases (CDTV) was enough to play an ADF file (which is true, they all mostly work).

Where I am getting a problem is that Condor is the first ever amiga game I get that is not adf but executable. Since it was first out on cdtv I
was looking for a cdtv rom. It wont work.

Do you mean that, above the emulator, I got to install a whole amiga OS ?? (which I suppose is Workbench). Im confused, I thought emulators were emulating OS.

Or is it simply that Condor is a PC dos version ?
That would make sense, but dosbox doesnt seem to respond to it and this site mentions clearly that it is the amiga version.

If there is any sugggestion of a better emulator, or what is it I dont understand
about installing amiga os. It sounds way more complicated than I thought.

Thanks
Posted at 01:39 on March 29th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Err... is there any particular point to these different accounts? Anyway, as I said, this is not a disk image, so just choosing any file from the archive as one won't result in anything. Also, Kickstark isn't Workbench. From what you're writing, it sounds as if you haven't even installed an OS, so how do you expect proper harddrive access to work?
-----
Posted at 20:08 on March 28th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Well, thank you very much, but...

I still have problems. ;_-(

I get "Software Failure...Guru Meditation" and a number filled with many 0s.

I open Winuae with ROM Kickstart (Workbench if you will) 1.3, than select NTSC in the display
mode, than open the disk file "Condor.exe"
which is in directory C:condor and press start.

After a while I get the Failure page and kickstarts ask me to to retry or cancel (for a reset). Reset always bring me the reddish Software Failure, and I dont know if it is the workbench rom that is failing or the exe file.

I tried opening Loader instead of Condor.exe but it seems to freeze on gray. I dream for a pc version !

Condor won the first ever cd-rom game prize
(that was before it was officially released,
so I guess it was a special technological award).

I think it's more important historically than
being mentioned. They (Laura Buddine and crew)
practically invented this technology. Here:

http://www.iacta.com/experience.htm

Thanks,

Sultitan
Posted at 01:40 on March 28th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Most of the answers can already be found in the review. The game is patched to run either from a harddrive or a CD, using normal (non-CDTV) Kickstarts. So there are these two options: put it on your harddrive and run it from Workbench or burn it on a CD (mounting a directory as CD will probably work, too, but I haven't tried that). ADF files are floppy disk images, so there's no relation here (this is obviously a CD game).
-----
Posted at 22:16 on March 27th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I have noooooooo idea how to play this game !

Is it for pc or cdtv ?

I have Winuae but can't figure how to configure it.
(I do have a cdtv rom, maybe it s not functioning).

When I try with VDM it says that the program takes too much memory.

Dosbox doesnt lead to much either.

I really really really want to play this game.

Thank you

EDIT:
Oops....forgot to add that I dont see any ADF file. In fact I know nothing about CDTV. What file should Winuae open, etc...

Edited by Sultitan at 06:18 on March, 28th 2006