The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Noctropolis Anomaly - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: wUW1E
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:30 on September 9th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Enjoy :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 19:21 on September 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
It worked perfectly finally I can play the CD's that i bought so long ago, much appreciated.
Chris
Posted at 10:38 on September 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
thank you very much, I will make a clean CD copy and proceed from there, Much appreciated. and thanks again.
Posted at 09:55 on September 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, I'll try to explain this a little more verbose in order to give you a chance to understand what's wrong with what you did as opposed to simply telling you the steps to take.

This game is a CD game. So imagine you actually had it on a CD. To install it, you would insert the CD into your drive, run the installer. It would ask you where to install the game to. What would you choose:
the CD or your HD? Hint: Can you write to a CD? No, so you'd choose your HD. The installer would then copy a few files to the location you specified and you could run the game from there.

In this specific case, you told Dosbox to treat C:DARK as a virtual CD drive. It acts just like a real one would. So what you did was to tell the game to install to a CD which is bound to fail for the reasons stated above.

You probably read this thread. The clean solution is there indeed, however, there's also a lot of ugly background noise with with ugly hacks and technical idiocy going on there. Read what Wandrell suggested in his post from June 3rd. This is the only way to do a clean installation and the best way to get the game running.

If you have more problems, let me know and provide an error description.
-----
Posted at 08:47 on September 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I am honored by the fast reply, thank you.

It contains the conttents of the game I made a directory called DARK on my C drive and copied all the files of the game there first rather than from a CD, plus the installations that it made in a directory the game install created called Noctrop I think it is called (I am away at work)...so can't check that name. there is a RUNDARK and DARK Exe both I think, as I remember. I was never totally sure I found the config file, itself, tho I tried opening several of the INSTALL files with Notepad, because I read that someone got it working by copying the config file from the Noctrop file into the Dark directory and ran it from there using DOSBOX, which is what I did, tho as I said, I am not at all sure I got the config file corrently places, I copied both the INSTALL files from the Noctrop file into the main DARK directory and ran the game from DOSBOX using the DARK file i believe. I got the sound running from the start of the intro but it went on and off a few times and things seem running VERY slowly as I posted before. And that strange part where the screen starts dark, and as I sweep it with my mouse, each mouse path clears the image ....is that part of the game? thanks again for the great great site and quick reply. Much appreciated. I know a bit about setting things up but just started using DOSBOX last week with my collection of older games and am still in the learning phase. :)

I am an older guy who came to commputing about 10 years ago, and have learned by doing.

Edited by ChrisG at 16:49 on September, 08th 2006
Posted at 02:28 on September 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What does the C:DARK directory on your real hd (not the virtual drive in Dosbox) contain? The contents of the CD?
-----
Posted at 20:32 on September 7th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hello and first of all, thanks for the great site and resources. Wonderful games.

I had not tried Noctropolis before and am eager to continue, I got it running with DOSBOX, however,it appears to run very slowly ...indeed,
when each scene opens also it is black except for a bar at the bottom, and as i move my mouse the path of the mouse clears the screen for the image, after that, I can activate the pyramid with the options and get things to happen, I tried F12 to speed up the cycles but no joy, it seems very very sluggish. Do i need to edit the cfg somehow? This game looks great and I am hopeful. I frist tried using De Fend, the front end for DOSBox but it would not start the game, I had to use the

mount c c:dark -t cdrom
c:
dark

Commands to run it....and had to fumble the installs a bit, first installing to NOCTROP in the DARK folder, and then just running the install file in DARK, and that seemed to work, as I got the install program and was able to set SB 16, for music and Midi.....anyone have any suggestions, i would be most grateful, but again
thanks for this great site. much appreciated. :)