The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - DOS problems, part deux - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: fkq5Y
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:39 on October 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Anyway, the most viable solution I found so far was to install a small DR-DOS utility for recognizing Extended FAT32 partitions. While the DOS that ships with Win98SE is supposed to do it, it still has problems with 20+ GB drives.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 00:48 on October 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
You mean PATH I presume?

Edited by Breaker at 15:29 on October, 21st 2002
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 15:02 on October 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This is probably not your problem, but if it's not done you should do it;

Add in your autoexec.bat file

Edited by Eagle of Fire at 01:18 on October, 21st 2002
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 08:46 on October 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yup, that's worth a try. I'll see whether that works... However, the command prompt works fine on other Win98 machines, so I don't know what's wrong with this one...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 08:42 on October 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
What if you create a boot disk for dos 6, and then try and run the game from your harddisk? Probably won't work since you are using FAT32, but worth a try?
-----
Posted at 13:49 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Also not possible ;). Before I installed anything, I re-installed the whole hard drive, so it came as clean as from a factory...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 13:11 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
You're right, I missed that. In that case, I'd be inclined to say all that partitioning and de-partitioning of the hard drive has screwed up your system somewhat :(.
-----
C&apos;est pas la chute qu&apos;importe -- c&apos;est l&apos;atterrissage
Posted at 13:05 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, the DOS I'm using is the "Command prompt only". Version 7 was never released as a stand-alone; it's only bundled with Win9x, and Windows reffers to it as the "Command prompt".
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 12:49 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I'm not entirely sure, but I think your problem might be with DOS itself (or, at lest, its coexistance with Win98). I'm using Windows 98 as well and I can run Colonization just fine in all three possible ways: straight from the Windows GUI, from a DOS box, and after a "command-line only" boot.

Try getting rid of DOS (or maybe excluding C:DOS from your path statement, might be enough) and see what happens.

Edited by Dizzy at 20:50 on October, 17th 2002
-----
C&apos;est pas la chute qu&apos;importe -- c&apos;est l&apos;atterrissage
Posted at 12:29 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
That's what I thought, but the DOS version in question is DOS 7.0, which is supposed to recognize FAT 32. I'm really confused by the fact that the games work in a DOS box in Windows, though...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 12:26 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but could it be that the programs were expecting FAT instead of FAT32?
-----
Posted at 07:11 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm getting a little frustrated with the whole partition thing. Right now, I'm a little too busy to get the computer out of commission for a day or two again, so I decided to stick with Win98SE and simply boot in "Command Prompt only" whenever I started the PC and manually enable mouse, CD-ROM, etc...

When I did it the first time, however, a strange thing happened. The DOS behaves almost as if I ran it on a NTFS partition (it's a FAT32 partition, though). Whenever I try to run programs that try to access another executable files, the computer freezes up. For example, Colonization starts with "colonize.bat", which automatically accesses the intro program and then the main program. Write to disk (such as saving games) doesn't work, either. Both work just fine in a DOS box in Win98.

Any ideas what may be causing it and how to solve the problem?
-----
NetDanzr<br />