The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Can't email Mr. Creosote + trouble with guest-login - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 9UBxL
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 03:35 on June 26th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Using "guest[number]" as a default guest login name is common to almost any forum that allows guest posting, few (if any) such forums have any problems with confusion because of the fact that people who don't even bother to enter a nick rarely come back. My idea isn't to force the guest[number] nick on everyone, simply to provide it as a default option. People who aren't too lazy to spend 2.4 seconds typing a nick could still replace the guest[number] nick with "bob smith" or whatever.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 14:13 on June 25th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I edited the sentence to include the information that guests can just enter any name, and I also fixed the bug which prevented the error message which should have been displayed if the username field has been left blank to be shown.

I'm not so sure about just assigning a random name. This'll lead to confusion sooner or later.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 14:15 on June 25th, 2007
Posted at 07:30 on June 25th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Maybe make the forum auto-fill the name blank with "guest[random number]"?
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 07:22 on June 25th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, I'll try to make this a little clearer on the form :)
-----
Posted at 04:46 on June 25th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Seems to be working now :) The problem really was I didn't know you have to invent a user name instead of typing in "guest".
Posted at 18:40 on June 24th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Mail form should be fixed. I just tested the new version with the address you used for registration in the forum, and it was accepted. The problem was that I didn't remember the part in front of the '@' can contain dots.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 07:19 on June 25th, 2007
Posted at 18:20 on June 24th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I tried the address you registered with on the site's contact form myself, and it's indeed rejected. This is a bug, I'll try to fix it tonight - thanks for letting me know.

Although as you can see, I can't reproduce the problem you had with posting as a guest. Of course, you need to enter a name which nobody has registered yet and the password. The check isn't very picky, though, as you can see, too ('Mr. Creosote' is accepted, because my username is 'Mr Creosote'). 'Guest' won't work, because somebody registered that name. 'cloudrunner' would have been fine before your registration (now that you've registered it, guests can't use it anymore, of course). Could you try it again and quote the error message in case it occurs again?

Oh, and I took the liberty to split your other message off to its own thread in the German forum :)
-----
Posted at 18:13 on June 24th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Test to post as a guest...
Posted at 16:42 on June 24th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Hello everybody!

I've tried to send Mr. Creosote an e-mail three times now, using different adresses. But every time there was a message which said that the adress seemed to be incorrect. In addition, the guest-login does not seem to work either: No matter whether I only type in the guest-password or additionaly the username "guest" (or "Guest"), I could not even reply to topics already existing. So I had to register although I´ll probably use this forum very seldom.
As I don't now how long it takes to fix this problem, I'll post my mesage here, if you don't mind. :)
And I hope I didn't mix up "New Topic" with "New Poll".

[The rest of the original post has been moved here: http://www.goodolddays.net/forum/topic.php?id=973 -Mr Creosote]
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 07:19 on June 25th, 2007