The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Downtime - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: $ylC3
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 20:43 on July 21st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Just wanted to say sorry for today's downtime. First time in years since we've been gone for so long (several hours straight). Some of you might even still remember the times when the site's server crashed daily - I guess it has improved a little since then ;)

What caused today's problems was my own carelessness. As you know, I'm not running my own dedicated server anymore, but we're dependant on a shared hosting account. Still, I customized my own server settings when the site was moved here. During that process, I left most of the settings untouched, though. Now the host has upgraded some server modules and that made some of the old path definitions invalid.

That wrong path caused an entry into the error log of the site on every call, i.e. every time someone viewed any page. You can imagine how quickly the log grows this way. Today, it finally breached the 2GB limit. 2GB is the file size limit of the file system used on the server machine, so nothing could be written to the log anymore. That caused the Internal Server Error you might have seen.

Needless to say I've not only deleted the bloated log now, but I've also fixed the faulty path definition, so it shouldn't happen again - at least not in the near future ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!