The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Reviewed Games - Comments / Discussion - Nether Earth (1987)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Nether Earth (1987)

Posted at 12:00 on August 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Real-time strategies are one of the most popular genres these days, thanks to the addictive combination of resource gathering, unit building and tactical combat. However, very few people know that the beginnings of RTS gaming lie with the Spectrum. You may have heard of Herzog Zwei, a Sega Genesis game, which all Dune 2 bashers use with great pleasure to point out that the "first" RTS was not Dune 2. Herzog Zwei hit the shelves in 1989, three years before Dune 2. However, what most people don't know is that the first true RTS game came two years earlier, in 1987, on Spectrum. Its name was Nether Earth (a quick note: The Ancient Art of War by the Murry brothers was released in 1984, but while it featured real-time tactical combat, it lacked all the other aspects of RTS gaming).

Read more...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 13:00 on August 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That game even got me interested ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:00 on August 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I have searched and searched for this game, all because I remembered it as being called 'Cursed Earth'.

This game rules, its never been beaten yet!
Posted at 00:14 on February 18th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I've long believed that the first Herzog on the MSX was the real godfather of the RTS genre, but now I've realized that it was actually a total rip-off of Nether Earth. Long live the Speccy!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll