Game:

The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Search old game "Elysium"
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

Search old game "Elysium"

Posted at 16:46 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi,i try to find the 10 year old PC game Elysium. It was published by Magic Bytes. It was a strategy game in the ancient rome. Where can i find it in german or english?
Posted at 17:05 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I have the German Amiga version. As for "PC".... is it even possible to play games on a typewriter? Strange times.... :confused:
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:30 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
What are you meaning?
Posted at 15:50 on January 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What part didn't you understand?
-----
Posted at 18:05 on January 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Sorry ich nehm an du sprichst deutsch. Mein Englisch ist nicht so gut... Du hast also die Amiga Version... Was meintst du mit der Schreibmachine?
Posted at 20:30 on January 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
What he means about the computer being a typewriter, is, he thinks PCs were built as buisness machines, and not to play games on, but the Amiga was.

Basically, it means he is drunk. :evil:

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 02:20 on January 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Thanks! A couple of years ago i was very proud because i was the happy owner (terrible english?) of an Amiga 500... :D whith a second floppy drive and a real monitor... But today the PC ist usable for games too... But there are not many good games...
Posted at 05:17 on January 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Tuss: From what should I be drunk? You should know I don't take any drugs :P

Fabian: You said it yourself:
Quote:
But there are not many good games...
And all those good games are conversions from other systems.

Anyway, can't help you out further. If you're interested in the Amiga version, I can send it to you. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until someone else finds a PC version - if at all.
-----
Posted at 12:40 on January 3rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
And all those good games are conversions from other systems.
Couldn't agree less... one of my favorite games ever (maybe because it was my very first game I ever played or because I continually kicked my brothers arse in it:)) was a game called kong... It was a game written for good old Q-Basic and I can hardly believe that that's a conversion... I'm not saying the idea wasn't stolen from another game on a different platform but the game sure isn't a conversion :P This all happened way back in the mid to late eighties on my dad's supercomp (a 286 mith 10 Meg HD and a turbo button :o)...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 14:18 on January 3rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I'm not saying the idea wasn't stolen from another game on a different platform
There - you answered it yourself.
-----
Posted at 20:40 on January 3rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
ah yes, but you were talking about conversions not plagiarism (sp?) :P and the idea behind kong is simple geometry so it's as old as math itself basicly :)
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 01:31 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I have no idea if the idea is stolen and from what platform it originally came; I can think of at least one very similar game, Tank Wars. But I'm pretty sure the game Pada1 means is actually called 'Gorilla'. It was one of the free games that came with MS-DOS 6.2, along with Nibbles (something like the Snake game on those dreaded Nokia cellphones).
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 05:18 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Poor plagiarism (there are way better executions of the same idea) is even worse than a conversion. I bet you only 'like' it because you know it from your own childhood and out of objective thinking! Enough said.
-----
Posted at 10:09 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Mr Creosote:(there are way better executions of the same idea)
Such as?

I'll admit the game is totally crappy in terms of technology and interface, but it sure was - and probably still is - good fun, I'll find out as soon as I find my old DOS install disks...
-----
Posted at 10:39 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Artillery Duel on the C64 and of course (even though it's newer, it deserves to be mentioned) Worms - Director's Cut on the Amiga.
-----
Posted at 11:23 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Creo:
Quote:
Posted by Pada1 at at 20:40 on January, 3rd 2003
...one of my favorite games ever (maybe because it was my very first game I ever played or because I continually kicked my brothers arse in it)...

Quote:
Posted at 13:18 on January, 4th 2003
...I bet you only 'like' it because you know it from your own childhood...

Do you even read what I say? :P
Quote:
and out of objective thinking!
K, lost me there... What do you mean? If what I think you're saying is right, it makes no sense whatsoever because then you would be claiming that it is possible to objectivly like something which you can't because to like something is inherently subjective :bemused:
-----
Posted at 11:40 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Add a 'not' to the second quote and you'll get what I mean. You're just completely wrong (as usual...) about your definition of 'liking' something. Objective measures do play a huge part there! That also answers your first question: you never stated it is only because of nostalgia, so I claimed it is. That is something significantly stronger than just saying you're playing it because of nostalgia (leaving the opportunity open that there might be other reasons).
-----
Posted at 11:46 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Examples: taste in colours, or food, or partners... what does that have to do with objectivity? And it has everything to do with 'liking'.
-----
Posted at 11:50 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
k, with the 'not' insterted, it does make sense (somewhat :P)
Quote:
You're just completely wrong (as usual...) about your definition of 'liking' something. Objective measures do play a huge part there
Sorry Creo, but that is just nonsense... to like something is a sentiment and thus inherently subjective... There is no objective measurement by which you can judge an individual feeling of liking... you can derive a likability from a product through stats and demographics and such but there is no objective reason why I like something because then that reason would have to apply on everybody (in other words: everybody should have to like that specific factor in order for it to be called objective seeing as no two people can like something subjectivly for exactly the same reasons)
Quote:
That is something significantly stronger than just saying you're playing it because of nostalgia
where did I claim I still played it? I nolonger have Q-basic and my dos-disks are corrupt as hell so... I merely stated that it is one of my favorite games ever (because of my subjective reasons) :P
-----
Posted at 11:59 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Alright, so what are you two doing here then? If there are no objective measurements for 'quality', why talk about games? Why write reviews? Why describe games? It's all subjective anyway, isn't it?

The problem in your arguments is that you're assuming I'm claiming it is all only objective. Never said that. An overall decision about 'liking' something or not will always be subjective for the most part, but the reasons why you like or dislike something are always based on facts, statistics or even standards you set yourself! If you can't give reasons why you like something, you're very poor people...
-----
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll