The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - More bad game reviews....
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

More bad game reviews....

Posted at 13:08 on January 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Some excerpts I found on various sites:

Monkey Island: "in this game the bad guy is the evil zombie pirate LeChuck" (he's a ghost, not a zombie)

Monkey Island 2: "The pixels are smaller which is great, what this means is the resolution is bigger." (last time I checked, both Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 used 320x200 resolution)

Police Quest: "The Police Quest series is one of the all time sierra greats. They are all true classics, by any definition." (and what if I define 'true classic' as being a potatoe?)

Police Quest (another review): "And as soon as you read a walkthrough you understand the game completely! The game is very realistic, and you can write down all sorts of stuff, like notes, l-o-n-g speaches and if you are bored you could always interrupt the court room!" (yeah..... we have a real expert here who really got into the game)

Little Big Adventure: "The best feature in the game is that you can change mode like athletic mode, normal mode, aggressive mode etc." (that's the end of the review, and these 'modes' also haven't been explained before...)

Whenever I read something like this I wonder whether these people have actually played the games. Checking these things like screen resolution takes a few seconds to check, all you need is two screenshots! :pain:
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 20:31 on January 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I can't beleive some of those things.
As soon as you read a walkthrough??? what happened to actually playing the game.
LBA, the 'modes' are just a feature nothing special.

The only thing right on those reviews is that Police Quest is a true classic but not by any definition.
But I have seen some classic potatoes Mr. C:P
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 05:36 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Now come on, Mr Creosote, cut them some slack. I remember my reviews weren't much better when I wrote them while intoxicated ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 06:20 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, the fact that the sites where the excerpts are from actually have "reviews" puts them above average, no matter how bad the texts are. :tongue:
Posted at 07:19 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 14:20 on January, 22nd 2003:

Well, the fact that the sites where the excerpts are from actually have "reviews" puts them above average, no matter how bad the texts are. :tongue:
Are you sure? No reviews at least can't do any damage ;)
-----
Posted at 18:57 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Are you sure? I mean, consider the following: you're a young surfer who is just getting into Ye old Games from Ages Past and decide to try a few roms you haven't played before... You find a site which offers a lot of roms but no reviews, only the zip-file. You look around for a while, looking for one that might look interesting and then you see one which tickles your fancy: Mysterious and all the way down the list. You decide to click, start your emu and before you know it, All your base are belong to them... :bemused:
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 18:59 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hmm..... last time you started talking about "Roms" without any obvious connection to the topic, you weren't exactly sober..... :P
-----
Posted at 19:03 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I can assure you, I am sober now (just a bit freaked 'cause of the exams)... When I use the word Roms, I mean each non-pc console-game... As far as I know, that is what a rom is (haven't taken the time yet to see what roms really are, just out of personal experience I have found that if you type roms in google, you often find a lot of games for sega/nintendo/C64/... Hence my belief that roms are non-pc ABgames) You are of course always welcome to set me straight and learn me something new ;)
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 03:50 on January 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
You can get Playstation roms and nintendo 64 roms. So shouldn't you say Roms are games for a particular system converted so that with the help of another tool (an emulator) one can play said games on another gaming system usually a PC
-----
Posted at 04:23 on January 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
"ROM" = "Read Only Memory". Nothing more, nothing less. So it is the name of any part of memory you can't write to (by conventional means) - the 'opposite' of RAM (Random Access Memory). Every computer has both ROM and RAM (the BIOS of a PC resides in the ROM for example, just like the Kickstart on the Amiga, the TOS on the Atari ST or even a whole 'office suite' on the Plus/4).

The term ROM is also used for images of console games, that you pointed out correctly. The name fits because the definition applies: you cannot write to these images, just like you can't write to the modules a SNES used or the CDs of newer consoles.
Calling images of computer games "ROMs" is completely wrong though! You can write on these via emulators (you can save games, copy virtual disks, save your own stuff on them), just like you can write on the original disks/tapes used by the real system. That is why the correct term for 'games for emulators of computers' is disk images.
-----
Posted at 05:57 on January 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Thamks Creo, now at least I know :) I'll try and use the correct terminology in the future... :idea:
-----
Posted at 06:20 on January 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So, to get back on topic, to whom was your "are you sure" directed? :confused:
-----
Posted at 22:53 on January 26th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
So, sorry if I read it wrong, but are you saying that you don't like Police Quest? I love that game...
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 07:25 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Whilst many think of Police Quest as a classic, myself included. Don't even get Mr. C started or you will be here many lifeitmes hearing his complaints :P
-----
Posted at 07:27 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Actually, I didn't say anything about the quality of Police Quest in this thread, I only pointed out an inconsistency in the writing of someone else. If you're interested in my personal view on Police Quest though, you can of course read it: http://www.goodolddays.net/amiga/games.php?query=id&id=37 - enjoy :P
-----
Posted at 09:46 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
:( I just lost all respect I once had for you (and there was very little of that to begin with)....
-----
Posted at 10:38 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I just lost all respect I once had for you (and there was very little of that to begin with)....

Because he makes a very well constructed argument against Police Quest? (One I agree with very much). That's a sad reason for such a statement. In fact, I could not comprehend such a thing.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 11:55 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
He does make an argument against Police Quest I. I even agree with that argument. Can't say it's well-constructed, though :cunning:
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 12:04 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Da_Goat at 17:46 on January, 27th 2003:

:( I just lost all respect I once had for you (and there was very little of that to begin with)....
So you base your 'respect' for someone on his or her opinion and if it matches your own? Sorry, but that is an incredibly stupid stance.

I absolutely agree that the review is not very well structured by the way, because it's just a loosely connected series of example - no offense taken there :P

Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:07 on January, 27th 2003
-----
Posted at 12:53 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
yep
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll