Game:

The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Reviewed Games - Comments / Discussion - Civilization (1991)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Civilization (1991)

Posted at 12:00 on February 4th, 2001 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Quote:
"Civilization" is definitely one of Sid Meier's masterpieces and surely one of the most famous games of all times. The game is far too complex to be reviewed in its entirety. For further explanations look into the very extensive help files and the Civilopedia which come with the game.

Read more...
Posted at 12:00 on June 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Without any doubt, Civilization is the greatest and most addictive game that ever graced a computer screen. Designed by Sid Meier, who at that time was already a household name among gamers, the game introduced the world to a new level of empire management: from settling whole continents, through researching new technologies, to building military units, city improvements and even wonders of the world. The game has spawned several sequels and copies, out of which only a single one (Alpha Centauri) comes close in the terms of gameplay and overall fun. Civilization has never left my hard drive, and probably never will, remaining the main reason why I still keep MS-DOS on a separate partition.

Read more...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 15:50 on October 9th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Civilization war eines der ersten PC-Spiele die ich meistern durfte. Das gründen der Städte und das Forschen nach neuen Technologien hat in mir die Abenteuerlust geweckt. Noch heute ist es ein sehr gutes Spiel. Es ist nicht zu kompliziert und dennoch hat man viele Möglichkeiten ein Spiel zu gewinnen.
Posted at 03:01 on November 4th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Ah, yes, that feeling of "just one more turn" until I was surprised by the sun rising in the east, and I had to be up in a couple of hours for school. It had a few humor elements built in, which were thankfully phased out in the sequels. My favorite is still II, though.
Posted at 06:42 on June 17th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
The Civilization series has an interesting history, having gotten progressively better (minus 5), but progressively more and more abstracted. Whereas Civ6, possibly the best in terms of gameplay, is completely abstracted from the real history - *just* a very fun board game - the original Sid Meier's Civilization contains what is probably the most realistic simulation of all of human history that you could fit in a 1991 DOS PC with 640K of RAM. This is especially helped with the excellent manual, in the classic MicroProse style, which goes into extensive historical detail, explaining how the things you're doing in the game represent the *real* things that really went on in history. Reading that manual, and playing this game, it truly feels like you're experiencing history. It also contains more simulationist elements that later games in the series, partially because of a lack of balance. It is a fun experience to start out on a tiny island, unable to leave, and suddenly have another nation show up with vastly superior technology.

Read more...
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll