The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Lucasart's remake of MI
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Lucasart's remake of MI

Posted at 09:36 on June 2nd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
It seems they are preparing a remake of Monkey Island to live on past glories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb_FaGcmTPM

It's just me or it loses charm? Mostly the voices, but the graphics look a bit amateurish, with too much filtering.
Posted at 09:51 on June 2nd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Heh, funny, now we have two threads about this (T-Pow and me talked about this in the German forum) ;)

I'm still at work, so I only watched the trailer without sound so far. Hard to make out the graphics really in such a low resolution. Guybrush's hair looks like a hat (or a very bad wig), though.

What I'm worried about in addition is the controls. They seem to be very console-ish. And I hate that they seem to be dumbing the game down with a new hint system (you can spot Guybrush telling the player what to do to get out of the water after Fester throws him in in the trailer).

It's still good news that they seem to be interested in their own past again, though. For quite a few years, Lucas Arts have been systematically removing all traces of their non Star Wars games from public view.

So far, I don't exactly see the point on the whole. The game is great as it is - why produce yet another version when there are already so many out there? I'm not sure I'll buy this one. Depends on the price.

On a sidenote, here are some thoughts about Monkey Island from Ron Gilbert: http://grumpygamer.com/8280380.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:22 on June 2nd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The consolish controls are not a suprise. Surely they will want to sell it through those small games buying things that consoles have now.

As for the voices. They are overacting. It's like the characters thought "We are in a funny game, we should talk silly". Unlike for example Lucasarts' Sam & Max talkie version, where they are talking totally serious, no matter how absurd or mad is what they are saying.

Now I look at it... green A button, red B button. That's for XboX. They will try to take advantage of this latest fashion of buying games to download.
-----
Edited by Wandrell at 13:24 on June 2nd, 2009
Posted at 00:55 on June 4th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, they're remaking it to sell on the console online marketplace. Stuff sells like crazy from there so its easy money. Wii and xbox360 come to mind.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 17:47 on June 4th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I don't get the point of this remake. Why just emulate the original version and sell it for a small fee on an download platform? It would be much easier earned money. By making a remake they have an chance to completely destroy an legendary game.
Posted at 18:42 on June 4th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Because most of the people to whom they want to sell it would look at the graphics and say "LOL, what's this shit? I don't play things from the junkjard".

Most of the people look at the graphics. The graphics are great? The game is great. Then see if it is a know label, and if they have played that game already. Just look at the E3, for the little I know about it the news where just that the big companies copied each other and are preparing another game of the bestselling series.

just two of the games for this year seem to try to be new games, Trico and Another M. And both are part of a series. People don't care as long as it is good looking.
Posted at 22:00 on June 4th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Don't forget this is being presented on scan-line TVs. Everything will become somewhat more smeary.

On the opposite side of things, people with HDTVs will be scaling up a 320x200 game to a 1080i resolution! Either it will look like giant blocks snapping around the TV screen or the game display area will be very small with a giant black border around it (5" across maybe? Try to see that from your couch)

Actually looking up wikipedia shows this quote
"The Special Edition features new character art and freshly hand-painted environments, presented in 1080i resolution.[9][10]"

So yeah, that is what they are concerned about.

Also the original graphics will be included in the download, so you can switch to those if you want to!
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 16:29 on June 5th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Tuss at 22:00 on June 4th, 2009:
Also the original graphics will be included in the download, so you can switch to those if you want to!

But then, what's my incentive to buy it. I already own about 10 original copies of Monkey Island ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll