The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - The countdown is on!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

The countdown is on!

Posted at 18:04 on May 31st, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:20 on June 2nd, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Gz on the new site!
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 23:01 on June 11th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I get the following in the top right of the screen. I suspect that it is not supposed to look like this.
Posted at 23:06 on June 11th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Well that's a bit of a problem since guests cannot upload attachments, so I'd better describe the problem :D

The "Browse Archives", "Visit Exhibitions", and "Share Memories" boxes are on top of the "Remember" tick box and the language selection flags.
Posted at 07:32 on June 12th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What's your browser, your screen resolution and your default font size set within the browser?
-----
Posted at 23:54 on June 12th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Sorry for the delay, I've just updated my browser and have been wasting a lot of time trying to get this new version to behave the same as the last. Whoever asks for these "improvements" and why don't the programmers make it easy to revert to the behaviour of previous versions?

Anyway, previously I was using SeaMonkey 2.0.14 and now I am using SeaMonkey 2.1, both on Windows XP, and despite the upgrade the problem I mentioned remains.
Posted at 00:03 on June 13th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I forgot, screen size is 1024x768 (it's a laptop) and the default font size is 12 pixels (well that's what it says in the preferences, I thought that font sizes were usually given in points but there you go). By zooming the text size to 150% then the boxes no longer overlap but by doing this the text becomes a little too large to read comfortably.
Posted at 07:50 on June 13th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I moved the whole thing down a bit and tested it with this font size - it should be ok now.

Of course, the real problem is the that the whole login/logout box on the top right is a big train wreck. It's unbelievably busy and much too crowded. I just couldn't think of an alternative yet. Suggestions welcome!
-----
Posted at 22:43 on June 14th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thanks, it displays properly now or at least how I think it is supposed to look.

Regarding the login area, you could try experimenting with "Username", "Password", and "Login" in one column. Then have the "Remember", "Forum/OpenID", and flags in another column to the right of the first. A bit of trial and error rearrangement may create a better layout, though there are no guarantees.
Posted at 08:45 on June 15th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I took your suggestion and also moved the language selection into the logo section instead. I think this is already quite a bit better - thanks!
-----
Posted at 17:52 on August 2nd, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Got another suggestion: how about comments on editorials?
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 18:15 on August 2nd, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Just open a thread under Site Issues. I used to do that for the old articles, but interest seemed to be extremely low, so I stopped. If there are comments, I'll add a link on the article's page, of course.
-----
Posted at 12:31 on August 4th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Did you get rid of the comics section, or just forget to include the link, or....?
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 12:53 on August 4th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Neither. It's still at /comics/, the link is in the "did you know" bits. It's just less prominent due to almost all external sources treating it as an individual site by linking to that subdirectory directly anyway.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 16:41 on August 4th, 2011
Posted at 16:38 on August 4th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Uh.... I looked all over & couldn't find a link before posting this. Even after your reply, I still don't see a "did you know" think anywhere, let alone a link on the site to the comics section.
(I couldn't remember what the link to the comics section had been before the revamp, so I couldn't go to it directly to see if the page itself was still there.)

On a side note, there seems to be a bug/design flaw in the forum. Your relative link (url)comics(/url) acts as a link relative to the forum, not to the site, sending you to goodolddays.com/FORUM/comics.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 16:42 on August 4th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Cypherswipe at 16:38 on August 4th, 2011:
On a side note, there seems to be a bug/design flaw in the forum. Your relative link (url)comics(/url) acts as a link relative to the forum, not to the site, sending you to goodolddays.com/FORUM/comics.

Uh, yes, that was a user mistake - i.e. mine. Fixed.
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll