Game:

The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Reviewed Games - Comments / Discussion - Escape from Summerland (2012)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Escape from Summerland (2012)

Posted at 14:55 on November 13th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
One major problem with the Annual IF Competition is frustration or at least a general disinterest setting in after playing through dozens of games. So it happened that I did not like Escape from Summerland at all initially: Why is this game on rails, forcing me to go into specific directions when others are mentioned as well? If I can't go anywhere else, just teleport me there! What the fuck are these stupid smileys doing there after every parser message? This is going to be bad! That's what I thought… until I understood what the game was actually doing: It was giving me an extremely helpful introduction to what the game would be about! The railroaded movement showed me the steps which I would have to retrace (in reverse order) later on in order to escape. The seemingly stupid parser responses after the first perspective switch characterised the second playable protagonist in a way that her relevant abilities would become clear immediately. In retrospect, I have only praise for this introduction to the game. Here it is: The example of non-interactive interactivity used for a good purpose!

Read more...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll