The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - v1.9 !? Eye of the Beholder 1, what's the deal?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

v1.9 !? Eye of the Beholder 1, what's the deal?

Posted at 12:01 on July 12th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Hiya!

looking here: http://weekendwastemonster.net/crpgs/eye/eye.html , I found a 1.9 version of EOB1 with this description inside the archive:

Quote:

Eye of the Beholder version 1.9
based on Demo version 1.0
- FIXED: Maps. All rooms unfinished in 1.4 are good for visitation

- FIXED: Joining NPCs. Beohram IS a paladin etc.
- FIXED: Some minor bugs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Feature: Poisons are NOT clearly marked "poison" :-)
- Feature: No problems with Bones, disappearing or left after resurrection

Based on Demo v1.0 ? anyone here has more info on this? Obviously it's a fan-made patch , is it better than original 1.7 version? Never actually played EOB1 (or 3 for that matter, eob2 on the other hand I played to death)

Thanks for any info!
Posted at 14:53 on July 12th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
As far as I remember there was some kind of unofficial patch or addon for one of the earlier parts of the series, which might be this 'v1.9'. I will take a look at it.

The first game had some really silly bugs, like said Beohram being a fighter instead of a paladin (which was kind of obvious since you found a paladin holy symbol together with his bones) and one female NPC being male (well… actually it could also have been a very feminine man).

Just recently I stumbled upon an automapping tool too, which looked really promising.

Edit: I found this interesting thread in which you can find a discussion about this particular version of the game. Mainly it seems to expands the ending by adding a gem that teleports your party to the upper levels, from which you have to flee to the surface.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
-----
Edited by Herr M. at 15:21 on July 12th, 2013
Posted at 23:19 on July 12th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
thanks for the info Herr M. :)
you are right, fixes bugs and expands ending , apparently SSI never finished the game's ending...
I am convinced to play 1.9 instead of the "normal" 1.7/1.4 versions :D

The thread also made me remember the EOB3 "fiasco" , SSI actually included a voucher with EOB3 that said they would release the "new! faster! 32-bit engine" soon... it never came to the light until someone at VOGONS found it... was so excited to try it but I only found it was problematic ... on a real pc it had horrible sound, apparently only DOSBox0.73 plays it OK because it behaves wrong (0.74 has the same problem as real pc...)
Posted at 11:57 on July 13th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 14:53 on July 12th, 2013:
Just recently I stumbled upon an automapping tool too, which looked really promising.

Can you elaborate on that? This would be a really useful enhancement!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:46 on July 13th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by keropi at 23:19 on July 12th, 2013:
The thread also made me remember the EOB3 "fiasco"…

Interesting, never heard of that one, though I the long save/loading times and the game pausing when playing a sound always annoyed me. Do you have any details on the 32-bit version? Where there any changes besides it being 'faster' (and apparently not working all that well on DOS-PCs ;)).

The automap/character editor is called The All-Seeing Eye. It has a rather unusual setup: You have to start the game in DOSBox and start the auto-mapper, which is a seperate windows program. If you can get around this, it seems to be a powerful tool. All the items, monsters, doors and such are shown (though you can turn this of) and you can either explore the map in real time or reveal the whole map at once. It also offers support for multiple savegames for the first part plus a full character editor. Actually I think it looks really fantastic, but I haven't found the time to give it a try yet. I will definitely use it for my next playthrough.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 14:37 on July 13th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ah, interesting, there is even a link to another version with automapping included there on the site: http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB1+AGA+GAME and http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:59 on July 13th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
^ yeah, those amiga versions are made by the great CFOU! , he has contributed many whdload slaves as well... he used assets from DOS versions... there was talk about porting Lands of Lore too IIRC but real-life got to him...

regarding AESOP32, it was *supposed* to be an upgraded engine , faster and better... never got released, he had this beta version on VOGONS but it was half-made or something... very buggy
Posted at 19:10 on July 13th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't have any demo version of Eye of the Beholder, it's surprising how hard it can be to find demos.

And that automap tool looks great, it's too easy to get lost on those Waterdeep dungeons.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll