Game:

The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Music
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

Music

Posted at 23:28 on June 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I'm kind of scared to ask this on this forum, but...

What kind of music do you like?

I like:

Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
The Beatles
The Who
The Guess Who
Beastie Boys
Sublime
Nirvana
Green Day
Incubis
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Weird Al
Buddy Holly

Those are probably my favorite bands. I don't really like a certain style of music more than another.

I'm predicting a lot of 50's music listings in this topic ;)

Edited by Da_Goat at 20:16 on June, 11th 2003
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 05:19 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I only really dislike the extremes (like commercial house, death metal, Brittney-bands,...) But if I had to sum up my favirite bands they would be:

The Doors
The Sisters of Mercy
R.E.M. (the older albums)
Miss Kittin
Leftfield
Within Temptation (the first and third cd... their new material sounds more like Kate Bush but in a bad way)
Lacrimosa
Led Zeppelin
Tom Waits
The Ural 13 Diktators
Velvet Underground Feat. Nico
Jefferson Airplane
Pink Floyd
David Bowie

Edited by Pada1 at 13:19 on June, 11th 2003
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 07:35 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well I will listen to pretty much anything, but the cds that I play the most from my collection are

Dashboard Confessional
Offspring
Eminem
Cosmic Gate
Underworld
Living End
Chili Peppers
& The Guano Apes
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 07:50 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Da Goat: I guess you forgot The Kinks in your list. ;)

Pada1: Lacrimosa? Is it this German wave/"I want to die as soon as possible"/depression band that I think it is? :worried: Moreover, I'd be interested in knowing what "The Ural 13 Diktators" is. Sounds interesting. ;)

As for me, just a few examples of my classic favourites so everyone can imagine the rest (no specific order):

Strike Anywhere
Minor Threat
Black Flag
7 Seconds
Youth Brigade
Oi Polloi
(Good old) Bad Religion
El Mariachi
Propagandhi
NOFX
Adhesive
Circle Jerks

...and of course Modern Talking, Samantha Fox and Culture Club ;)
Posted at 07:51 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Sterge10: Wow, Living End? I saw them live some years ago, and they kicked ass! :D
Posted at 07:54 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Vangelis
Enya
Enigma
Adiemus
Dead Can Dance
Michael Jarre
Yanni
Mike Oldfield
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 07:56 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Guano Apes? Wow, I didn't know they still existed and that they're even somewhat known internationally! All I remember of them was when they won some 'best newcomer' award of a local radio station here in the mid-90s. Back then, I thought their popularity would never extent over northern Germany ;)

Anyway, here's a list of some bands/artists which somehow represent my musical taste. It's in no way complete or anything else: The Clash, The Police, The Stooges, Iggy Pop, The Stranglers, Live,... I also have quite a few 90s "punk" CDs (NOFX, NUFAN and such) which I even sometimes still listen to (they're not even half bad), but I doubt I'd still buy them now - I'm somehow over that phase in my life. Then there is what I call "guilty pleasures": music which is objectively seen quite embarassing, music which I probably wouldn't turn on if there was anyone else around. 80s pop music and such ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:53 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Tapuak: Yup, you're totally right there... I do mean the German wave band but then again I used to be a fanatical Waver e few years ago... the last few years I've been broadening my horizons with other genres... Not that I'm all that fanatical about music... last cd I bought was I think in december two years ago...
The Diktators have a very seperate style of Electronic music in my opinion. I especially like the vectron remix of "the name of the game" should you come across it somewhere... definatly worth checking out... for more info on them, I would suggest reading their webpage (http://www.ural13records.com) but I just noticed that apparently it changed since my last visit and is now just an add for their latest album. Anyway, a dicography of them can be found here
Perhaps the mole can give some additional info seeing as he's the one thanks to whom I know them...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 12:23 on June 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well, about the Ural 13 Diktators: they're a duo from Finland, constantly dressed in military outfits, and their music is somewhat of a crossover between electronic disco and folkloric Russian tunes. Imagine something like Daft Punk getting into Russian folk music melodies, and sounding less pretentious. They also have a fan club in which every member has a military rank and can get a promotion buy buying their records and going to their shows and stuff, of course none of this is to be taken very seriously, their 'work' is full of jokes and references to the sound of Abba and other campy acts.

Anyway, some examples of my taste (eclectic as hell), but I'm sure you won't find it very interesting, although if you should you can always ask for more info, and of course I've probably left some out:

Rock: Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age, Fu Manchu, Foo Fighters, No Fun At All, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Soundgarden...

Techno/Electro: Adam Beyer, Funk D'Void, Miss Kittin, Anthony Rother, Bangkok Impact, Dopplereffekt, Felix Da Housecat, Fischerspooner, Vitalic, Speedy J, Capitol K, Aril Brikha, Derrick May, Jeff Mills, Legowelt, Heiko Laux, Johannes Heil, Alexander Kowalski...

Downbeat/Ambient: Autechre, Boards Of Canada, Ulrich Schnauss, Pulusha, Solar Fields, Woob, µ-Ziq, Manuel Goetssching's E2-E4...

'Oldies': Well, not necessarily that old, but I do like some disco (!) by Donna Summer, or any dance record produced by Giorgio Moroder, and that song 'Funky Town' by Lipps, Inc.. And I've got some Sister Sledge too. And then from the 80s there are some really cheesy songs that I like and that I get pissed of about when they're redone in some sort of trancy-trashy version, such as: Madonna, Don Henley (Boys Of Summer - yes I'm ashamed), some Bryan Adams, A-ha (Take On Me; The Sun Always Shines On TV)..., and a lot from the wave of electronic "Italo-Disco" that hit Europe in the late 80s. And finally, and ultimately embarassing, I have a compilation of "Happy Hardcore", extremely fast breakbeat hardcore, drum & bass avant-la-lettre if you wish, with childishly happy melodies and vocals of 80s pop all over it... I got kind of tired of that but I actually still like some of the tracks on that record.

:embarassed:

P.S.: I could tell you weren't really interested. ;)

Edited by The Mole at 20:25 on June, 11th 2003
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 00:37 on June 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Tupak: Living End are a home grown Melbourne band, I saw them most recently at Big Day Out (Possibly Australias biggest music tour) and after the Foo Fighters were the best set of the day, the mosh pit there went off.

Mr. C: Guano Apes are the best, I do remember back in the day making a threwad about them in the old forum, I think :S
-----
Posted at 04:05 on June 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I should add Tupak listens to Tupac ;)
-----
Posted at 11:28 on June 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Tupac was suppose to come back from the dead this year, but he didn't! I wonder why not...

These are the CDs I have:

The White Stripes
Matthew Good
Flogging Molly
The Living End
The Clash
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Lynyrd Skynyrd
O Brother, Where art thou Soundtrack (Blues)
The Blues Brothers
The Cure
A load of vareity Jazz
A load of vareity Classical
and a bunch of tapes my sister made for me with that mid 90s punk stuff.

Hmm... I like a lot more bands, but I can't think of em right now.

Tapuak: That eerily represents my roommates CD collection.

Quote:
and that song 'Funky Town' by Lipps, Inc.

Ugh! I'm so sick of that song! For some reason, they play it constantly on the radio here.

Oh yeah, Eminem is the bane of my existence, but don't take it personally ;)
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 11:35 on June 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Pada1, Mole: I listened to the Ural 13 diktators song on their site, guess it isn't exactly my style. Too much standard samples and beats, too little heart for me. Sounds like an electonic side project of the Leningrad Cowboys. ;) Thanks for the info anyway!

Quote:
Posted by sterge10: Living End are a home grown Melbourne band, I saw them most recently at Big Day Out (Possibly Australias biggest music tour) and after the Foo Fighters were the best set of the day, the mosh pit there went off.

I knew they were from Australia, but honestly I didn't know they have become such a big band there (considering they played with the Foo Fighters). :o

Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote: I should add Tupak listens to Tupac ;)

Possibly he does, who knows? :P
Posted at 14:19 on June 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Big, because they played with the Foo Fighters? Come on, this band didn't even have its full 15 minutes of fame back in the 90s! If someone 'played' with U96 these days, would you call them 'big'?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:22 on June, 12th 2003
-----
Posted at 20:51 on June 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
At the Gates
Posted at 00:37 on June 13th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Living End have a fair following but Big Day Out is like Warp Tour a whole heap of bands on the one day. Living End played 2 bands before the Foo. But that same day had Millencolin, 28 Days, Jimmy Eat World, Underworld, Queens of the Stone Age, Deftones, Xhibit.

Dexturus one of my friends bought an at the gates cd the other day, we have all shunned him now (always thought he was werid)
-----
Posted at 03:49 on June 13th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Well sterge, judging by the kind of kiddy music you listen to, I guess At the Gates is indeed weird :P
Posted at 06:14 on June 13th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I enjoy good Death Metal as much as the next guy. I just didn't happen to list any in my cd list.
-----
Posted at 06:21 on June 13th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm the next guy in this thread (because this is my post ;)), and I think Death Metal is for teenagers who think they might be able to 'shock' someone with that crap :P
-----
Posted at 08:02 on June 13th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
But you would disagree with whatever I said :P
and anyway I like all types of music except for teenybopper crap. Oh and Mr. C I am a teenager:P
-----
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll